LED Spots w/color control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Spots w/color control

I've been looking for some LED spotlights that have color control. I ran across these today:

https://deals.inetinteractive.com/sa...m_medium=email

I'm not sure how well they would work as spots, but my main question is, would there be a way to control these via HS3?

Any other suggestions for LED spotlights that HS3 could control the color of would be welcomed, too.

David

They are fairly rubbish I am afraid, eBay/DealExtreme/BangGood are littered with them and I would say you could probably get them for a tenth of that price. They are generic and I bought one for curiosity and it lasted about two weeks. They are IR controlled which is not ideal and whilst you could control from HS I found it unreliable.

Comment

Not much light.

Similar bulbs have been around for a LONG time. I have 8 of them. SOME of them remember their last STATE when power cycled. Not all do... They don't put out much light. It would take several to light a room and the white light is pretty harsh and COLD. These are decent in floor standing cans in a room corner or behind a plant. Not much else. I have used them in a deep can light as sort of a spotlight for a mirror ball. Worked OK.

Pay the extra spendoolies for a LIFX or Hue if you want color. The LIFX bulbs are pretty awesome.

Comment

The Hue and LIFX look interesting. I need spots that will do all colors, including white. Now.....would I be able to control these with HS3? My searches have been for Z-Wave LED color changing spots, and so far, I've come up empty handed.

Comment

Originally posted by david.delano View Post
          ....I need spots that will do all colors, including white.
          I chose LIFX over the Hue because they were brighter. They are not spots. ...and they are not supposed to be used outdoors (though I have one on my covered porch!) The colors on the LIFX are good. What I am most impressed with though are the whites. There is one setting that is indistinguishable from a 60W incandescent bulb.

What is your application?

Comment

Essentially stage lighting for church.

I have four spots that aim from a beam towards the front of the "stage" and three in the ceiling that shine down. I need to add a couple further in front - on another beam 15' away. I'd like to add some color at some point. The LED bulbs I'm using are the brightest I've found, but in the 65-100W equivalent level. I DO have these on Z-Wave switches, so I can dim them.

Comment

Originally posted by david.delano View Post
              ..... I DO have these on Z-Wave switches, so I can dim them.
              While the LIFX bulbs are not spots, they act similarly when placed in a can fixture.... They will work with some dimming switches but do not like to be dimmed.

Comment

I have several HUE used as up and down lighting.. love them
                have had two failures in the last year, both were replaced without issue
                Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

I am revisiting this again.....

There is a plugin for the LIFX bulbs, so that is promising.

AND, there is a BR30 LIFX bulb. I've ordered a couple to try out.

Comment

I had a chance to try out one of the new bulbs today. I think I have an issue that I'm going to work out. I currently have the tracks controlled by a Z-Wave dimmer. When I turn the track on/off or dim, the bulb (of course) loses communication. I think I could still work with this if I could set the bulb to the color setting I want, then control the on/off from Z-Wave, but I think I lose the capability to dim the Z-Wave dimmer.

Things were going well, though it took a few tries to link up with the bulb. I had the color set to match the other bulbs, and I was dimming it to match the intensity. I was down to about 30% when I lost communication with the bulb and couldn't get it back online. I ran out of time, so just put the other bulb back in. If I am going to have to leave these bulbs on all the time, and use the LIFX app to control them, I'm going to have to wait until I get the PC version of HS3 installed, so I can use the plugin to control them.....then I can pull the Z-Wave dimmers. But, I'll need two more bulbs to do that. And time.....

David

Comment

For what it's worth I just saw some Mi-Light LED spots with color control on Amazon and thought of your thread. I don't normally see spot lights, just regular color changing bulbs. The base is GU10 but perhaps you can easily find a corresponding fixture if interested.

Comment

Thanks for the info, but the interface pretty makes it a no-go. These are also about half the wattage the LIFX are (75w equiv.).

I've started to test out the plugin to see what control I will get.

David

Comment

Working...
                        X