No announcement yet.

HomeSeer in the Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way back thought about doing something like this well and similar to the way cumulus runs.

That would be pushing of the data (config files and all) to a hosting service and running it locally on a host in the cloud. Same today for WeeWx.

Both of these are using Apache2. Cumulus does both a local web interface and an in the cloud web interface (apache2).

You could also DIY build a multiple protocal hub today that would work locally or via a WAN connection. Failure of connectivity from the Hub to the mothership locally would fail over to using a hosted mothership.

Here goofing around with the RPi can run Z-Wave, X10, UPB and getting ready to test Zigbee. The RPi would be a hardware hub of sorts using ethernet to communicate with the mothership Homeseer. Thinking there are a few folks running ZNet remotely across a WAN connection to their Homeseer mothership.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I run Homeseer on a Windows 8 instance on an ESXi box. Most of the interfacing is done over IP though I have one USB passthrough device that I don't use.

I should be able to migrate this over to the cloud-- but I don't see the advantage of this...
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Yeah here today I have no dependencies on the cloud for anything automation related. I do tinker with the stuff though.

Cumulus pushes data to the cloud for you to see but that is all it does. I like that because I know the hardware (weather station) is running.

I remote to my stuff via VPN.

For safekeeping today it's easy to just archive your homeseer directory. Homeseer runs on an RPi ($35) and an el cheapo micro SD card. So you can have two configured always updated with one being the primary Homeseer server. Switching hardware would be easy enough. For a non computer person or someone that is not familiar with the RPi...this might get a bit difficult....(long math wise)...so running Homeseer in the cloud using a Homeseer hub might work out...

A Homeseer cloud application with proprietary remote access to a propietary Homeseer hub (multiple hardware controller) would be a revenue generator for Homeseer starting with a small monthly service and it would probably be a very easy buy for many today. The only piece to this would be the installation of automated switches which can be a DIY but typically it is not for a non DIYer.

Personally it is not for me. I have been tinkering with hub's they are easy and cheap and work fine from my phone. (But here not tethered to my cell phones). My preferences here remain at automation for the home in the home.....that is me...and while I embrace new technology and can adapt fine with it...I am old these days and prefer long math way of software automation running in it's entirety at home.
        Last edited by Pete; March 21, 2018, 04:49 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

@Chuck,

Anyways, an interesting project and was wondering if anyone has tried and failed and why?
          Or tried and running and how?

Here got involved in the beginning with Securifi and the Almond + way back.

Worked fine and response times were great using the Amazon cloud. It has not been a failure.

The device is a combo router / firewall / WAP and automation hub.

You can today disconnect it from the internet and it will continue to automate just fine.

Recently security / alarm features and services (monthly) for home monitoring have been added to the Securifi Almond series of devices.

It is built on the OpenWRT OS and does a bunch with added ram and a small patented proprietary touch screen interface.
          Last edited by Pete; March 21, 2018, 05:07 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I wonder why dont you go for a managed AWS cloud hosting platform. Since you are familiar with the AWS terminolgies and have worked around it in free mode, there were limitation to put security checks and go for a dedicated ip. A managed platform will take care of this. So far i have only seen Cloudways providing managed AWS platform.

Comment

Working...
            X