How many people use Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macromark View Post
    Just read it... very nice. Thanks! Good point of the default voice too; we feel the same. We're using it because the overhead is minimal. Did you find an alternate voice that's smooth?
    I think I went with rms. There were a couple of close seconds that were better than the default IMO. Pete pointed out the pre-loaded voices in this thread:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=170187

Comment

I think that Vera, smarthings etc prove that plug n play is not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OK, since we've confirmed that Vera is for suckers, let's get back on topic. Do you think it's fair to say that the average HS user is running 4 PIs? I said "average"... I know there are some of you that are running every protocol known to man.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpuppy View Post
          I've also always used that number as a metric, but now that the OP put out this question, which is a great one and one I've always wondered about, let's keep going with our theories.

I will discount those who don't need any assistance (aka Homeseer savants) to 1-2% of the user base. I believe that 5% (at most) of users would rely solely on phone support, which means that the rest must either rely on the forum (registered user or just guest browsing) or rely on a friend who participates or reads the forum. There are about 5000 registered users of the forum (Community -> Members List). I bet that for every 1 registered user there's 4-5 guests who get enough info to get their system running without having to post. The 5000 encompasses HS2 users who either stayed with HS2 or moved on to HS3. Anyway, that gets us to 25,000.

An alternative metric would be to go by the number of licenses that have been issued. If we're close to 90,000 license IDs, assuming that the first HS license was #1 (assuming that HS2 used the same licensing incrementing technique), assuming less than one thousand refunds, and assuming (yes, lots of assumptions here) that each user has 4 licenses (is that too few, too many?), then we get to around 20,000 users. Of note, conservatively, I think HS issues 1000+ licenses per month based on my own license IDs and when each was obtained.

If I were a gambling man, I'd say 25k users, but would go higher if the license calculation started started at something earlier than ID 1 wrt HS3. Since HSTouch on Google Play says 10k-50k and because that version is only for HS3, and I'm assuming there's a 4:1 ratio of HS3 to HS1 users, then I will assume 12k are on HS3 and 3k are on HS2. Multiply that by two to get the iOS users and we have close to 30k users, but discount that by 5k due to numbnuts downloading the app without even knowing what HS is and we're back to 25k. Of course, I'm sure Mark will neither confirm or deny and this message could self-destruct if I'm right
          Dang!

Sent from my moto x

Comment

I'm running 4 PIs but would likely be running more if I was not close to the 5 PI Zee S2 limit.

Enabled Plug-Ins
            3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
            3.0.5959.34353: UltraM1G3
            3.0.0.50: weatherXML
            3.0.1.77: Z-Wave

Comment

Sickpuppy, Brilliant! Like the way you approached this!

Sent from my iPhone
              Tom
              baby steps...starting again with HS3
              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Thanks! Qui tacet consentire for Mark? -- silence is deemed to be acceptance

Comment

Originally posted by sickpuppy View Post
                  OK, since we've confirmed that Vera is for suckers, let's get back on topic. Do you think it's fair to say that the average HS user is running 4 PIs? I said "average"... I know there are some of you that are running every protocol known to man.
                  I would consider myself fairly average with a normal sized home etc. I exceeded four plug ins before I even got my first devices online. Depending on what you want the system to do it can be pretty easy to do. I use 2 PIs just for geofence and alerts, 1 for zwave... and in short order there you go the addiction begins and you are off to the races. The other thing I found once I switched to HS is the wife acceptance has gone way up and so is the device count and complexity.

just my .02

Comment

I now run 4 but can see 6 that would be of use. I could easily ditch imperihome if hstouch for the iPhone was less buggy.

I think the average user could get away with 4 plug ins easily.

Comment

I would think in the realm of HS and this forum, I am among what I would consider average. It is still very much a DIY platform, and with that comes tinkering, which I would think is the main bread and butter for the software sales.

My plugin count is up there (some disabled because I haven't needed them anymore, or I am still working on other things).

Now I would consider the Zee to be in the same arena as vera and some of the other small boxes, but not because its the same platform, but because it's cost is low, but the system is limited to 5 plugins. To me this is a great move by HS because it's like the crack dealer giving a free sample. I would imagine that most zee purchases are end up in 2 places, 1. second vacation home where not much is needed and 2. upgraded to the full version because the user has exceeded it (wanted to start small to get into the game) and was happy with the software.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm new to homeseer.
                        I have to say though the plug in thing is a bit of a nightmare.

