Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your coolest, favorite, or most approved Home Automation event/rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recent favorite thing

One of my favorite things I have done is use zwave lock to arm my alarm system....I can't tell you how many times when I have things in my hands and close my door that it would close to hard and make the sound detector trigger alarm siren to go on....now that I can just program lock so if a code is put in when door is unlocked than alarm system is turned on and lights all go off and HVAC adjusts....and when I just want to leave house and not have alarm go on and not have other lights in house go off since someone else is home then when I press the Schlage button it just locks door and turns basement lights off ( which is room where my door to garage is)

Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by csullivan2005 View Post
      jmaddox. how did you achieve this.....I have issues when trying this with my 3 way and 4 way setups using cooper RF aspire zwave capable lights.. When I have tried creating an event where I state between 9pm and 6am if light switch had device change and greater than dim 1 percent then turn on to 30 percent brightness....but then the lights go into a seizure mode where they turn on and off till I restart homeseer

I have noticed that my house sleep mode event which is set to change my house mode virtual device when my sleep mode timer gets to 30 minutes to between 11 pm and 4 am. I then grouped my motion sensors in my house to show activity by floor (1st floor, and basement). When either floor's virtual motion device changes from no motion to motion the sleep mode timer is reset. When I first implemented I noticed the same problem you have with times that fall on both sides of midnight.

I ended up having to create 2 separate trigger statements, and then split the sub-conditions into them (see below)

I hypothesize that something is happening when the date changes at midnight to the event.

In your case, you could setup a virtual device for house modes or light modes. And then create events with triggers based on time of day, dawn, dusk. Waynehead99 showed me how to do this and it has been very helpful.

Then you would use the state of this virtual device as your condition instead of the time of day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Kerat; February 25, 2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

We used to set the alarm off in the morning because we'd forget to turn it off when opening a door. So I setup when there is motion in the master bedroom after a certain time in the morning (and vacation mode is off), HS3 will turn the alarm off and also turn the heater back up.

If we leave and forget to set the alarm, HS3 will text me a reminder. Then I can set it remotely. I don't set it automatically in case someone is home sick or its a holiday.

I put RGBW lights for under counter lighting in the kitchen. I had extra so I put some on the cabinet kick plates and behind the TV's. So now the kids can say, Alexa turn on movie time. The lights dim, the LED's change to a blue color, and the TV turns on. They can also say, Alexa turn on red or orange or whatever color they want.

I have the under cabinet LED strips come on full white when HS3 sees the regular kitchen lights turn on. So I didn't have to add an additional switch for the LED's. They just follow what the overhead light is doing via HS3.

I use pushover and get notifications on my watch for the washer and dryer, kids coming home, mail delivered, etc.

The house announces when the washer and dryer are done. Since the washer finishes before the dryer, when the washer is done, I have it announce if the dryer is available.
        -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
        Way2 Call
        Elk M1 Gold
        UPB HAI switches
        HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          Yeah... now with Alexa, I tell her to turn on the heating blanket about 30 minutes before we go to bed. My cutie likes a nice warm bed to get into since she also likes the bedroom windows open - very high WAF on this one.
          Then when we are ready to go to bed, I just tell Alexa "good night" and with the help of Jon's script running an event, she then turns on the master bedroom light and after 5 minutes, turns off the inside lights. The heating blanket turns off after being on an hour as well...

Robert
          I've wanted to do the heating blanket thing but my blanket stays in the OFF position after a power fail. Did you have to do anything to make yours work like you wanted it?

Comment

I guess mine isn't that suffocated. Just slid the mechanical switch to on, set the temp level and that was it.

My latest cool event is to use Alexa to set the alarm on and turn out some lights when we go out. I just tell her "We're going out" and she responds by telling me - "Ok, I'll turn off the lights and arm the alarm in 3 minutes".

Robert
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I guess my blanket is too smart. It has a timer that turns it off after 10 hours. I suspect that is why it comes up OFF after power is restored. Oh well, when it gives out I'll replace it with a mechanical one.

As far as voice activation, I have avoided this even though it would be fun to play with. My internet is satellite based with 10GB per month data cap. I'm real careful with devices that need internet access.

