Newbie Homeseer Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Homeseer Questions

Hello all. I am new to homeseer and purchased the Hometroller Sel Pro and Zwave USB stick. My controller is arriving in 2 days and I am extremely excited!

I am coming from a Smartthings HA environment and have some questions before installing my new Homeseer controller and setting up all my devices. Below is a list of my devices and below that list are some of my questions. I want to apologize in advanced of I asked anything stupid.

Devices to add to my Homeseer Controller :
    Lighting - I have a mix of zwave GE and Cooper RF dimmer, on/off and fan switches.
    GE Zwave outlet plugs for some of my kids TV's.
    Lutron caseta wireless Pico lamp devices.
    Philips HUE lights and bridge

Thermostats:
    Two Nest 2nd Generation

Garage Door Bridge:
    Chamberlain MyQ

Audio/Video:
    Logitech Harmony (3 hubs)
    Russound MCA
    Marantz SR7009 reciever
    Sonos speaker
    Plex media server

Questions for you all (please bare with me in New to Homeseer and I haven't even setup my account yet because I am still waiting for my controllef which shipped today)
    1. Should I exclude all my zwave devices from smartthings before starting to setup my Homeseer controller or is it possible to uninstall 1 device at a time from smartthings and then install it into my Homeseer network (maybe room by room) - i have close to
    2. I'm looking at switching out my GE Zwave switches and Lutron Caseta Wireless ND Pico remotes for the Cooper/Eaton ASPIRE RF switches. However, I see homeseer had their own line of dimmer switches and I wanted to know what would be best to control scenes. My wife wanted likes the button scene controller switch that Cooper sells and wants me to label the scenes but what I wanted to know is if scenes work best if using the Cooper brand with the ASPIRE line of switches or does the homeseer switches have their own scene controller switch which I can label the buttons similar to the Cooper. Also, what do you all recommend that works better the homeseer or the Cooper products?
    3. Is there any good documentation on his to use the HS3 software and also how to use the HSTouch software to customize the homeseer mobile app?
    4. I have an Amazon Echo and I think I can get that skill enabled and select devices to control (if it's anything like how I did it with Smartthings); however is there a good list of Alexa voice commands somewhere for homeseer owners?
    4. Is there a way to use individual mobile phones as presence sensors (like I do with Smartthings). Example, when my son gets home Homeseer will unlock the front door (schlage zwave lock), turn on his bedroom ceiling fan, turn on his desk lamp to do homework and text my wife and I that he has arrive at home. Maybe even using Sonos to welcome him with a message or a song?
    5. Finally - any good pointers anyone can shoot my way so I build my controller I don't miss anything?

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit asking all these questions and I don't have my controller yet but I'm really excited to be coming on board as a HS owner and even more excited to learn how to use HS3 and HSTouch to really customize this system as opposed to how my current smartthings system is limited.

Thanks to everyone in advanced for any comments, suggestions and tips.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nevermind, I got my controller and I was able to figure out everything I needed to do. My Homeseer Sel is grea and I've setuo my Homeseer Z stick and configured some lights switches using Ztool which is an awesome app that helps get my zwave devices added to my Sel.

Also, I was able to get all the devices I added to my Sel recognized by my Amazon Echo (it was a breeze).

Finally, I took a chance and ordered the Cooper rf9540, 9542 and the scene controller switch and I was able to get them all configured into a scene.

I am extremely happy thus far with my decision to come to homeseer from smartthings and id be glad to help anyone who has the same questions I had.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ajgurrieri View Post
      Hello all. I am new to homeseer and purchased the Hometroller Sel Pro and Zwave USB stick. . . . I am coming from a Smartthings HA environment and have some questions before installing my new Homeseer controller and setting up all my devices.
      Nevermind, I got my controller and I was able to figure out everything I needed to do. . . .I am extremely happy thus far with my decision to come to homeseer from smartthings and id be glad to help anyone who has the same questions I had.
      Welcome to the Homeseer Board. I'm glad you have everything working so easily, even without anyone responding to your questions. I think your post got "overlooked" in this spot. The General Discussion Area is where new users often post, so you might find it interesting to monitor that forum to see if there are questions you can help answer for other new users.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thank you so much for the reply and advise where to look/post new HS user questions. So far I am really loving this controller and the deep coding you can do with events to automate lights on/off/dim, etc...

Comment

Working...
        X