I'm sure this has been asked/answered... USB on virtual machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure this has been asked/answered... USB on virtual machine

I couldn't find the answer, though I'm sure it's here somewhere so I'm afraid I'll have to start a new thread.

I have a Windows Server 2012R2 with several Hyper-V machines. It appears that the virtual machines cannot be linked to the USB ports on the server. I want to run HSPRO on a virtual machine, so what is the best options to connect a USB Z-Wave controller to the virtual machine.

Appreciate any input on this; especially if you have configured such a system successfully.

Thanks!

If you're using Hyper-V 2012 and USB Z-Wave interface, I think you're out of luck, at least if you want the stick directly attached to your host. You *might* be able to use an ethernet USB hub like the discontinued Belkin F5L009 but there's no guarantee it will work. I have one of these hubs and don't use it because 1) it's really old and 2) I haven't had much luck with it.

I think that leaves you with really two options. Either switch to a hypervisor that supports USB passthrough like VMWare ESXi, or buy another Z-Wave adapter like the Z-NET. The latter is what I use and I'm happy with it. I try to go for ethernet connected devices where possible, and second go for serial since serial to ethernet converters are very common and reliable. I never purchase devices that are USB-only, which arguable limits my choices, but I don't have to worry about VM compatibility. The only USB-only device I have is my RFXCOM transceiver, which another helpful HomeSeer user converted to serial for me.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I agree with what reidfo stated. Every controller or device I have that reports to or connects with HomeSeer is an IP device. Beside the fact that it is the only way you can reliably use a Hyper-v VM, it also has the advantage of allowing you to press a backup HomeSeer server into service without moving a wire - absolutely priceless when you are in a different state or country and your wife lets you know the system is down.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

USB passthrough was a new feature in 2012 R2, but it depends a little bit on the driver for the stick if it will work.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...with-vmconnect

Comment

Originally posted by HaPe View Post
          USB passthrough was a new feature in 2012 R2, but it depends a little bit on the driver for the stick if it will work.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...with-vmconnect
          I have tried a number of times, but can only get this to work on USB hard drives and flash drives. I've never been able to get it to recognize USB to serial adaptors, WiFi adaptors or any USB Z-Wave device. I haven't tried a printer, but I understand that some will work.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

So much for my economical move to hyper-V. I was trying to decide whether to use an old 'beater' laptop with the USB Z-wave or go with a 'new' hyper-V machine. The addition of a Z-Net interface will add $150 to the upgrade.

I've owned HSPro for years, but I've been primarily using the Vera products (most recently the Edge) because they are so easy to use. The reliability and speed is so crappy that I thought I'd better look at a migration to the HSPro. It sort of feels like the move from X-10 to z-wave that I did 6 or 7 years ago.

If I do decide to make the switch to HSPro with a Z-Net interface, does anyone know if there is any way to migrate the network from the Vera Edge to the Z-Net? I have several z-wave modules in very hard to get at locations so I'd like to avoid including them all again.

Comment

In case my question was lost in my diatribe above, I'd like to restate it here:

Is there any method to transfer the z-wave network from a Vera Edge device to a Homeseer Z-wave USB or a Z-Net controller?

Comment

You can add the new controller as secondary and transfer primary to it.

It will make your primary another ID than 1 so a backup/restore is better if it's possible.

Regards
                Morten

Comment

Working...
                X