I've had a browse through them but to be honest my biggest issue is working out what the hell they do.

Some I must say seem to be good and useful but others are a mystery as to why you would use them.

A decent description would be handy [emoji6]

Comment

Homeseer has seemed to shift their model to relying more on 3rd party developers vs in house plugins (reason I have never really seen the purpose of paying for Pro as you still have to pay for the 3rd party PI) except for the core plugins like zwave and HSTouch, and with this probably comes a lack of description of the features and functionality of most plugins.

This is one thing that I think HS could improve upon, forcing 3rd party to be a little more descriptive in their makings. But, HS themselves has always been a little lacking on the documentation themselves.

I have learned most from the forums on how to do things and which plugins are the best for my needs. Again I think this goes into the model and platform of what the software is, DIY.

The market is changing though, and I think the days of DIY in automation being a money maker are going to shift to Plug and Play. Look at computers, only us nerdy type used to build computers when you had dip switches to make settings changes, when plug and play type stuff started coming to the market, pretty much everyone now can build a computer with very little knowledge. You will see a shift and hopefully HS can adjust to that coming shift and maintain market share.

Wouldn't it be nice to just add a motion sensor to a room and it knows what other devices are in that room and builds the logic for you automatically based off a couple questions? That is probably coming sooner than we think.

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                            Also an x Vera user.. and wow, it's night and day, no matter how hard you try, there really is no objective way to compare the two.

It's like trying to compare the newer Dodge Dart with a Viper... Vera is a tinker toy as compared to HS, not even in the same universe.

Have to agree, started out on Smartthings, tried Vera when Smartthings got to the point that we just turned it off and vera didn't make it past the 30 day trial before we were extremely unhappy and the wife just about made me exit stage right.

Enter Homeseer, did the trial and never looked back. The wife has even open the coffers further to allow for more integration and automation. Moral of the story, had I gone straight to HS I might have saved even more than what the cost of the software is and maybe not. Having been through the plug and play failure helped me through the understanding of the need for complexity and robustness. I will say I have stuff running now with HS that would have taken lots of very custom programming with SmartThings if I could have done it at all. Not to mention when they push and update and you are screwed because nothing works.

Comment

Originally posted by gd1210 View Post
                              I'm new to homeseer.
                              I have to say though the plug in thing is a bit of a nightmare.

I've had a browse through them but to be honest my biggest issue is working out what the hell they do.

Some I must say seem to be good and useful but others are a mystery as to why you would use them.

A decent description would be handy [emoji6]
                              I have had the same problem, only been on the system for a couple of months now. I found out about a few plugin just by asking how to do stuff on the forums and people pointed in the right direction. Overall I don't need very many of them and can get the most out of what I currently have. That being said I just started playing around with BLOccupy today and I got to stay it is making getting ready for summer trips a lot easier.

I found the plug-in forums to be a lot easier to figure out what they do and how people use them.

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1318

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                                Homeseer has seemed to shift their model to relying more on 3rd party developers vs in house plugins (reason I have never really seen the purpose of paying for Pro as you still have to pay for the 3rd party PI) except for the core plugins like zwave and HSTouch, and with this probably comes a lack of description of the features and functionality of most plugins.

This is one thing that I think HS could improve upon, forcing 3rd party to be a little more descriptive in their makings. But, HS themselves has always been a little lacking on the documentation themselves.

I have learned most from the forums on how to do things and which plugins are the best for my needs. Again I think this goes into the model and platform of what the software is, DIY.

The market is changing though, and I think the days of DIY in automation being a money maker are going to shift to Plug and Play. Look at computers, only us nerdy type used to build computers when you had dip switches to make settings changes, when plug and play type stuff started coming to the market, pretty much everyone now can build a computer with very little knowledge. You will see a shift and hopefully HS can adjust to that coming shift and maintain market share.

Wouldn't it be nice to just add a motion sensor to a room and it knows what other devices are in that room and builds the logic for you automatically based off a couple questions? That is probably coming sooner than we think.
                                I will say, coming from the plug and play side of things, they have a ways to go. I think a lot has to do with the fact that we are all dramatically different and how we use home automation is different. ST kind of did what you are suggesting by making common use suggestions when you would add a new device, for instance, if you add a switch it will suggest common uses like controlling another switch or outlet. It would be really awesome for the system to understand what you are adding and how they can interact with one another.

Comment

Working...
                                X