Comment

I was pretty excited when I automated our Christmas lights and tree in our living room on the first floor. In total we have some 450 total watts of power used when the lights were on. This hurt my mind every time I can home and the lights were on but no one was home.
                The year before I started with HA I bought a simple lighting timer and set the light to turn on from dusk to 11pm. My wife had complained that she wanted the lights on when she was at home. I showed her how to set the lights to on without the timer and that is how that project died.
                We have kids and a dog so we have a good deal of motion throughout the house when we are home. I determined that motion was a good measure of occupancy.
                This time, I grouped my upstairs motion sensors by creating a two position virtual device and would have it change to motion when any motion sensor changed their state to motion.
                I set the Christmas tree to turn on when there is motion anywhere on the first floor indicating occupancy. I also have that event start a timer. Every time the my virtual device is turned to the motion position. When the timer gets to 30 minutes it turns the indoor Christmas lights and tree off.
                My wife is not aware that the lights turn off unless she has been gone for more than 30 minutes and can see that there is no light through the front door glass. As soon as the door opens the Christmas lights turn back on. She says that this simple detection makes her feel welcomed to the home.

Comment

All these folks using heating blankets... makes me feel like a high geriatric user demographic using HS.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpuppy View Post
                    All these folks using heating blankets... makes me feel like a high geriatric user demographic using HS.
                    Wife likes it colder at night than I do. The blanket is on my side of the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by csullivan2005 View Post
                      jmaddox. how did you achieve this.....I have issues when trying this with my 3 way and 4 way setups using cooper RF aspire zwave capable lights.. When I have tried creating an event where I state between 9pm and 6am if light switch had device change and greater than dim 1 percent then turn on to 30 percent brightness....but then the lights go into a seizure mode where they turn on and off till I restart homeseer
                      My setup includes 3 virtual devices, the start of day mode, night mode, and the dim level I wish to use for night mode.

I then set an event for each switch that supports instant status, I use the HS-WD100+ dimmers. value set to Scene 001 Key Pressed; calls a script and passes the device ref that called it. The script then determines what to set the light to. The whole process is fast enough that there is no discernible delay when I manually control a light.

I find that the central scene is faster than using something like 'value set to on' since that appears to wait till the light actually ramps up to 100% before triggering the event. I don't have any cooper RF switches but I'd try to set an event using the keypress on the top paddle or something similar

I'm a tinkerer not a programmer so if I've committed any sins in my cut and paste coding please feel free to make suggestions.

Code:
                      Public Sub Main(ByVal Parms As Object)
                              '' This script intended for dimmer switches that support instant status, it should be called by an event which passes the device ref as it's parameter
                              '' If the device is dimmed set to 'on' (override), If 'off' we want to set to either 'on' or dimmed depending on the time.
                              '' nightmode = when lights should be dimmed when turned on
                              '' daymode = when lights should be set to 'on' when turned on

Dim deviceRef As Integer = Integer.Parse(CType(Parms, String))
                              Dim startingDeviceValue As Integer = hs.DeviceValue(deviceRef)
                              Dim endingDeviceValue As Integer = 0

'' the start and end of the day need to be in 24 hour time format; ie 10pm would be 2200.  The variable can be hard coded if you prefer
                              ''Dim nightmode = New DateTime(Now.Year, Now.Month, Now.Day, 22, 00, 0)
                              ''Dim daymode = New DateTime(Now.Year, Now.Month, Now.Day, 07, 00, 0)

'' I prefer to store the variable in a virtual device; so lets get the value and make sure the it has 4 places, if not prefix with 0's
                              Dim virtualdevicevalue As String = hs.DeviceValue(93).ToString.PadLeft(4, "0")

'' we can now split the string into hours and minutes and insert into our time variable
                              Dim nightmode = New DateTime(Now.Year, Now.Month, Now.Day, Left(virtualdevicevalue, 2), Right(virtualdevicevalue, 2), 0)

''repeat for the next value
                              virtualdevicevalue = hs.DeviceValue(94).ToString.PadLeft(4, "0")
                              Dim daymode = New DateTime(Now.Year, Now.Month, Now.Day, Left(virtualdevicevalue, 2), Right(virtualdevicevalue, 2), 0)

'' set the dimmed level we wish to use for nightmode
                              Dim dimmed As Integer = hs.DeviceValue(95)

'' check to see if the device is currently dimmed; if dimmed override and set to 'on'
                              If startingDeviceValue <> 0 AndAlso startingDeviceValue < 99 Then
                                  endingDeviceValue = 99
                              End If

'' check to see if we're in night mode, if so and the device is off set to dimmed
                              If (DateTime.Now >= nightmode Or DateTime.Now <= daymode) AndAlso startingDeviceValue = 0 Then
                                  endingDeviceValue = dimmed
                              Else endingDeviceValue = 99
                              End If

'' if we've changed something lets set the new value, otherwise exit
                              If startingDeviceValue <> endingDeviceValue Then

'' Find the correct CAPI control to execute.
                                  For Each cc As HomeSeerAPI.CAPIControl In hs.CAPIGetControl(deviceRef)
                                      If cc.ControlValue = endingDeviceValue Then

'' Set the correct lighting level
                                          hs.CAPIControlHandler(cc)
                                          Exit Sub
                                      End If
                                  Next
                              End If
                          End Sub
                      HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                      Number of Devices: 1005
                      Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                        That would work too. But a gen 1 energy monitor can be found on eBay for 10 to 20 bucks nowadays and I had one laying around and was bored one day.

