Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stability

Hi,

Just a general query, I have recently moved from VeraPlus to Homeseer, prefer it in many ways, however one thing which continues to surprise me is the stability of Homeseer, and particularly plug-ins.

I seem to get a crash of somesort almost every day, mainly in the Hue plug in, but sometimes losing the Z wave controller, sometimes a general crash, sometimes losing the connection tot he door lock (thank God for bluetooth or I would have been locked out twice in 2 weeks) meaning i need to restart the app, or sometimes the whole server. I'm running it on 2008 R2, is this normal experience for people or am I just being a bit unlucky?

It may be a function of the plug-ins you are running, or the OS.
    I have HS3 on an old PC running Win7. HS3 has crashed twice in the last year, but not recently. My HS2 install ran for many years without crashing at all. I did need to restart it about every three weeks, though, to reduce the number of open handles.

Jon00 has a useful Performance Monitoring tool to track key metrics of your computer and HS. I've found it helpful for pinpointing system problems as they develop. It can be found on his web site.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      It may be a function of the plug-ins you are running, or the OS.
      I have HS3 on an old PC running Win7. HS3 has crashed twice in the last year, but not recently. My HS2 install ran for many years without crashing at all. I did need to restart it about every three weeks, though, to reduce the number of open handles.

Jon00 has a useful Performance Monitoring tool to track key metrics of your computer and HS. I've found it helpful for pinpointing system problems as they develop. It can be found on his web site.
      Thanks,

I might give that a try, although I am thinking of moving to a virtual win 7 or 10 machine anyway if that might give me more stability.

Comment

I seem to get a crash of somesort almost every day,
        Hi trevor-austin,
        It is not normal for HS3 to crash regularly, even with a lot of plug ins.
        I run HS3 on a Win7 pc that also handles CCTV as well as being a media server, and controlling terrestrial and satellite TV, and the only time I reboot that is when Windows does updates. Everything is rock solid on this pc. I think you need to do some detective work to find out what is causing the crashing
        Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

Originally posted by Traction Tim View Post
          Hi trevor-austin,
          It is not normal for HS3 to crash regularly, even with a lot of plug ins.
          I run HS3 on a Win7 pc that also handles CCTV as well as being a media server, and controlling terrestrial and satellite TV, and the only time I reboot that is when Windows does updates. Everything is rock solid on this pc. I think you need to do some detective work to find out what is causing the crashing
          That's what I wanted to hear. So my problems are fixable, is it easy to move the installation to another machine? Just reinstall restore the config and z wave and away you go? Or more involved than that.

Comment

is it easy to move the installation to another machine?
            Hi again, if you do a search on the forum you will find the answer to that - I think it involves installing it on the new machine, and then copying the existing folders over. I believe it is quite simple if you are going X86 to X86 (Or X64 to X64), but not so easy if you are going X86 to X64.
            Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

Hi.

My HS3 has always been stable.

On HS2 I got into stability problems after a lot of stable years. After a lot of work trying to fix it I gave up and reinstalled the OS and HS and put a HS backup on top of that. Then it was stable again.

Regards
              Morten

Comment

Originally posted by Traction Tim View Post
                Hi again, if you do a search on the forum you will find the answer to that - I think it involves installing it on the new machine, and then copying the existing folders over. I believe it is quite simple if you are going X86 to X86 (Or X64 to X64), but not so easy if you are going X86 to X64.

This is correct.

Comment

Here running HS3 Pro and Zee-2 (HS3 Lite) stable these days.

It was a personal preference here to move HS3 Pro to Ubuntu 64bit.

Really same as shifting HS3 Zee-2 over from Wheezy to Ubuntu 64 bit (Arm and AMD CPUs these days). IE: just a personal preference.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

My zees2 and Windows 7 on a VM have been rock solid.
                    I had one issue with the sonos plug in once but I think I had a wifi problem.
                    Ran for 6 months without a glitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did it last night to a windows 10 VM, much quicker and seems a lot more stable.

Thanks guys.

Comment

I've been running HS3 for about a year now. First in a Windows 7 VM that I recently upgraded to Windows 10. No stability issues at all. The same VM runs Blue Iris and Unify AP Controller.

Comment

Working...
                        X