best practise for including lots of devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best practise for including lots of devices

I m thinking of jumping ship from Vera Plus. I have about 70 zwave devices, and lots of sensors and LightwaveRF light switches all controlled/accessed via RFXcom. As far as I can tell I can still do that with HS. So far so good. With Vera I could (and had to) start fresh a few times, but I left all my zwave device in place and the Vera Plus at a central (final) location in the house, then started including all my devices. They all included without the need of moving my Vera to the device. Does that work with HS too ? I am looking at SEL or S6, not sure yet what I need

I have about 55 physical devices on our SEL and a half dozen devices on the RFXCOM. It all works out good for me. I can put the SEL on a 50 ft ethernet cable or it has a built in WiFi radio to make inclusion easier.
    Integration with Echo works good and best of all it isn't dependant on a Cloud based server like other systems. If the Internet goes down HA keeps going on.
    Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
    | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
    Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
    BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

I guess I can still control LightwaveRF devices via the RFXcom as well as create conditions based on RFXcom temperature sensors for example ? On my Vera I use temperature sensors and some logic to control my AC via a Remotec ZXT120.

Comment

Yes. The RFXCOM devices show up in the SEL just like the Zwave devices. They can be used for logical decisions, control or display in designer.
        Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
        | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
        Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
        BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
          I m thinking of jumping ship from Vera Plus. I have about 70 zwave devices, and lots of sensors and LightwaveRF light switches all controlled/accessed via RFXcom. As far as I can tell I can still do that with HS. So far so good. With Vera I could (and had to) start fresh a few times, but I left all my zwave device in place and the Vera Plus at a central (final) location in the house, then started including all my devices. They all included without the need of moving my Vera to the device. Does that work with HS too ? I am looking at SEL or S6, not sure yet what I need
          A couple of extra thoughts:
          - The SEL is Linux and the S6 is Windows 7 Embedded. There are some differences in availability of plugins between the 2 OS, though availability for Linux has grown substantially.
          - Neither of these come with a Z-Wave interface. Not sure whether your existing solution has a built-in or add-on Z-Wave interface. Homeseer sell 2 excellent models. Z-Stick+ (which is USB) and Z-Net which is an Ethernet-connected interface with greater range. Both are Z-Wave+ which supports NWI (remote inclusion) but some older Z-Wave devices don't support this and certain devices like door locks need to be included directly - although they will operate indirectly after initial inclusion.

I have a Z-Net and love that I can put it anywhere in the house with it remote from the HS3 machine.

My overall guess is that you'll get most of your devices included from a central location, but that you will need a little extra intervention with a few.

Two ways to solve for that are:
          - If you choose a Z-Net, put it on a long ethernet cable and plug it into a local power outlet close to the device that needs additional help with inclusion. You can use a tablet/phone (with the Z-tool+ app) or laptop accessing the HS3 UI to include the device
          - If you choose (or re-use an existing USB) interface, install a trial version of HS3 on a laptop and take the laptop to the device. Include it there, then attach the USB Z-wave interface to the main licenced HS3 machine and import the node(s).
          cheeryfool

Comment

Ok so that's basically what I had to do with my Vera. That's great. So from what I understand, I place the S6 where I wanted it to be (near my PC for example), but I place the Z net module centrally in the house (after having included everything). So the controller can be in a different location. I have WiFi and Powerline Ethernet in the house, so connecting the Z net module to my network anywhere would not be a problem.
            Another question is do I go for the SEL, S6 or the pro versions...

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
              Ok so that's basically what I had to do with my Vera. That's great. So from what I understand, I place the S6 where I wanted it to be (near my PC for example), but I place the Z net module centrally in the house (after having included everything). So the controller can be in a different location. I have WiFi and Powerline Ethernet in the house, so connecting the Z net module to my network anywhere would not be a problem.
              Another question is do I go for the SEL, S6 or the pro versions...
              Correct. I used hard-wired, but there are lots of people using the Z-Net on Wifi. You may have an advantage with the Powerline option of being able to plug it in close to those more problematic devices without a long ethernet cable winding (temporarily) around the house.
              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
              X