Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I create a virtual device (switch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I create a virtual device (switch)

I want to create a virtual switch, basically I want to use it to determine if a scene is going to run, so I'll have the scene check the status of that switch before running the scene.
    In Vera I had a multi switch, which comprised of 8 virtual switches in one device. Is there something like that in HS ? I will need quite a few virtual switches and it just keeps it tydier to have them condensed, makes it easier to control too

Just create a device in device manager.
    If it is basic on / will take you 10 seconds.

If you want to have say a status switch with
    Home
    Away
    Night

That will take around 30 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In the first post of this thread I go through the steps to create a virtual device. The virtual device will be created with only 2 values 0=off and 100=on. You can edit the device to have as many values as you need, creating one device with many different selections. You can't have multiple switches in a single device, but you can have a device with multiple values.
      Last edited by randy; May 30, 2016, 08:57 AM.

Comment

To add to Randy's post you can also have multiple virtual devices and put them all in appropriately named rooms for organizational purposes. With Vera you have to worry about resources. Every device will eat up a certain amount of RAM so it makes sense to have one device that acts as multiple devices. This is not the case with HS since most of the systems we run it on have more than 128 MB of RAM.
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          This is not the case with HS since most of the systems we run it on have more than 128 MB of RAM.

Don't remind me of that horror.

Comment

Working...
          X