Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool monitoring for salt and temp

Hello,

I am fairly new to HS and am working on getting a HS3 system built around my home to monitor and hopefully control as much as I can.

Does anyone know of a salt sensor I can use to read the salinity levels in my pool? I would prefer (if possible) something that can be installed in the plumbing as opposed to floating in the pool, as those "floaters" tend to leak after a while from what I've read in this forums. A temp sensor would also be nice, but again not the floater kind.

Ideally I would like to monitor salt levels, temperature, and pH levels, but salt it the most important to me as the moment.

I have seen the units from Hayward that allow you to monitor all kinds of things but they generally cost in the thousands. Some other models come already prepackaged with chlorine generators, but I've already got one of those.

Can anyone suggest anything to get me started?

Thank you in advance!

Thats pretty automated, and I bet it'll cost a fortune. Here, zwave senses my water level and fills it on demand. Zwave senses the temperature and includes it in my weather report page. Of course zwave controls the two stage lighting schedule, and filter/chloronator schedule. Homeseer sends me a text when it's time to service the filter. Poolside a MiniMote allows me to have manual control of it all.
    As far as pH, 5 drops of DPD solution keeps me informed the old fashioned way. Same with chlorine. The chloronator tells me the salt level, and once set, really won't change much through swim season.
    I could imagine sensors built into the plumbing... temp, pH, chlorine, salinity. In of themselves isn't a big deal , but to have homeseer monitor and interact with your Chlorinator, adding acid or alkaline, controlling heater or cooling, backwashing filters, and topping off the water lever. That's going to be quit a system $$$
    Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
    | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
    Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
    BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Hi Blair,

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I just want to get the readings into HS.

Are there sensors like that?

What sensors are you using for water level, temperature etc.? My chlorinator unfortunately does not have a salinity reader onboard. I didnt have the foresight about my home automation ambitions when I purchased it, hence the need for the salinity sensor.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by BlairG View Post
        Thats pretty automated, and I bet it'll cost a fortune. Here, zwave senses my water level and fills it on demand. Zwave senses the temperature and includes it in my weather report page. Of course zwave controls the two stage lighting schedule, and filter/chloronator schedule. Homeseer sends me a text when it's time to service the filter. Poolside a MiniMote allows me to have manual control of it all.
        As far as pH, 5 drops of DPD solution keeps me informed the old fashioned way. Same with chlorine. The chloronator tells me the salt level, and once set, really won't change much through swim season.
        I could imagine sensors built into the plumbing... temp, pH, chlorine, salinity. In of themselves isn't a big deal , but to have homeseer monitor and interact with your Chlorinator, adding acid or alkaline, controlling heater or cooling, backwashing filters, and topping off the water lever. That's going to be quit a system $$$
        How do you monitor the water level and fill on demand? I've been thinking about doing this as well, my plps4 and aqualogic plugin handle everything else.
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

I've been thinking about this myself, albeit from a different approach.

In my mind, I visualize either an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi that lives out at the pool. All of the monitoring sensors, temperature, etc would go to that device. From there, use the JSON interface to push that data back to HS at different intervals. Updating HS is the easy part. Building the sensors would be the most time-consuming and fairly difficult task. Would be fun though!
          HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
          68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
          UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
          Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

@rmasonjr

Have a look at this site. I saw someone post it elsewhere in the forums and thought it may be interesting for you approach.

https://www.mysensors.org/

Let me know if you find a way to make a Salinity sensor.

Comment

There is a picture in this thread of the setup on my pool. HS checks the water sensor once a day and if needed a valve on my UltraRachio is activate to send water to the pool.
              Blair

Comment

Speaking of pools eh all... Are there any HS3 plugins for pool pump control?
                HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

+1

I wish. I'm running a Hayward Aqua-Trol, it runs the pump and controls the chloronator. Would be cool if it had a zwave module in it to report back temperature, salt level, and allow control of the pump and chloronation level.
                  Blair

Comment

Working...
                  X