Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature logging

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by freeon View Post
    Ok that makes sense. So if you connect 8 sensors on the same connector do you have the 8 wires going directly in the connector or do you have some kind of connector that goes 8 to 1 then in the connector.
    I used CAT6 (2-pair) for each loop. The DS18B20 devices I used were in a stainless steel housing with a 1 meter pigtail. Each pigtail is a three conductor cable. I picked wire colors in the CAT6 to correspond to the three inputs - 5V, Gnd & Data. Each of the 3 sensor wires was spliced to the corresponding colors in the CAT6 at that point in the loop. The CAT6 cable was connected to one of the 3 inputs on the OWServer using an RJ12 modular end. All sensors on each channel on each server are wired in parallel.

    Since each device has a unique number used for address, they can be in parallel, yet addressed and read individually.

    For splicing, I used a combination of multi terminal barrier strips and waterproof crimp connectors.

    That is the unit, I used Ethernet hardware rather than WiFi for reliability. All of my OWServers are in the same closet as my server and primary switch.
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

    PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

    Comment


    • #17
      Ok thanks. I just updated my post with 1 final question. You must had been responding already when I did.

      Is this the unit you use? http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/O...n-2_p_152.html. Are you using WIFI or hard wired?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by freeon View Post
        Ok thanks. I just updated my post with 1 final question. You must had been responding already when I did.

        Is this the unit you use? http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/O...n-2_p_152.html. Are you using WIFI or hard wired?
        I caught that and revised my reply.
        Randy Prade
        Aurora, CO
        Prades.net

        PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

        Comment


        • #19
          Ok thanks again. You have been helpful. I will order one and get working on it when I receive it. I think your right on the WIFI part. I like WIFI for the ease of install but indefinably not as reliable.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by freeon View Post
            Ok thanks again. You have been helpful. I will order one and get working on it when I receive it. I think your right on the WIFI part. I like WIFI for the ease of install but indefinably not as reliable.
            It depends on how much you rely on the temperature readings. In our climate (like yours), I want to be sure that certain readings are reliable for the sake of my heating systems copper pipes. I also rely on the readings from my refrigerator/freezer and chest freezer to protect my food.

            To that end I chose Ethernet and also run a couple of scripts that warn me if certain temperatures have not changed within a predetermined time period.
            Randy Prade
            Aurora, CO
            Prades.net

            PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

            Comment


            • #21
              Did you buy them directly from the manufacture? I have been unable to find anywhere else that sells them and they want $50 just for shipping. For the unit+shipping and exchange comes to $200. Amazon.com has them but won't ship to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't sell them .

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by freeon View Post
                Did you buy them directly from the manufacture? I have been unable to find anywhere else that sells them and they want $50 just for shipping. For the unit+shipping and exchange comes to $200. Amazon.com has them but won't ship to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't sell them .
                I purchased them from EDS. It seems like the shipping was around $14 to Colorado.
                Randy Prade
                Aurora, CO
                Prades.net

                PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                Comment

                Working...
                X