Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sluggish Performance

Hello,

I am looking for advice on my system. It has been installed for about 6 months now and has slowly degraded over time in terms of performance.

The reaction times of my motion sensors was near instantaneous when I first put the system in. Walk in a room and instantly the lights turned on. Now it can take 20+ seconds at times.

I have a motion sensor in a bathroom and sometimes it doesn't even register there was motion, though this used to never be a problem. I also have been noticing that it is missing the motion ended signal as the lights are not turning off either.

The one thing that has changed, is the amount of events I have added in. Is there a limit? Is there a recommendation on how to approach events? I can't imagine it would take 20 seconds to evaluate a motion event and trigger the action.

The system is running on an Intel NUC that has an i5 processor. It runs Windows 10.

I have tried doing a fully system optimization, which only seemed to break a bunch of my battery controlled devices for a while.

At this point, I am almost missing the responsiveness of my Vera for the instability it had! The irony is when I first put the system in, it was WAY more responsive.

Thanks for any advice you guys have!

Adam

Are you using scripts is the first point?

2nd as a controls engineer I would trust a Windows install to run anything
    My system is on a rpi and us as fast as the day it was installed.
    It is now comprehensive to say the least.

I am ex Vera too so understand how bad that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sometimes this is a multifaceted issue that is nothing more than a headache to sort - it can be one thing, two things, or something else you would never think (like a miscreant plugin pulling resources).

I would suggest as a starter enabling logging of these motion sensor (also are they Z-Wave/X10 or something else) and checking the HS log when you activate the sensor. If the log entry appears instantly then you can reasonably safely assume that HS has received the motion sensor command and any delay is going to be post this (the event action may have issues), if you have a delay in the log entry appearing this might point to the receiving of the command having an issue. Unfortunately whilst this might help it sometimes can be something you never think...

Comment

I can't imagine a RPI would have more horsepower than a NUC running Windows. I think I have even read that you can't run as many plugins if it is on RPI, so I'll negate that as being a contributing factor. Thanks for the thought though...

I do have a few scripts running, but they are super minor and only run on other events. They have nothing to do with motion triggers. They trigger when I get home once and that is it.

I will enable the logging to see the timing of the events, but at the same time I do worry that it does have something to do with my network in one way or another.

As an example of what I have noticed:
        • Enter the room and look at the motion sensor
        • It signals RED, indicating that it detected motion.
        • It hangs being RED for many seconds.
        • A second or so after the red light turns off, the lights turn on.

Thanks for the quick responses so far.

Comment

Can you list some of the equipment you are using in terms of motion sensors, light switches/modules etc.??
          Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by airedale View Post
            The system is running on an Intel NUC that has an i5 processor. It runs Windows 10.
            I'm running HS3 on an old Windows 7 machine with a Core 2 Duo. Response times are very fast.

As others have suggested, the problem could be quite unexpected. A plug-in or script that is misbehaving are pretty common, but malfunctioning hardware could also be a fault, especially an interface device or something that is being overloaded and imposing its slow response onto HS.

If possible, disable all plug-ins - or at least all that you can operate without - and see if performance improves. Then introduce them one at a time while monitoring response times.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by airedale View Post
              I will enable the logging to see the timing of the events, but at the same time I do worry that it does have something to do with my network in one way or another.
              The log is the first thing I would look at. Just watch it for a few minutes to see if anything stands out. If you have been adding lots of events, it is possible one or more of them is doing something unintended. HomeSeer does a lot of things to prevent us from shooting ourselves in the foot, but it is still very possible to make mistakes such as logic resulting in ping ponging between events.

I also run on a Zee S2 RPi and have tons of devices and events. As long as I do not make mistakes in event logic it easily handles the many things going on at any given time. I get dizzy watching the log when people are walking around the house, but it runs fine.

If not much is happening in the log and you use Z-Wave it might be one or more devices loading down the RF network. Also take a look at the processes running on the machine to see if any have very high CPU or memory usage.

