Sluggish Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airedale View Post
    I'd be concerned that distance or some kind of routing could be an issue, but I am seeing a delay when the stick and device are in the same room only 10 feet apart!

I walked into the office this morning and it took 14 seconds (I counted in my head) from the time I saw the light trigger on the motion detector to the point that the lights turned on. The other motion detectors in my house seem to be responding very quickly - within a second or so of motion being detected.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this motion detector device in particular?

What is the brand of your zwave interface?

Also I see you are using an eco link motion. I have a couple of them I bought from the net I really like and also ones I got from Home Depot that I don't like. Though the insides are the same, the Home Depot ones aren't as responsive.

Also usually when I add a new node or move one, I just optimize it and not the whole network. In fact, I don't think I have ever done a full optimize. This is tricky with battery operated devices though as you have to keep them awake.

Have you tried just optimizing the one motion? In routing does it see homeseer first without routing thru other nodes?

Comment

Seems to me the motion response is showing up in the log in a timely fashion. Id be looking at how the lights are being signalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't tried optimizing this one device as it would seem that it has a direct connection with the controller.

I purchased this one off of eBay and have noticed it was a bit more sluggish than any of the others I own. Technically this is the only eco link.

I have attached the node information for reference. It'd be great to know why it takes it 14 seconds for the signal to hit Homeseer for the event to be processed.
        Attached Files

Comment

The logs showed the motion detection trigger and lights on action all the same second, but it was not clear to me in all this if the trigger was delayed coming in or the lights on was delayed after HS sent the On command. If you are not sure which is which then ensure your machine clock and a watch are accurate and in sync and check the time when the light comes on then look at the log. That will narrow it to the motion detector or light switch. Might just be a defective device if everything else in the system seems fast.

Comment

The logs were to demonstrate that the processing of the event is not at fault. I am thinking it is an issue with the device to homeseer (and potentially my z-wave network). I just am not sure how to prove it out, outside of a watch and comparing the log times. I was hoping to find another way to see the device's logs, or some other mechanism to see why.

Comment

I've tested response times of HS > device in the past by creating an event that toggles something multiple times, e.g.

Switch ON
              THEN Wait 5 Seconds
              THEN Switch OFF
              THEN Wait 5 Seconds
              THEN Switch ON
              THEN Wait 5 Seconds
              THEN Switch OFF
              etc...

Fire the event a few times and if the device is controlled in a timely manner then it is more likely that the issue is with the triggering device.

Paul..

Comment

After more testing and even purchasing a new motion sensor (Zooz), I am noticing the same things:
                1. Missed motion events randomly
                2. Super delayed Events - but they look like delays from the time the zwave signal is sent, not from processing the event

Along with that, I just experienced a timed event that failed to run this morning:
                • Aug-08 6:00:21 AM Z-Wave Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: 1st Floor Kitchen Coffee Pot Root
                • Aug-08 6:00:00 AM Device Control Device: 1st Floor Kitchen Coffee Pot Root to On (255)
                • Aug-08 6:00:00 AM Event Event Trigger "Timed Events Coffee Pot On"

Any more thoughts here?

Comment

You might have a dodgy z-wave device. I have had sluggish response and that sort of error message in the past with flaky z-wave devices. Either removing them from the network or resetting them with a power cycle usually fixed it.

Unfortunately it's quite difficult to find, as there isn't any clue in the logging, you just have to use trial and error.

Comment

I'd be concerned that distance or some kind of routing could be an issue, but I am seeing a delay when the stick and device are in the same room only 10 feet apart!

I walked into the office this morning and it took 14 seconds (I counted in my head) from the time I saw the light trigger on the motion detector to the point that the lights turned on. The other motion detectors in my house seem to be responding very quickly - within a second or so of motion being detected.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this motion detector device in particular?
                    Any update on this? I have stuggled with this over a year now on my new HS3 system and have narrowed it down to my z-wave network. Reading some threads i found a trick, but it hasn't been a long term fix, only short term. I backup the network, then restore the network. This removes all neighbors for each node. Run a communications test and then selectively optimize nodes further away from the smartstick but I NEVER OPTIMIZE ALL NODES. What would happen before is the nodes would start creating long routes when they would work 99% of the time directly or through just 1 node.

SO i really just optimize about 4 nodes out of 60 so if one has a hard time going direct, then it goes through 1 or 2 of the 4 that have been optimized. I believe optimizing allows the node to know who its neighbors are so then then when a node doesn't work directly, it tries a neighbor.

So when i restore and optimize a few nodes i can get my communications test to complete within 20 seconds. I noticed things got slow in the last week (nothing has changed on the system) so i ran a communications test....50 seconds to finish all the nodes. Looking at the nodes, a lot of the routes are now running at 40k through a node instead of direct.

I REALLY WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO LOCK THE ROUTES even if we had to lock them but have 1, also locked, backup route.

Anyone have some ideas??

Comment

Are you polling devices? It was suggested to disable polling on all devices except battery ones and then to only poll the battery child.

Michael

Comment

Some devices need to be polled though. How do you get around devices that do not report their status?

Comment

Some devices need to be polled though. How do you get around devices that do not report their status?
                          I poll them.

Comment

Working...
                          X