Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can automatically open/close an AC vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not done a cost analysis. But even if it does not save any money, I would still run the attic fan because the air conditioner is able to cool the upstairs without running continuously. The AC is noisy. We turn it off at midnight so we can sleep better. The upstairs is definitely cooler when we run the attic fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Another idea

Although unusual, it should be possible to use a "balloon" of your construction or a beach ball to block the vent. Use a electronically controlled values that are opened with Z-wave switches. The air sources are the inexpensive small pumps that is used to blow up and deflate water toys. One is used to inflate. One is used to deflate. It may be possible to find a multiway valve would require only one pump. The added advantages are that only a small hole in the duct is needed to insert the balloon and the balloon provides some insulation from the outside. Cheers.

Comment

More about air bladders for HVAC

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ol-of-duct-air

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

WOW, look at this guys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2EJLhZ939A. That's pretty much exactly what I would need. Anyone know what that system is called, how much it costs, and if it could integrate with HS?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think this balloon thing would be the ultimate way to go if you want granular control over every single room & zone in the house. This system supports 24 zones, which would be perfect for me.

Comment

I found this PDF for it - http://site.mypointnow.com/documents/99-j240102.pdf, but apparently their web site doesn't exist anymore. It was made by this company called Home Comfort Zones. Anyone have any more info on this system?

Comment

Looks like it moved to here:

Get Emme - Residential Room-by-Room
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Fun with AC

Zoning systems are expensive and generally proprietary (company techs required). This makes them difficult to interface to HA systems. There are many motorized damper systems on the market that do a good job of zoning. A HVAC company could provide what you need. All that being said, I proposed a simple bladder duct system that could be easily controlled from Homeseer. A commercial system would work but DIY is much more entertaining.

Comment

Personally wouldn't recommend a DIY relating to zoning and I would recommend leaving that to the professional HVAC company.

As mentioned earlier typically it is a cookie cutter installation that works (sort of) for most houses many times done cheaply with as little resources and materials needed these days.

The above said a friend recently finished building his new home next to his old hold on a farm. He did use a GC and then subcontracted on his own for added things.

He went with a single HVAC device and configured for hot water heat in his basement.

The HVAC is zoned with multiple thermostats in the house (~ 6k SF) and these are connected to dampers at the source (furnace in the basement). Works good for him.

Not sure if the proprietary system can be redone to work with HS.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Take the advice of those recommending an HVAC professional with experience with resolving zone/envelope/ductwork issues.

I'm in the HA-HVAC/R industry (Service/Installation Contractors), and it's very important that the system operates at it's design parameters.

THAT SAID. Will closing a single vent create a problem with-in the system? Well it depends. Lets say it's an 8" round duct @ .10, you'll be closing off upto ~240 CFM, that's a significant amount of air. Now if it's a 6" round duct @ .10, you'll be closeing off ~110 CFM, that's not so bad.

It doesn't matter if you have a dynamic ECM blower motor, you may still run into problems. When you increase the static pressure on equipment that utilize a dynamic ECM blower motor, the motor will attempt to ramp up it's speed to compensate. This causes the motor to consume more power, creating more heat and diminishes it's life expectancy. It will also affect it's ramping profiles if utilized.

Many of the more advanced system being designed today (top of the line equipment) have safety logic built into it's control system to prevent the blower motor from performing a high speed rpm ramp up.
                    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Working...
                    X