No announcement yet.

Need help trying to trigger a virtual switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned how to do this and much more reading Randy's event clinic posts. A must read if you are new to HS3 Event writing. I can't thank him enough for the most detailed explanations out there. Lots of very useful information.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172984

Comment

Originally posted by jhearty View Post
      Correct. I also have two other events to handle the other direction.
      Finally back from vacation and able to finish setting up the triggers and it works great to flip a VS from Windows Open to Closed when any of the doors and windows are opened or closed. Now I just need to add some additional events to check the outside temp and the state of the switches to make suggestions like open the windows, it cool outside...

Thanks all for your help, saved a bunch of time and created a high Wife acceptance factor.

Comment

Originally posted by jhearty View Post
        I learned how to do this and much more reading Randy's event clinic posts. A must read if you are new to HS3 Event writing. I can't thank him enough for the most detailed explanations out there. Lots of very useful information.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172984
        Super helpful as well, even with decoding what you guys were supplying as suggestions for this thread.

Comment

Got everything going and I was wondering if you can use replacement variable in an if statement. I am trying to use the current indoor temperature to test if the outdoor is greater than or less than along with the window status to speak and give a suggestion... I have the speak event saying the correct outside temperature but not sure if I can use the replacement value in the test value.

I was going to give it a shot but didn't want to cause unknown issues if others have tried.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
            I was wondering if you can use replacement variable in an if statement. I am trying to use the current indoor temperature to test if the outdoor is greater than or less than along with the window status to speak and give a suggestion... I have the speak event saying the correct outside temperature but not sure if I can use the replacement value in the test value.
            Perhaps I don't understand your question, but why not use "If a device's value is..." ?

If you are trying to do a comparison between two device values, then the Easy Trigger plug-in is the easiest solution.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              Perhaps I don't understand your question, but why not use "If a device's value is..." ?

If you are trying to do a comparison between two device values, then the Easy Trigger plug-in is the easiest solution.
              I could have stated it better and you caught it, I am comparing two devices. I actually ended up finding that functionality in Easy Trigger last night and got it up and running with an offset to try and stop infinite loops from happening.

Easy Trigger is a very robust plugin even though on the surface it appears very simple. I had only been using the GUI schedule feature until now and I even learned more about thata last night to use offsets to sunrise and sunset... got to love the crazy stuff this software can do.

Here is what I ended up with in case it helps others. I use the status of the windows to control a virtual switch. If a window is open the switch will say open. I didn't want the speak event to trigger if we had already opened the windows, the next step would be to integrate the whole house fan but that is another exercise.

Comment

Working...
              X