I also have an issue with the dogs and the doorbell. I use an ardiuno tied to the door bell that controls a relay. We can control if the doorbell rings or not. Either way I also I have it set to send a text to the wife and I if someone presses the button. Really nice if we are in the back yard and expecting guest.

I have some of the lights around the house tied to the weather to turn on if the clouds start rolling in. I have found this to work better than trying to use a light sensor for my needs. I also have house modes for schedules, but this allows the lights to come on earlier on days it's raining.

Probably the most used by the wife, yet mostly unaware of it (best kinda automation imo) is the Windows and doors tied to the heater and whole house fan. If they are left open for longer than 2 minutes, the AC shuts off and stays off until the house is sealed up again. Also depending on the temp outside in relation to the inside, if the windows are opened, the whole house fan turns on. It also counts the number of windows opened and adjust speed accordingly.

Just some more ideas.

How is the fan speed controlled ?

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                          I've wanted to do the heating blanket thing but my blanket stays in the OFF position after a power fail. Did you have to do anything to make yours work like you wanted it?

My old electric blanket was easy to control with an appliance module. We used it for many years with HS2 until the blanket failed. The new one (and I think all newer blankets) has a push button start switch. This is a safety switch to prevent the blanket from restarting when power is applied. So I hacked the control and added a wire pair in parallel to the push button switch. This wire is connected to an x10 universal module "momentary" terminals. I use a second module (x10 appliance module) for the blanket power cord. This is used to shut off the blanket.

I have an HS3 event:
                          If the outside temperature is less than 40 and the time is 10:30PM and someone is home, turn on C16 (appliance module). Wait 15 seconds then C15 ON (universal module - simulates push button). Wait 2 hours. Then C16, C15 OFF.

This works very well. I have never had a false trigger using HS3.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

The 'cat chaser'

So, whoever built this house had a strange idea of master bedroom / bathroom layout -- there's no door to the master bathroom (and no possibility to install one).
                            I have a cat, and cats like choices of locations to urinate. I have 2 litter pans, but she loves to mark small rugs (like you'd have in a bathroom).
                            Well, I figured that my HA system could help here. I figured that the best way to chase her out would be to play an audio file of an angry barking dog. Now, to find a z-wave device that could do that. Coincidentally, I already had one -- the Aeotec doorbell. I bought another for this project (I don't use the remote button, of course).
                            I knew that I'd use a motion sensor. This meant that I also needed a way to tell my HA system that there's a human in the bathroom. The list of devices: Aeotec doorbell (ZW056-A), a motion sensor, a dry contact sensor, and a 'floor switch' (I use 3 of these wired in parallel: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...gle-Strip.aspx Note that they have a 5-strip version. ) I put them under the carpet at the bathroom entrance.

The dry contact sensor is connected to the floor switch. The motion sensor is placed to detect the 4-legged creature where it pees, but not the 2-legged creature walking into the bathroom. The idea is that I step on the floor switch, and have a couple seconds for the event to run.

The 'cat chaser' device is the doorbell. I configured it such that setting it 'on' (which is equivalent to pressing the remote button) plays the desired file at full volume. Note that I set it to be a priority event (I want it to happen as soon as motion is detected).

The 'entered' and 'exited' events are the key to this project. (Both also priority.) They're triggered by the floor switch; 1 will run, depending on the status of virtual device 'human in m_bath'. The 8 second delay is to keep them from running simultaneously (I would see 'human in m_bath' go 'yes', then 'no' 2 seconds later). Note that I use EasyTrigger here (to disable/enable the motion event). If you don't have that plugin, you could set the motion detector sensitivity to 0 (off), then back to full. Parameter 8 sets the volume (1=lowest), and parameter 6 plays the given file (a short bird chirp to tell me that the system is disabled, and then a longer bird chirp to tell me that it's enabled). The 1 second pause keeps the doorbell happy (after several runs, it would go mute -- had to unplug it to reset it). I think that being sent 2 commands so quickly confuses it. In the exit event, I give 15 seconds for the file to play, then set the volume to max.

Another key to this project is to use the doorbell's allowance for a truck-load of ringtones (800!). I found several files of angry barking dogs (search for websites of sound effects). I have another event (manually triggered) to change the default ringtone (parameter 5). This keeps the feline from getting used to a particular dog (and ignoring it).

And, yes, I know that it works (I set up a camera on my surveillance system to determine the efficacy of the system).
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MichaelK; March 14, 2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X