John

HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.293
              Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 2 Days 10 Hours 25 Minutes 40 Seconds
              Number of Devices: 324
              Number of Events: 225
              Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
              3.0.0.27: EasyTrigger
              3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
              3.0.5959.34353: UltraM1G3
              3.0.0.50: weatherXML
              3.0.1.83: Z-Wave

Comment

Two updates:

1. I had the MQTT plugin and disabled it. I think things *might* have improved slightly.

2. I tested walking into my office to see how it responded and had two different experiences this evening:
                1. The lights turned on right away.
                2. The motion detector flashed RED and the lights took about 3 - 4 seconds before they turned on. In the logs though, it looks like it was instantaneous (order is bottom to top):
                  • Aug-01 9:02:05 PM Device Control Device: 1st Floor Office Office Mantle to On (99)
                  • Aug-01 9:02:05 PM Device Control Device: 1st Floor Office Office Floor Lamp to On (255)
                  • Aug-01 9:02:05 PM Event Event Trigger "Office Lighting Motion In Office"
                  • Aug-01 9:02:05 PM Z-Wave Device: 1st Floor Office Office Motion Sensor Set to On/Open/Motion

So at this point, how do I troubleshoot why it is taking 3 - 4 seconds at times from the point the device visually indicates it had a trigger to the point that Homeseer sees it? One other point here, the motion sensor is about 10 feet diagonally away from the Z-stick, so I can't imagine it would be trying to take a route.

Here are the devices in that room which are involved:

Motion Sensor: Ecolink - Sensor Binary(V 1), Notification(V 2), Manufacturer Specific, Version, Association, Wake Up, Battery(V 1), Configuration
                Floor Lamp: Jasco Products - Switch Binary(V 1), Switch All, Protection, Powerlevel, Configuration, Version, Manufacturer Specific, Node Naming
                Switch (Mantle): Jasco Products - Switch Multilevel(V 1), Switch All, Configuration, Version, Manufacturer Specific

Number of Devices: 271
                Number of Events: 91
                Available Threads: 400

Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.50.0: BLLock
                5.0.0.22: Global Cache
                3.0.0.102: HSTouch Server
                3.0.5.85: Insteon
                3.0.0.11: NetCAM
                3.1.0.13: Sonos
                3.0.1.87: Z-Wave

Comment

Might be a bunch of other Zwave traffic clogging things up when HS sends commands to the devices. Try going to the zwaveconfig web page on your system and check the queues and see if the Frames in are counting up. Here's mine:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	ZWaveconfigPage.png
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1186497
                  Last edited by jhearty; August 1, 2016, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Here is mine - seems like it is "normal"
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sluggish Performance

I have about 80 zwave devices, 600 devices total and about 500 events with about 40 scripts. Probably have about 15 active plugins running. All running on a duo core 2 with 4 gigs of ram and Windows 10. It's pretty solid and responsive. I say this to show your equipment probably isn't the issue.

Now I did have zwave lag until I moved my zwave stick to the middle of the basement ceiling with a sub extension cable. I am running the smart stick + as well. I used to have lots of zwave issues when I was using an Aeon stick. Once I got rid of that, things got much better.
                      Last edited by waynehead99; August 1, 2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Also I see your on .87 for the zwave plugin. I don't know what was done I. That version as HS still hasn't learned what a release note is, but it is beta. I am on .83 which I think is the current release (Mainly needed for the new HS switches).

Did you notice a change when you did an update to that plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                          Also I see your on .87 for the zwave plugin. I don't know what was done I. That version as HS still hasn't learned what a release note is, but it is beta. I am on .83 which I think is the current release (Mainly needed for the new HS switches).

Did you notice a change when you did an update to that plugin?
                          Just 2 quick data points. 3.0.1.87 is the release version and there are release notes:

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175414
                          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                            Just 2 quick data points. 3.0.1.87 is the release version and there are release notes:

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175414

Holy wow. Thanks Randy. I stand corrected this one time

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                              I have about 80 zwave devices, 600 devices total and about 500 events with about 40 scripts. Probably have about 15 active plugins running. All running on a duo core 2 with 4 gigs of ram and Windows 10. It's pretty solid and responsive. I say this to show your equipment probably isn't the issue.

Now I did have zwave lag until I moved my zwave stick to the middle of the basement ceiling with a sub extension cable. I am running the smart stick + as well. I used to have lots of zwave issues when I was using an Aeon stick. Once I got rid of that, things got much better.
                              I'd be concerned that distance or some kind of routing could be an issue, but I am seeing a delay when the stick and device are in the same room only 10 feet apart!

I walked into the office this morning and it took 14 seconds (I counted in my head) from the time I saw the light trigger on the motion detector to the point that the lights turned on. The other motion detectors in my house seem to be responding very quickly - within a second or so of motion being detected.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this motion detector device in particular?

Comment

Working...
                              X