PCS ILR10K LED Resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCS ILR10K LED Resistor

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm wondering if this would actually allow LED bulbs to be used with 2-wire dimmers. In that case, this would need to be wired at the fixture, since the load and neutral wires would be there.

http://www.amazon.com/PCS-Load-Resis.../dp/B01ES0AYU8
    Learn About HomeSeer

Interesting, I recently tried to switch to some LEDs but found unless I had ~60 watts on the total load, the dimmers flickered. Since most of the LEDs are only ~8-10 watts the circuits with only 1-3 bulbs would flicker.

I solved it by leaving a 60 watt incandescent bulb on the circuit- but less than optimal.

These should be a solution. I would probably install at the dimmer.
    I wonder if there are issues with electrical code?
    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by DSteiNeuro View Post
      ...These should be a solution. I would probably install at the dimmer.
      You can install at the dimmer if you have a neutral at that location. In my case (older house), some switch locations have no neutral and I've had to install 2-wire dimmers controlling incandescent bulbs. If this trick works, I would have to install the resistor at the fixture since that's where the neutral would be.
      Learn About HomeSeer

Comment

As an FYI, I found some LED bulbs that work with the Leviton 2-wire (no neutral) dimmer. Just a single 9W bulb works fine with no flickering and no noise through the entire range. See http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=165177.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          As an FYI, I found some LED bulbs that work with the Leviton 2-wire (no neutral) dimmer. Just a single 9W bulb works fine with no flickering and no noise through the entire range. See http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=165177.

Cheers
          Al
          I have heard that. They must have some nifty kung fu in that switch. Unfortunately, they look and work like no other switch in my house, so that's out.
          Learn About HomeSeer

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
            I have heard that. They must have some nifty kung fu in that switch. Unfortunately, they look and work like no other switch in my house, so that's out.
            This is the first bulb that I found that works by itself with that dimmer, so might be worth trying to see if it works with your switch too. I bought them at Costco but not sure if they are available in the US.

Comment

Couldn't find them @ Costco in Montana.
              Don

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
                Couldn't find them @ Costco in Montana.
                Just drive to Lethbridge

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  Just drive to Lethbridge

My riding mower won't quite go that far.
                  Don

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
                    My riding mower won't quite go that far.
                    Lethbridge is just up the road for you and you can get a pretty good pizza at Boston Pizza while you're there, my wife and I stop every time we pass through

Comment

In my testing; the new HS dimmers are causing 'bulb noise' on every type of LED bulb I have, including the Cree BA19-11050 LED bulb on the compatibility list.

It's not a show stopper for me, but may be for others as it doesn't seem to matter what dimmable LED bulb; it buzzes with these switches. YMMV though.

Over the next week I'll be posting a review on the new switches, where I hope to capture all the "buzz" around these new switches.. :-)

Ok so not my best work, but don't worry I'll be here all week... :-)

By the way, I LOVE the integrated functionality of these switches. There are so many combinations that can be used to trigger events... Beside some small hardware issue's it's been FANTASTIC so far..

RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Concerning: PCS ILR10K LED Resistor

I have an installation that use old Lutron dimmers with 4 60 watt bulbs. If I replace all four with LEDs, they do not go all the way off. If I use just one incandescent with them, they work fine.

Thought I'd try the ILR10K. It did not resolve the problem.

tenholde
                        tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                          Concerning: PCS ILR10K LED Resistor

I have an installation that use old Lutron dimmers with 4 60 watt bulbs. If I replace all four with LEDs, they do not go all the way off. If I use just one incandescent with them, they work fine.

Thought I'd try the ILR10K. It did not resolve the problem.

tenholde
                          I ordered some for testing with the HS dimmers.
                          RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Ok I received my PCSILR10K LED Resistors today. Installed one on my more problematic LED circuit. It appears, to have solve the intermittent flicker. More time is needed to be sure..

I'm a little concerned how warm they get. I recorded 105F after 3 min of running with no dimming. I doesn't appear to have help the Bulb Noise though..

Some pics.
                            Attached Files
                            RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Personally I'd buy this instead: http://www.amazon.com/10pcs-Ceramic-.../dp/B008G4PJAS which includes 10 resistors for less than half the original cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X