Need a landscape transformer that lights when power resets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a landscape transformer that lights when power resets

I just installed a 300 watt transformer for landscape lighting. I have it powered from a z-wave switch wired to control the outlet.

Current problem is the transformer has to be manually reset (button press for digital timer control) every time HS turns back on.

Does anyone know of a transformer that can turn on the landscape lights when power is restored to the transformer - No manual intervention needed?

I want to control the landscape lights through HS via my z-wave switch and not a timer on the transformer.

Thanks

All the transformers I have provide a means to bypass the timer function. If you look for the kind that has a motor with pins that physically move a switch as the motor turns, all you need to do is remove the pins.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Is this the unit you have? See http://www.lowes.com/pd_534701-93591...=999928302&Ntt=

I have two of these, one I purchased several years ago and the other one just last week. The old unit works fine with the Insteon on/off unit when set with a setting of 9. However the new unit (looks just like the old 300 watt unit), it has to be reset and for some reason does not retain the settings every few days. The new unit has some sort of delay (30 to 60 seconds). The old unit comes on almost instantly when power is applied.

Very strange, I am thinking about opening the case and having a look to see if bypassing the internal electronics is possible.
      Billy

Comment

Yes, that is the exact unit I just bought. There wasn't any other 300w to choose from when I was at that store. No old style dial with pins.

When z-wave turns power back on to that outlet, the digital readout is still set to zero (on), but I have to manually cycle through the numbers to zero again for the lights to come on.

-Edit: regarding the delay. Mine was still not on after hour+ of power on it.

Comment

How about eBay?
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malibu-ML200...wAAOSw~oFXM~wD
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by FLtechie View Post
            I just installed a 300 watt transformer for landscape lighting. I have it powered from a z-wave switch wired to control the outlet.

Current problem is the transformer has to be manually reset (button press for digital timer control) every time HS turns back on.

Does anyone know of a transformer that can turn on the landscape lights when power is restored to the transformer - No manual intervention needed?

I want to control the landscape lights through HS via my z-wave switch and not a timer on the transformer.

Thanks
            Originally posted by bdraper View Post
            Is this the unit you have? See http://www.lowes.com/pd_534701-93591...=999928302&Ntt=

I have two of these, one I purchased several years ago and the other one just last week. The old unit works fine with the Insteon on/off unit when set with a setting of 9. However the new unit (looks just like the old 300 watt unit), it has to be reset and for some reason does not retain the settings every few days. The new unit has some sort of delay (30 to 60 seconds). The old unit comes on almost instantly when power is applied.

Very strange, I am thinking about opening the case and having a look to see if bypassing the internal electronics is possible.
            TC, did you ever get this sorted out? I was able to crack the case on mine yesterday after mowing the grass. It was very easy to bypass the internal electronics, mine required no wire cutting. Actually taking the screws out of the case took longer than the bypass. Once you get the screws out, mine had two black wires one going to the high voltage side of the transformers, and of course the black from the power plug, these wires were separated by the internal electronics.

Sorry I did not take any pictures, did not think about it at the time.
            Billy

Comment

I spent all weekend doing yard work -mostly landscaping plants and irrigation, but did not have a chance to look at the transformer. I will try to after work tomorrow now that I know you were able to easily bypass the digital timer.

No cutting and splicing? Are there connectors or screws to terminate inside?

Thanks for your update.

Comment

Thanks
                I've had great luck with these. They're rock solid, SS case and you can change the output voltage for long runs..

http://www.landscapelightingworld.co...7300w-1215.htm

Z

Comment

Here went to LCD and DC lighting on multiple DIN dual output meanwell power supplies for some 12 zones of lighting. Been working fine switching all of the devices via one UPB switch.

That said I have a few commercial style landscaping lighting transformers if you want one cheap...just have to pay for shipping and they are a bit heavy. The range from 300-1000 watt; multiple voltage outputs, toroidal and fused individual outputs. With long runs of 12 VAC you need the higher voltages.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
                    I've had great luck with these. They're rock solid, SS case and you can change the output voltage for long runs..

http://www.landscapelightingworld.co...7300w-1215.htm

Z
                    Those are great, I have 3 x 300W and 1 x 900W model... I'm all LEDs, so I barely tap into total power of any of them,.. I think I'm just under 200W on the 900 and in the 70s on the other. I could probably do the whole 1.5 acre yard with just the 900W, but there comes a point where both the cost of long lengths of wire and hassle of getting wire under concrete becomes too much and it's cheaper and more convenient just to add more transformers. Fortunately I placed about a dozen 120V outlets throughout the yard before the driveway and lawn went it. The Intermatic Astronomic Digital Timer they sell with them works great, and I use them instead of Zwave (which everything else is on).

The neat thing is, out of the box, these have no timer circuitry at all, just a manual switch and a place to plug the transformer into where the power comes into the box. The Intermatic timer, and I imagine most appliance modules, fit inside the housing out of the weather, simplifying installation. The only issue would be how well RF (if using Zwave or other RF only tech) would penetrate the metal housing.
                    John
                    Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                    Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                    HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                    Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
                      TC, did you ever get this sorted out? I was able to crack the case on mine yesterday after mowing the grass. It was very easy to bypass the internal electronics, mine required no wire cutting. Actually taking the screws out of the case took longer than the bypass. Once you get the screws out, mine had two black wires one going to the high voltage side of the transformers, and of course the black from the power plug, these wires were separated by the internal electronics.

Sorry I did not take any pictures, did not think about it at the time.
                      I opened mine up tonight and bypassed the electronics. Connections use wire nuts so it was quick and simple. I cut the zip tie so I could expose the wiring to see it more clearly and put a new zip tie on when I was done. It's working great with HS now.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and offer. The toroidal transformers are nicer than what I ended up with. The Volts in the link provided are very nice and show on sale right now.

Comment

I opened mine up tonight and bypassed the electronics. Connections use wire nuts so it was quick and simple. I cut the zip tie so I could expose the wiring to see it more clearly and put a new zip tie on when I was done. It's working great with HS now.
                          Good deal, glad you got it working.
                          Billy

Comment

Working...
                          X