Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to avoid Motion Detection when Lights go On & Off

Guys
    I have several outdoor Dahua IP cameras. If I turn On/Off the outside light near the camera, the camera will record this activity as Motion Detection.

the cameras are registered with my synology surveillance station.

Any suggestions in the way of logic or camera settings to avoid motion detection when lights go on/off?
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
    Guys
    I have several outdoor Dahua IP cameras. If I turn On/Off the outside light near the camera, the camera will record this activity as Motion Detection.

the cameras are registered with my synology surveillance station.

Any suggestions in the way of logic or camera settings to avoid motion detection when lights go on/off?
    I use the motion detection capability of my Hikvision cams and had the same problem. I now set a virtual device to On a few seconds before the lights change state and then to Off again a few seconds after. I test for the state of the virtual device in my event stack that determines what to do when motion is triggered. This has solved that problem entirely.

However, after a long period of very few false triggers (I use a trigger mask in the cam setup), yesterday I had false triggers multiple times during the day. It was the weather! We had a mixture of sun and clouds and it was quite windy. The switch between sun and shade was quick enough to trigger motion on the cameras. If this becomes a more constant problem I will probably go to a wired motion detector when I get around to replacing my alarm panel. Yesterday it was kind of funny as my Sonos kept on playing the doorbell chime and my 3 year old asked every time who was at the door.
    cheeryfool

Comment

so if i understand correctly, you disabled the motion detection on the hikvision camera, and used Homeseer to start and stop the recording based on your virtual device.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

so if i understand correctly, you disabled the motion detection on the hikvision camera, and used Homeseer to start and stop the recording based on your virtual device.
        Sorry, should have been clearer and I needed to go take another look at the setup also...

I am not actually using the motion trigger from the Hikvision cam, I am using the motion trigger from BlueIris s/w which is managing 4 cameras. This is highly flexible and means that I can normalise the behaviour between cameras from different manufacturers.

When motion is detected by BI, I have it set to send a JSON command to run a top level event in HS3:

"Front Door Motion from Hikvision Cam"

This has actions to run multiple other events if those events' conditions are true. One of those is my Sonos Doorbell chime event and I use the virtual device as a condition in that event.

I turn the virtual device on/off as actions either side of the lights going on or off in the same events that control the lights.

So, I am not preventing the motion trigger, just deciding when to ignore it and that's just a few seconds.

From a recording perspective, Blue Iris only records alert clips when it detects motion - my choice. It also has a clever feature called MakeTime, that prepends 2 seconds of video before the alert. It has to record full-time to do this, but it only keeps the 2 most recent seconds available to stitch to the front of a motion triggered recorded file.

All of that said, I think the Hikvision cams can send similar motion trigger commands, it's just that I found the BI config and functionality more streamlined - expecially across different cam types.
        cheeryfool

Comment

thanks for the details. So i am using Synology Surv Station in place of your BlueIris

so do you use the blue iris plugin to start and stop the recording based on motion detection?
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

thanks for the details. So i am using Synology Surv Station in place of your BlueIris

so do you use the blue iris plugin to start and stop the recording based on motion detection?

No, I am not using the BI plugin currently. BI s/w records every time the BI motion triggers and it's saved offsite. I have the pushover plugin notify me and I can jump to the BI app on my phone to check the video clip if I want to.

There's a huge amount of flexibility in the BI software and quite a lot I am not using like multiple profiles and schedules etc. I think the plugin provides easy integration with that type of functionality.
            cheeryfool

Comment

so basically BI is recording motion clips all the time to include (lights on and lights off) but you only get notified based on your events/triggers, is that correct?
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
              X