Recommendations on simple plug-in surge suppressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations on simple plug-in surge suppressor

Almost once a year I lose one of my RCS thermostats to a power surge - usually electrical storms in the summer. Because the control units are plugged in next to my HVAC systems - one in the basement and one in the attic - they are not living happily behind my fierce wall of UPS and surge suppressors in the HA closet. Can anyone with an electrical engineering background recommend a simple plug-in suppressor that might actually protect my thermostats? Thanks

I know that there are whole house surge suppressors you can put it your panel, but can't recommend a particular brand.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Interesting. Do these work? Might be a better option assuming it is not cost prohibitive

Comment

I have no experience with them...though, I understand they are suppose to protect your house entirely. Looks good..

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.w...000726473.html

and

http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/201...ge-protection/

Robert

EDIT: The more I realize my z-wave network is growing, the more I realize I need to invest in something like this...
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I had a Leviton similar to this one installed about 15 years ago. I had to replace it about 7-8 years ago because it sacrificed itself to a surge, but there was no other damage.

It requires two adjacent breakers dedicated to it. The one I have is not the same as the one I link to above, but similar. The one in the link looks to be a bit more capable then mine.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Checking into this a bit, I see you should use a 50 AMP dual poll breaker. This could drive the price up some as the last 50A breaker bought for the hot tube wasn't cheap...

Robert

Comment

Working...
            X