Cooper Keypad Scene Indicator Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooper Keypad Scene Indicator Light

I have 10 Cooper 5-button keypads. Each button controls triggers a Homeseer event. 3 of the buttons are common to all the keypads. How do I make pressing a common button on one keypad turn on the indicator light on the same button on other keypads?
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    6 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

These cooper 5 button scene controllers are notorious for having LED out of sync issues. I have 2 scene controllers in my kitchen and sometimes when I trigger an event that turns on a scene button a completely different button LED lights up. My best success with keeping LEDs in sync, unfortunately, is to use scenes instead of events. Homeseer does a good job keeping LEDs in sync for scenes. Events are another story.

If you have success I'd be interested to hear your story.

Some good reading (search RFWC5):
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ighlight=RFWC5

Comment

Coordinating the Cooper Keypad Indicator lights seemed like a simple task. After all, there are two actions available: Turn On an Indicator and Turn Off an Indicator. But, of course, these don't simply turn the light on or off, they actually run the associated button event. Surely there is some reasonable means of synchronizing the keypad indicator lights???
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

I'm interested in how to do this as well. Anyone? What's the difference between the z-wave actions "turn on an indicator" and "activate a scene" ?? For the Cooper controllers, there doesn't appear to be any difference. Turning on the indicator also activates the scene. Bug??

--------
        Denny
        Last edited by carletondm; May 18, 2016, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I have found the same. Turning on indicator also runs event associated with activating a scene

Comment

Bug reported

Comment

Cooper 5 Button Controller & Zwave switch - Similar concept?

I am not trying to hijack this thread...I think I have a very similar question. If it is too different, please let me know and I will start a new thread.

I think I'm trying to do something very similar. I just installed my first Cooper 5 Button Controllers. I was able to figure out how to program the first button. I am very simply trying to have the first button turn the Kitchen ceiling lights on and off. I was able to successfully turn the lights on and off by hitting the first button on the Cooper controller with the following configuration:

However, I would like to be able to "turn the scene off" and "turn the LED of the the Cooper controller off" when i turn the kitchen lights off with the actual zwave switch that controls them.

Is it possible to do that? Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do that? (Sorry - I am very new to scenes.)

Thanks for any guidance.

Ed

Comment

Edvins, you have not hijacked this thread, your question is perfectly appropriate. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the answer is that these Cooper keypads are really not very good, especially considering their price. Mine will not synchronize the on-off LEDs, a hard command to turn the LED off does not work, and from time to time, even though I have programmed mine as simple events, they will suddenly decide that I have called for a scene which is not set up. For what seems like a relatively simple device made by an otherwise good manufacturer, I am terribly disappointed with these, especially since I bought 10 of them.
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Ouch!

Thanks Sheriff.

I too would be upset if I were in for 10! So far I only have 1. (That's bad enough) These looked like they show a lot of promise. I was hoping they would work better.

I will keep playing with it, and if I happen to stumble upon a solution that works, I will let you know.

So - is it possible to trigger some kind of "scene OFF" signal when I turn of a normal Cooper Zwave light switch?

Is there an option other than the Cooper 5-scene controller that DOES work well?

thanks again!

Comment

Not sure what progress you guys have made with the LEDs but i have three switches set up with three buttons on each being used to drive a scene and found the led tracking wasnt the greatest. I then set events to track the actual status of the output device to trigger the LEDs. The trick wad to update the pole interval of the output device

Comment

Much progress, Jgarbus. Somewhere there is more detail in another thread. HS had a bug in the led light on-off control and they have now repaired it, update your HS. Setting up events on a button sometimes requires some patience and several optimizations, but I was able to get all 10 keypads operating reliably. For those keypads that trigger the same event, I have an action that also turns on or off the led light(s) on other keypads as appropriate. This is solved for me.
                      HS4Pro on Windows 10
                      6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Sheriff,

I have a few Copper 5 button controllers.

I thought you solved it for me, but the Z-Wave action doesn't work on my system, any idea's or if you looked at my logic below should it work?

Here's how I have configured one of them.
                        (B)uttons 3, 4 and 5 to control the main floor lighting via events.

B3=Full On
                        B4=Medium 50%
                        B5=Low 20%
                        I'm trying to get the indicator lights to correspond to the last button pressed when controlling this group of lights.
                        But it looks like the Z-Wave action in these events actually causes the corresponding buttons Event to run and turn the lights off.

Here's B5 event for setting light group to 20% and turn indicator light off on B3 and B4.

