No announcement yet.

Here Comes Google Home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom, thank you for your feedback, could you please share some of your IFTTT, I could not find anything interesting there other than turning the hue lights that is already part of Google assistant.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Take a look at post 60 in this thread. I'm not sure what you mean by share. If there is a way to share an applet, I don't see it. Never tried to do that.
      - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
      Web Site
      YouTube Channel

Comment

Looks like Google is opening it up in Dec to 3rd parties:
        http://phandroid.com/2016/11/10/goog...rd-party-apps/

Comment

Another way to have Google Home work with Homeseer is via the maker channel to send a JSON web request with your voice command.

IFTTT trigger on Google Assistant for the Phrase "Tell homeseer to $" with an alternate of "Ask homeseer to $"

THEN

using maker channel send a JSON request to the below URL using GET

https://connected2.homeseer.com/JSON?user=YOUREMAIL&pass=YOURPASSWORD&request=voicecommand&p hrase={{TextField}}

Comment

Probably not the worst, but I'd worry a bit about the security of having the password in the URL. There could be all kinds of places within IFTTT where this is displayed or stored in readable text.
            - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
            Web Site
            YouTube Channel

Comment

Google Home - avoid Internet and back?

Well I do have HomeSeerRemote on Google Play.

You can use that but not the VR as I use Google Voice (which is a back and forth) - but after that (or by text) it just talks directly via WiFi to the PlugIn.

HSPI_ActionRequest - this responds to ANY text string sent to it (Connection or UDP) and does word spotting.

The app is very simple - two button, short or long press on either and very simple set up. Doesn't work outside the home but that is because I've never bothered. (I was going to but no one seemed interested and it wasn't important enough to me.)

I use it all the time at home, in fact I can't even turn on my TV without it as the Android TV Remote I use (AnyMote - great aside from this, also drives the HS plugin) can't do it for some reason.

I even use it from MediaPortal (via another of my plugins).

If anyone wants it, search or contact me (it's free) homeseer@athame.net.

PS I've just bought an Echo Dot and I must admit it is not as good on searching as 'Ok Google' on my mobile! Impressive far field and nice design though (don't want Hi-Fi, got a system for that!). Fun though...

Comment

The more I play with Google Home, the more I like it... just need that HS integration

One killer feature that I don't understand why Alexa can't do (yet), is queries about devices. I can ask Google Home what the temperature/humidity/etc are for my individual Nest thermostats and it has no problem. Not sure if that's a limitation of the Skill or their API? As I believe cannot do that with the HS or Nest Skills with Alexa.

Comment

I that with Jon00's Alexa helper. I can ask Alexa, ask James for the outside temoperature and it'll give me the sensor reading. It also does any other sensor (and more). So it is possible with Alexa (Echo)

Comment

Originally posted by mloebl View Post
                    The more I play with Google Home, the more I like it... just need that HS integration

One killer feature that I don't understand why Alexa can't do (yet), is queries about devices. I can ask Google Home what the temperature/humidity/etc are for my individual Nest thermostats and it has no problem. Not sure if that's a limitation of the Skill or their API? As I believe cannot do that with the HS or Nest Skills with Alexa.

I do that with Jon00's Alexa helper. I can ask Alexa, ask James for the outside temperature and it'll give me the sensor reading. It also does any other sensor (and more). So it is possible with Alexa (Echo)

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                      I do that with Jon00's Alexa helper. I can ask Alexa, ask James for the outside temperature and it'll give me the sensor reading. It also does any other sensor (and more). So it is possible with Alexa (Echo)
                      *ooooh* will have to check this out Thanks! Wonder why the existing skills don't...

Comment

Gee...I was watching a youtube video the other night comparing the two units and it was concluded that Alexa integrates better with HA stuff. Now I'm confused.

With Jon's helper, I can get the status of everything as well...

Robert
                        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                          Gee...I was watching a youtube video the other night comparing the two units and it was concluded that Alexa integrates better with HA stuff. Now I'm confused.

With Jon's helper, I can get the status of everything as well...

Robert
                          Alexa works better now. Google is releasing their API this month. No guarantee that it will integrate any better than the Alexa, but I'm hopeful as far as homeseer is concerned, it will be on the same level.

I agree though that Jon's script really is what makes Alexa work better all around.

(on a side note, I want Google Now because it integrates Google Music and can control Chromecasts. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll see a lot of Google services on Alexa and Amazon services on Google Now )

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                            (on a side note, I want Google Now because it integrates Google Music and can control Chromecasts. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll see a lot of Google services on Alexa and Amazon services on Google Now )
                            I'm definitely going to have to try out Jon00's Alexa helper and see how it does. Over all the Alexa -> HS3 control has been good, but missed the reply with device values piece

The chromecast control is pretty slick, but unfortunately for only genuine Google devices. Chromecasting to Roku, or to 3rd party things like my Dish Network receiver (with a native Youtube client), don't work via Google Home right now, but work fine via Chrome. Hoping it's something they improve going forward. I also use Google Music for all my music, so prefer to use that over the Amazon one (why pay for two...)

Comment

I'm definitely going to have to try out Jon00's Alexa helper and see how it does. Over all the Alexa -> HS3 control has been good, but missed the reply with device values piece

The chromecast control is pretty slick, but unfortunately for only genuine Google devices. Chromecasting to Roku, or to 3rd party things like my Dish Network receiver (with a native Youtube client), don't work via Google Home right now, but work fine via Chrome. Hoping it's something they improve going forward. I also use Google Music for all my music, so prefer to use that over the Amazon one (why pay for two...)
                              Yeah, I used chromecasts for the whole house audio system (hooked up to my Russound caa66). They all "default" to that rooms CC counterpart when powered on. I never really liked the CC for TV as I don't like using my phone as a remote.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                                Yeah, I used chromecasts for the whole house audio system (hooked up to my Russound caa66). They all "default" to that rooms CC counterpart when powered on. I never really liked the CC for TV as I don't like using my phone as a remote.
                                If you use Android TV instead of a chromecast, it will work as a chromecast, but many will come with a remote and it actually has apps. I have one built into my Sony TV and I have another that is a separate box, Mi Box, that I got at wallmart for $69. Even does 4k.

The on bad thing about Android TV in general is the Google/Amazon war. There is normally no Amazon prime app. There is on my Sony TV version because they had some kind of contract that forced it. I think I can do some side-load on my Mi Box, but haven't tried yet.

It is nice to have the chromecast support built-in. It comes in handy many times. I'm just still trying to figure out the best way to get live tv on it. Getting close with emby.

The casting of youtube videos (and soon Netflix) to the TV from the Home, via voice, is kind of cool.
                                - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                                Web Site
                                YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X