Replace security panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace security panel

We have a DSC home security system which is currently being installed. The installer wants to mount two security panels in two different locations. I was hoping to avoid this and control the system through homeseer. However, if I think about it now, how am I going to disarm the system, I.e. Where am I entering the passcode? Having to pull out your phone, going to the app and entering it there is not practical. I couLd automate it by using geofencing but then what if the battery of the phone is dead so it won't disalarm or I forget the phone at home and it will disalarm although I am not home?

I just installed a DSC system myself. One panel at the garage door and one in the master bedroom. I am just now starting to toy with the geofencing and controlling it.

Honestly I don't trust geofencing enough to completely control the system. I have it set to arm when no one is home, but I still have it set to disarm by keypad entry. I also have notifications sent to my phone to let me know the house locked up and armed.

Comment

waynehead99, thanks for the response. You said that you are arming the system when nobody is home. How are you determining that nobody is home?

You also mentioned that you have a panel at the garage door and one in the MB. Why did you not put a panel at the main entrance instead of the MB? Is the garage door panel close enough that you can walk over to the garage door and disable it there?

Comment

The way my house is setup, the garage door is our main entrance of choice and how the house was wired. The front door is close enough with the delay to disarm, but I also forgot to mention that I have zwave locks on the doors and have it set to disarm the alarm if the correct code is put into the locks to unlock the door. So no need to go to the panel to disarm anyways if coming thru the front door

I am using the phlocation plugin to determine the geofencing and my wife and I both have iPhones. I am still working out the kinks, but not sure I will ever trust my security to disarm without a code entry.

Comment

You guys both mentioned multiple panels, but are you talking about multiple security panels (systems) or multiple keypads? Even in the largest home I don't understand installing two separate panels if you've chosen the correct panel to start with. Either that or if you're supremely paranoid and want redundancy.

Mulu, which DSC panel are you installing?
          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

ok, I just reread the original post, and will assume you're talking about multiple keypads installed in the home, not security panels. I currently have one keypad installed at the garage entrance. You really need at least one keypad on a DSC system anyway for programming, so put it in an accessible but inconspicuous place if you want. That's what I did.

Now I have also considered another keypad in the master bedroom. Why? Because when the alarm is sounding, or you need to hit the panic button, you don't want to fumble with an app on your phone. I haven't decided though if the second keypad will be a real DSC keypad or part of a (yet to be installed) wall-mounted tablet.
            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
              You guys both mentioned multiple panels, but are you talking about multiple security panels (systems) or multiple keypads? Even in the largest home I don't understand installing two separate panels if you've chosen the correct panel to start with. Either that or if you're supremely paranoid and want redundancy.

Mulu, which DSC panel are you installing?
              For me its Keypads. I have only one panel locked away in the basement. And even with partitioning (if your house needs that like a detached storage shed), you get the ability to have essentially multiple alarm systems off the same panel.

I put in the 1864 model just because the cost difference from the 1832 wasn't much and it gives me room to expand. Right now I am using 15 zones hardwired, and 3 wireless (smokes). I have the PK5000 keypad (previous alarm had touch screen and hated it, so made sure to do actual buttons this time) and the RFK5000 keypad. The RF was needed so that I could add wireless sensors. Both keypads look identical to each other though.

I use the envisalink 4 module to integrate into HS with that plugin and works very well. Mine is also monitored thru a cell module (i don't have a landline and don't trust IP monitoring).

The only issue I am having is that I can't disable the status LED's on the right side of each keypad. Not an issue normally, except when one is installed in a bedroom (pretty common scenario in my area, all the houses are wired for it). I have black tape covering them right now, but really wish I could shut them off.

Comment

I am also talking about keypads. I do have two boxes, though. I had a professional install the security switches as I didn't want to drill the new Windows myself for warranty purposes. He is using one box with the main panel. I have put in a lot of additional switches inside the house for automation. These are connected to extension boards which I keep in my own box. I have the 1864 with the rfk5500. I probably won't use the wireless portion plus I have already used up about 50 or so wired connections.

Waynehead99, which touch panel did you have and why did you not like it.

Reidfo, which touch panel are you considering. How are you going to disable the alarm from it. Simply a diary button or having to enter the code?

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post

Waynehead99, which touch panel did you have and why did you not like it.
                  Our previous one was the 2gig model. It was sometimes unresponsive, or the button pushing was off. No matter how much calibration you did, nothing would fix it and the alarm company wouldn't replace it.

Plus what normally you wouldn't consider that was a factor, is when it wouldn't work, the panic would set in and you would try to do it faster to beat the alarm tripping within the 30 second window, which would make it fail more. Buttons I know I pushed and they just work, and it's what the wife wanted. Besides, now that I have it integrated into HS, once I get my logic done, very little interaction will be happening with the panel anyways, and they are in areas that aren't seen much anyways, so save the bucks and get the cheaper panels.

The touch does make it a little easier to program things (if that truly is a thing when programming an alarm system), but with the DLS software on the DSC, it wasn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                    Reidfo, which touch panel are you considering. How are you going to disable the alarm from it. Simply a diary button or having to enter the code?
                    I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning towards HSTouch running on Android tablets. Either that or a touch interface that can talk to the JSON API in HomeSeer. In any wall mounted touch panel I would require entering the alarm code to disarm the alarm. I have experimented with HSTouch on our mobile phones that will unlock the front door and disarm the alarm without a passcode, since we already have passcode/fingerprint locks on our phones.

Comment

Working...
                    X