Do Virtual Devices exist on HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Virtual Devices exist on HS

I am thinking of jumping ship from Vera Plus, I need to investigate a few things before I can make a decision. I use Virtual Switches (devices) In Vera to display the status of my (Android) phone (at home/not at home) and that of my wife. Then depending on the status of the phones I run logic to turn heating on/off etc. I use a autolocation/tasker combo on the phones which turns on/off the virtual switches on Vera. Is something like that possible in HS, or how would I be able to recreate that ? I am looking at buying a SEL or S6, not sure yet what to go for

Absolutely and very easy to do in terms of having a device to represent something that is not physically related to a piece of hardware, they can ultimately get complex if you need to but for simple on/off they are easy to do. What actually turns this device on/off is another matter and is usually the more complex part (whether it is a plugin or such).

Comment

Ok I want to use tasker to flick that virtual switch, for example as mentioned to determine if a phone is home, so that seems to be possible at least.
      Might not be easy but Vera took a while to master too, and help from the forum. So I am not expecting to just be able to create everything I have on Vera within a few days, but I want to know that I can do what I do with Vera, that's important.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
        Ok I want to use tasker to flick that virtual switch, for example as mentioned to determine if a phone is home, so that seems to be possible at least.
        Might not be easy but Vera took a while to master too, and help from the forum. So I am not expecting to just be able to create everything I have on Vera within a few days, but I want to know that I can do what I do with Vera, that's important.
        I am able to control a virtual switch with Tasker to set occupancy status in HomeSeer.

I have also made buttons using Tasker on my phone home screen to start events or control devices. I found IFTTT to be unreliable for location handling so I use EgiGeoZone with Tasker to notify HomeSeer and it works excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
          I am able to control a virtual switch with Tasker to set occupancy status in HomeSeer.

I have also made buttons using Tasker on my phone home screen to start events or control devices. I found IFTTT to be unreliable for location handling so I use EgiGeoZone with Tasker to notify HomeSeer and it works excellent.
          I use buttons on tasker linked to Authomation to start Vera scenes or control devices. Good to know I can do the same on HS. For location handling I use autolocation with tasker, its ok but not great. I have not heard of EgiGeoZone, whats your experience, have you tried autolocation ? I will defientely look into EgiGeoZone to see if it might be better. Can you set geofences there as well or how do you handle your location changes ?

Comment

Although there is a beta version with some added (location tracking) functionality, EgiGeoZone is primarily a geofencing application for Android devices so would fit the bill for at home / not at home detection. You can have multiple geofences defined and set the radius etc differently for each.

I use it here along with my PHLocation plug-in but you can also use it stand alone with HS3 if you wanted to create a mechanism (like a web page) to receive the status updates from the app.

In my experience it works exceptionally well at detecting geofence entry exits.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
              I have not heard of EgiGeoZone, whats your experience, have you tried autolocation ?
              I have never tried autolocation, just IFTTT and EgiGeoZone which will work with Tasker as a Geo Fence. EgiGeoZone is built on the Google location service so it is very advanced at location detection. I am also a huge fan of Tasker. IFTTT was not meeting my needs, it failed more than 50% of the time so it is nice that HomeSeer has multiple options.

Thanks to Rupp and the other members here who shared EgiGeoZone and helped me get it set up.

Comment

Working...
              X