Insteon Hidden Door Sensor - DIY Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hidden Door Sensor - DIY Adjustment

So, I will preface this by saying I could find an "Insteon" sub-forum, so if I missed it, feel free to move this. This also isn't specific to any of the 3 insteon/ISY plugins so I put it in the General Lighting and primary tech forum.

So, I love the insteon hidden door sensors, except for 1 issue. They registered as closed with the door easily 1 inch away from even starting to cross the jam. My z-wave door sensor that go on the frame are pretty darn accurate, but I hate that they are so "visible". I've heard some people say to put the the sensor on the handle side of the door (as opposed to the hinge side), but the instructions say specifically not to do that and I can understand why. It's meant to be pushed in directly, not grazed against until it pushes in . So I thought to myself, "Self! Why don't you just put a divit where the plunger goes?" I'm not sure if I'm the first to think of this, but I thought I would share it anyways in case it helps someone out

So, I just finished remodelling our guest bath and I was installing the door sensor in the jam and i thought I would use it a a guinea pig. I Took a smaller forstner bit and drill down then took a larger one and drilled down not quite as far. I soon realized this was the wrong order to do that in...LOL Either way, I got it to work and I used some sandpaper to "round" it out. I was trying to dial it in and well, I went to deep! Now the sensor won't register it as closed as the plunger doesn't push down far enough.

So then I had an idea? Why not put a screw in the center then I could easily adjust it? So I grabbed a drywall screw and a bit to pre-drill and put it in the center. Of course now the head took up so much room that it registered as closed too early agian. I actually had to take the smaller forstner bit and go a bit deeper, but I wasn't concerned because I knew I could back out the bit until it was perfect.

Of course, I will say that though I used a really fine thread drywall screw, the slightest of turns takes it from not registering to registering as closed when the door is only half way down the jam. It's not perfect, but it is a lot more "precise now" and I can always adjust the screw out or in later if the door swells.

I've attached some images in case anyone wants to see what it looks like. I plan on painting the "divit" with white paint so that it blends in better.

P.S. I found out where to put the divit but putting a little dab of paint on the center of the plunger and slowly closed the door until I saw it touch. Then I opened the door and wiped the plunger off and used the paint on the door as my mark for the drill bit.
    Attached Files
Working...
X