How do I delete a phantom device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have this device which must have been created by a failed inclusion. It shows up as floor node 23, room zwave, Sigma (Unknown Dev Type 14)
    In the zwave tab of the device I have

Error: The device Node 23 Z-Wave Sigma (Unknown Dev Type 14) is not a normally listening node, and an attempt to communicate with it has failed. To use the functions on this page, please make sure the device is awake and ready to receive a command prior to selecting the function buttons below.

Node numer: no node id

I have tried remove bad node, but I get a red error
    Node 23 does not exist in interface New Interface

Try this. Do an import on the zwave tab, that will create a device, probably named "Sigma...". Then go into that device and on the Z-Wave tab click Remove". Sometimes it gives that message but has really removed it.
    To check, restart the interface from the function menu, or disable and re-enable the plugin, then go to the node info page and see if its gone. If so, you can then delete the device.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I couldn't find any import anywhere. In the meantime trying to find it I clicked on something else... now I cannot get it back to where it was.
      Attached Files

Comment

I now have another device like this. I excluded a device which was not reporting power any more, and showed a lot of errors in the log. I excluded it, but the device still shows in the interface. When I click on the zwave tab. I have the same error as above

Comment

Does node 23 display on the Z-Wave node info page? If not, then it has been removed from the interface itself. In that case, you simply need to delete it from the device management page.

Comment

I have a few devices like this too that give that error but never get removed. I delete them from the page and the next time I do a zwave add of another device and the stick gets scanned, it's added back in.

I have given up on this bug, it's been there a bit and I have just created a graveyard room to dump then in for now until bug is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
              I have a few devices like this too that give that error but never get removed. I delete them from the page and the next time I do a zwave add of another device and the stick gets scanned, it's added back in.

I have given up on this bug, it's been there a bit and I have just created a graveyard room to dump then in for now until bug is fixed.
              If your interface supports backup/restore (ie Z-NET, SmartStick+) AND you're running the Windows version of HS3 (including HomeTroller S6), then you can remove the node manually. Here's how it would work:
              1. Navigate to the Z-Wave controller mgmt page and backup the Z-Wave network. Name it something you can easily remember.
              2. Find the backup file on your hard drive and open it with NotePad
              3. Each node currently stored in the interface will occupy 1 row of the file. Remove the rows that includes the nodes you wish to remove
              4. close out of NotePad and save the backup file
              5. Open the backup file again to be sure the "bad" nodes are gone and that all the other nodes are still there... just to double-check
              6. In HS3, navigate to controller mgmt again and now RESTORE the Z-Wave ntetwork to your interface. This will erase the interface in the process and will delete the bad nodes.
              7. After the restore is done, you'll need to optimise your network again, since your routing table will need to be rebuilt.

Comment

Thanks Mark. I will give that a try.

Comment

For me it worked getting rid of the devices by deleting them from the interface. Embarrassingly easy, should have found that myself....
                  Good to know how to get rid if they come back, and it sounds they will at some point.

Comment

This is a point of confusion for a lot of folks. The devices on the HS3 device mgmt page ("HomeSeer devices") are "manufactured" through communication with the hardware device ("product"). That communication can occur during the Z-Wave network inclusion process (using Z-Tool+) or after the fact using the "import" function in the HS3 controller mgmt feature.

Generally speaking, you should always try to use Z-Tool+ for inclusion as many products are battery operated and are normally asleep. Inclusion wakes them up and keeps them awake during the interrogation process. The import function does not wake them up!

When removing products from your network, it is necessary to remove them from the interface and from the device management page. If you remove a product from within the corresponding HomeSeer device, both of these steps are normally accomplished in one operation.

If you delete a HomeSeer device but do not delete the corresponding "node" from the interface, you will need to perform an import to recreate the device... so you can delete it properly.

Comment

My issue has been with wired devices that failed and had to be replaced (another function that is hit or miss lately on recent plugin for zwave). I always try to remove by actual exclusion, knowing this removes it completely.

I haven't tried the workaround above yet, but that's what it is, a workaround pending an actual fix.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                        My issue has been with wired devices that failed and had to be replaced (another function that is hit or miss lately on recent plugin for zwave). I always try to remove by actual exclusion, knowing this removes it completely.

I haven't tried the workaround above yet, but that's what it is, a workaround pending an actual fix.
                        The plug-in is issuing the proper protocol command for exclusion. However, the rest of the process is performed by the chip and is hidden from our view. Often, the response we get back indicates a failure, when in fact, the process succeeded. In those cases, you can check by deleting the HomeSeer device and running an import. If the import recreates a HomeSeer device, then the node didn't actually get removed from the interface. However, if the import does not recreate the device, then it was properly removed.

This has been an ongoing problem with the protocol since day 1.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                          The plug-in is issuing the proper protocol command for exclusion. However, the rest of the process is performed by the chip and is hidden from our view. Often, the response we get back indicates a failure, when in fact, the process succeeded. In those cases, you can check by deleting the HomeSeer device and running an import. If the import recreates a HomeSeer device, then the node didn't actually get removed from the interface. However, if the import does not recreate the device, then it was properly removed.

This has been an ongoing problem with the protocol since day 1.
                          Makes sense, and thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Click on the 'Home' menu, you should see the 'Device List'.
                            Click on the name of the node you're trying to remove. You should see 4 tabs: Configuration, Advanced, Status Graphics, and Z-wave.
                            Click on the 'Z-wave' tab.
                            Click on the 'Test Connectivity' button, wait for it to report that it can't find the node.
                            Click on the 'Remove Node'
                            Voila!

Comment

This worked for me on more than one occasion.

Remove Bad Node, fail
                              Test Connectivity, fail
                              Remove Bad Node, SUCCESS
                              Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
                              | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
                              Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
                              BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Working...
                              X