IF Node 42 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 5 changes and becomes Scene On

Then Turn OFF the indicator on Node 42 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 4
                        Then Turn OFF the indicator on Node 42 Z-Wave Scene Controller Button 3

Set Devices Main Dinning Room Dining Room Pendant to Dim 25%
                        Main Living Room Fireplace Art Lights to Dim 25%
                        Main Living Room Living Room Lights to Dim 20%
                        Main Dinning Room Dining Room Lights to Dim 20%
                        Main Kitchen Island Lights to Dim 20%
                        Main Kitchen Pantry Lights to Dim 20%
                        Main Kitchen Kitchen Lights to Dim 20%
                        Main Kitchen Kitchen Hall Lights to Dim 20%

Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Device Control Device: Main Kitchen Island Lights to Off (0)
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Device Control Device: Main Dinning Room Dining Room Lights to Off (0)
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Device Control Device: Main Living Room Living Room Lights to Off (0)
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Device Control Device: Main Living Room Fireplace Art Lights to Off (0)
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Device Control Device: Main Dinning Room Dining Room Pendant to Off (0)
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Event Event Trigger "Manage Lighting Main floor lights off - Button 3"
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Z-Wave Device: Main Kitchen Kitchen Lights Set to 20
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Z-Wave Device: Main Kitchen Pantry Lights Set to 20
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Z-Wave Device: Main Kitchen Island Lights Set to 20
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Z-Wave Device: Main Dinning Room Dining Room Lights Set to 20
                        Feb-07 10:48:46 PM Z-Wave Device: Main Living Room Living Room Lights Set to 20
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Z-Wave Device: Main Living Room Fireplace Art Lights Set to 25
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Z-Wave Device: Main Dinning Room Dining Room Pendant Set to 25
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Device Control Device: Main Kitchen Kitchen Hall Lights to Dim 20% (20)
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Device Control Device: Main Kitchen Kitchen Lights to Dim 20% (20)
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Device Control Device: Main Kitchen Pantry Lights to Dim 20% (20)
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Device Control Device: Main Kitchen Island Lights to Dim 20% (20)
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Device Control Device: Main Dinning Room Dining Room Lights to Dim 20% (20)
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Device Control Device: Main Living Room Living Room Lights to Dim 20% (20)
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Device Control Device: Main Living Room Fireplace Art Lights to Dim 25% (25)
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Device Control Device: Main Dinning Room Dining Room Pendant to Dim 25% (25)
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Event Event Trigger "Manage Lighting Main floor lights Dim Button 5"
                        Feb-07 10:48:45 PM Event Event Manage Lighting Main floor lights Dim Button 5 triggered by the event page 'Run' button.

Software info.
                        Current Date/Time: 2/7/2017 10:46:44 PM Pacific Standard Time
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.298 (Windows)
                        HomeSeer: Is Registered
                        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - Work Station
                        OS Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack: 1.0

Cheers,

Keith

Comment

Keith, as i reported, I had virtually the same problems. After visiting with a Homeseer tech, they reported it was a bug that had been repaired. I dont recall what needed the update, but today I am running HS Pro .297 and HSTouch .75. My 10 Coopers operate flawlessly, including my events that coordinate all of the LED lights on the various pads. There is a thread somewhere that describes the steps to enroll each button; it involves the zwave setting for each button and adding Homeseer as the device to be controlled by each button. You must enroll each keypad and then optimize every button (3 times each in my case). Even then, I initially had some unresponsive buttons that I had to re-enroll. All of this was a pain with 50 buttons, but it worked.
                          HS4Pro on Windows 10
                          6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

A little bit of Internet Necromancy here in this thread again, but I bought one of these and am having similar troubles. I want to love this thing so much because it would be so useful in many locations.

So I've got it paired correctly, all 5 buttons show in HS3. No events assigned to any buttons, just blank scenes.

In the HS3 web interface, if I press in Scene On in sequence for buttons 1,2,3,4 - buttons 1,2 and 3 will light up, but as soon as I hit Scene On for button 4, button 4 lights up but button 3 turns back off! If I go forward and hit Scene On for button 5, button 1 turns off and they all seem to slide down, almost like there is a math error in the firmware for which buttons should be lit.

To make it worse, the switch appears to use the LED status to determine what should shouldn't be on. So say I've hit Scene On 1 through 4 in HS3 with the same result as above. LEDs 1,2 and 4 are on, 3 is off. If I push button 4 on the controller itself, it will then turn off scene 3 apparently because its LED was not lit. Very bizarre behavior in general when multiple LED's are lit and different ones are turned on/off remotely and locally.

Is there something I'm missing? Someone mentioned optimizing each button individually. Could try that.

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.313
                            Enabled Plug-Ins
                            3.0.0.104: HSTouch Server
                            3.0.0.22: Nest
                            3.0.1.110: Z-Wave

Comment

You just described exactly the issues I initially had. Take heart, the keypads will work and be everything you hoped they would be, it just takes a lot of screwing with to get there. Enough time has passed that I don't remember all the details, but the solution is in this thread. Read all of the postings; one of them will point you to another thread that has some important instructions.
                              HS4Pro on Windows 10
                              6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Working...
                              X