Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer on Linux (SEL) cant delete files

Hi All,

I am trying to delete some unwanted data files on my Linux SEl troller (Jowhowie) I have changed Homeseer admin rights to admin but it still says "access denied"

What am I doing wrong ?

Tried everything!!
    Steve

Use sudo in front of the command.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Hi,

Thank for reply. Excuse my ignorance but no nothing about Linux. What exactly do u mean when you say sudo in front of command?

Sorry
      Steve

Comment

sudo in front of a command provides you with sudoer access which is root acesss.

You can also type sudo su, password then remain in root access.

IE:

sudo rm *.sh

sudo su
        rm *.sh

Have a read here ==> sudo

Using WinSCP provides you with an explorer like GUI to edit / delete files on your Linux box from your Windows box.

Using WinSCP you can backup your /user/local/HomeSeer files to your Windows PC and then delete the files via WinSCP.

Webmin installed on your SEL (Linux) box provides you with a web based gui management of the hardware / software on your SEL device.

1 - ssh to your SEL
        2 - sudo su
        3 - wget hxxp://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.801_all.deb * change the xx to tt.
        4 - apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python
        5 - dpkg --install webmin_1.801_all.deb

If on the Linux GUI you can also utilize sudo in front of the desktop utils via a terminal window.
        Last edited by Pete; June 6, 2016, 07:04 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

All,

Thank you for your response. I have installed Winscp which looks exactly what I am looking for. The only thing is when I want to delete any folders using this GUI from my Windows machine, I still get the access denied prompt. I have logged into the host using my normal login details. Do I have to add sudo to this or something. Sorry for my ignorance but I have never dabbled with Linux before.

Im guessing I can also install 3rd party PI with this (drag and drop), I want to install Jon,s weather display script?
          Attached Files
          Steve

Comment

Yes; WinSCP needs root access. (not sudo). I have never used WinSCP in sudo mode and always just use root.

Do this:

1 - ssh to your pi
            2 - passwd root
            3 - type in a password

4 - Now you need to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config

5 - type nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

6 - change the line PermitRootLogin without-password

7 - to

8 - PermitRootLogin yes

9 - comment out line as shown: #StrictModes yes

10 - save and exit nano

11 - type service ssh restart

12 - exit

13 - ssh again this time with root

14 - test your password

15 - should work fine

16 - load up WinSCP and type root and your new root password. All should be fine.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

Thanks. I cant seem to go any further as I cannot get the # key to work on the keyboard plugged into the SEL and dont know any other way to connect to it!

I need this to put in front of the Strictmode line.

I am at a loss

Is this something I could get support to login and do. Happy to pay to get this resolved.

Suggestions please
              Steve

Comment

as I cannot get the # key to work on the keyboard plugged

ahhh....monitor, keyboard and mouse should work fine....wondering if it is related to a regional set up of the keyboard. Easiest to use a monitor and keyboard to fix this via terminal / GUI mode.

If you can find out the IP address then SSH would work too.

Is this something I could get support to login and do. Happy to pay to get this resolved.

Suggestions please

Maybe if you open up your firewall to SSH which is port 22 and you know your internet IP address. It would only take a few minutes.

PM me if you want today and I can have a look from across the pond here near Chicago.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

That would be great, thank you. Not sure what the time difference is here in UK from you. I have just got home from work and then straight out the door tonight.
                  I am at home tomorrow evening so will log into router(I think thats what you mean in regard to firewall) and make necessary adjustments. Will PM you with details.

Thank you once again.
                  Steve

Comment

Nice assist there Pete. I would make one small adjustment to Pete's instructions. For a beginner, I would recommend learning apt-get install rather than dpkg -install.

Aptitude (apt-get and others) will handle all the dependencies for you. Dpkg will not. In this case Pete handled the dependencies for you in the step before but Pete won't always be there.

Comment

Mikaluch, the source repository may not always have the most updated version of the package available. In this case Pete requested that the OP download the most recent version from the distribution website.
                      These .deb files have to be installed with dpkg -i and cannot (AFAIK) be installed with apt-get.

In addendum to Pete's post above, one can download and install the .deb file without pre installing the dependencies:
                      dpkg -i your_deb_file.deb
                      apt-get install -f
                      The install -f automatically installs all missing dependencies for previously installed packages. This is often easier than finding and installing them manually before-hand with apt-get install pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 pk4 etc

Hopefully Pete managed to get the OP up and running.
                      And finally, because Pete so loves to tangentially rant about things, I'll take a page from his book:
                      I really hate Windows handling of multiple languages. Nothing is worse than not being able to figure out why you can't authenticate with a machine via remote desktop only to realize that the local machine is configured to ENG CANADA instead of ENG US and all of the symbol characters (#@!_[] etc) are typed incorrectly. Of course, the password is obfuscated so you can't SEE that it's doing this.. Unless you're using a french keyboard, a Canadian keyboard is the same as an American keyboard! ENG CANADA != FRENCH!

And one more.. Why doesn't wget allow passing a file to stdout? You can with curl but it's not installed by default in many distributions. Something like this should just WORK!:
                      wget -q -o- http://mypackage.com/package.deb | dpkg --install -

I love sh/bash but Powershell's "everything is an object" is kind of growing on me. Take anything, pipe anywhere...
                      Last edited by manxam; June 8, 2016, 01:46 PM. Reason: another rant added!

Comment

Thanks. That is an issue with HomeSeer though since we are tangentially ranting. Generally, a beginner shouldn't have to download and install the latest beta to get up and running, especially on a preconfigured box. It seems to be pretty much mandatory around here.

Installing a beta has a 2x2 matrix describing the outcome. It can solve your problem or not. It can make your system less stable or not. A beginner is not likely to be prepared to deal with an unstable system.

Comment

Which, tangentially brings us to why the official release version (.280) which was identified as having problems soon after the release (especially with the Echo) is still the current release version weeks later.
                          cheeryfool

Comment

Yup; had no issues accessing Steve's machine. For the webmin stuff above it is just a copy and paste directly from the webmin install page for debian and ubuntu.

Do I really tangentially rant. I have been told that before. The older I get the more I tangentially rant. My wife just nods here head these days.

I am running Homeseer release V .981 which has build in AI. (nah just kidding).

Yeah my windows touch screens speak in a variety of languages just to bug my wife:

English, portuguese, italian, canadian french, french, german, et al....the 40 year old parrot (her) only speaks english.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, I hope I didn't cause offense. It's really funny to see one of your posts where you address the question at hand and then end up relating a story about something that happened 15 years ago or about some old piece of kit that you owned

Comment

Working...
                              X