That's Support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's Support!

My Schlage Connect lock is physically operating perfectly - it unlocks and locks when commanded, it reports status accurately. But I keep getting HomeSeer log entries about messages with errors in them from the lock.

So I called Schlage Customer Support to ask about firmware and upgrading. He claimed there is no update possible. That's okay. He is sending me a new lock and told me not to bother boxing the old one up to ship back to them. Keep it or toss it.

While the support is indeed awesome, I don't think there's anything wrong with your lock. From experience (8+ Schlage locks over 2 houses), this sounds like 1 of 2 things. First, the lock wasn't properly/completely added. Second, the lock isn't talking directly to your Z-Wave controller -- Schlage locks in particular, in my experience, don't work well if they have to node hop to the controller.

Comment

Maybe. I considered that long before corrupted firmware.

The lock is less than 10 feet from the controller with nothing but air in between. Meanwhile other devices in my detached garage about 100 feet and many walls away work fine. I replaced my Aeon USB stick with a Homeseer USB stick and factory reset/paired the lock, only one of 8-10 times I have done the reset/repair. When I pair it I take the lock off the door and put it a few inches away from the controller. I can disassemble/assemble that lock like Private Pyle with his rifle. Exact same problem with both controllers and no similar problems with any other devices. I get what appears to me to be a complete set of nodes (there are 8). One of the advantages of removing the lock from the door is I can read the output as they pair. An incomplete pairing (in my brief experience) complains during the pairing and doesn't generate all the nodes. If it can't work correctly after all that it isn't ever going to. You can tell the z-wave is an afterthought with those locks. Two 60 page installation/guide manuals and two pages on z-wave with no way to upgrade the firmware - hardened steel designers dabbling in RF. Danger Will Robinson. Can you imagine the push back at those companies from the old timers against controlling the lock with RF?

I look at the connected locks on the shelves at Home Depot and I don't think they are moving. They are dusty and the packaging is getting ratty. I'm guessing Schlage is headed out of that business and they are glad to get rid of the lock. We'll see shortly when the new lock arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by mikaluch View Post
        I look at the connected locks on the shelves at Home Depot and I don't think they are moving. They are dusty and the packaging is getting ratty. I'm guessing Schlage is headed out of that business and they are glad to get rid of the lock.
        That's too bad if true. None of the other Z-wave deadbolts are ANSI grade 1 rated (for whatever that's worth). I bought all three that my local Home Depot had. Looked back at that aisle the other day and they've restocked.

I haven't noticed error messages in the log with any of mine, but I'll have to double check later. Did your replacement lock behave any better for you?

Comment

The second lock has been perfect from day 1. Much easier to pair. 3 months - no error messages. It has on simple reliable event. If the door sensor changes and becomes closed wait ten seconds and check the lock. If it is unlocked lock it. It never misses. Same lock. Newer firmware. A $200 device should be upgradable.

Comment

Working...
          X