Is HS running? When your away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    We can go back and forth n this as to the rationale, but it stands that I and apparently others want to know if HomeSeer is alive at our houses. As to the cause of the failure and the possible cure if and when it fails, to each their own.

I have a working solution in place, but having it baked in to MyHS might have a value to some.
    My system has been very stable since my server was modified by a friend. But in my case I don't use a servaliance comp. to monitor my home. If there a issue HS send a pushover message and I call upon a neighbor and I do the same for him to check thing out in my home. Knowing that HS checks in regularly give piece of mind knowing that HS is well.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      I asked Rich about this and he suggested investigating IFTT as it uses your myHS account and there's more than likely an existing receipt for something along these lines.
      Borderline brilliant! Thanks!

~Bill

Comment

FWIW, we weren't able to get to our second house in 18 months. The SEL was running the entire time, turning on irrigation and outside lights, with no problems. If we are away for an extended while, I avoid doing any upgrades/updates, and everything just works.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
          I would like to know what others are doing to let them know if HS is running while your away from home?
          PRTG (on a different server) and UptimeRobot.com.
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
          Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
          on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
          WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            I asked Rich about this and he suggested investigating IFTT as it uses your myHS account and there's more than likely an existing receipt for something along these lines.

I looked at IFTTT recipes and I did not find anything that looked promising. Has anyone else investigated this approach?

How about a simple ping of the HSTouch server?

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I use the M1G plugin for my Elk alarm system.

I have scripts that routinely run on both HS and ELK to ping each other.

If either cannot talk to the other, either/both send me emails.

tenholde
              tenholde

Comment

I still have HS2 set up on a separate machine. It is configured as a backup for HS3 and it controls x10 lights etc. If HS3 stops working while I am away, I can send a WOL to the HS2 computer and it will startup. If I left the HS2 computer running while I was away, I would create some events to monitor HS3 (via a virtual device last change date) and send me an email when HS3 stops running. This might be a good way to utilize an old netbook or laptop computer that is not being used.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                  I would like to know what others are doing to let them know if HS is running while your away from home?
                  I have 3 UPSes running for power outages, 1 for the network devices and can keep that running for over 6 hours. 1 is dedicated for the HS computer (55 minutes on UPS) and the last for other server type computers. 2 of the 3 UPSes are configured (apcupsd) to send me notifications if power goes out and returns and safely power off the computers before battery runs out. Notification occurred last night for a 6 second power interruption. All computers are set to boot on power. The main gap I have in this setup is if my main DMZ server powers off while the UPS has power, it will not boot and I have no way connect to my home network to trigger a WOL. I've been thinking of using a non-UPS connected computer to trigger the WOL.

I also use Nagios to monitor the home computers, web services including HS3's site, and WAP's. I will get notifications if any monitored services fails. I guess it's time to see how to get Nagios to send the WOLs.

I also have select (very few) HS3 events which notify me on execution. No one event will run daily, however, there is always something that triggers where I at least get something every day.

And finally, while Nagios monitors a few internet sites, e.g. my ISP's main page, I also have a few CAO Gadgets devices that I tried as a proof of concept which did not work as I had hoped. They been limited to temperature and humidity monitoring and feed into HS3. Their IOT tag manager (antenna/gateway) is monitored from their external servers and I will get email notification from their servers if the tag manager goes offline or online.

Having read other thread responses, I might add a daily notification of something when my "out of town" setting is enabled.
                  Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                  Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                  Number of Devices: 633
                  Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                  2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                  3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                  30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                  3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                  3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                  3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

I have an ELK M1 alarm system and that texts me when the power is off for more then one minute, conversely my UPS also texts me the same.

As for HS notifying me it is running, I have nothing. Only my alerts if something changes/goes wrong etc.
                    -Skybolt

Comment

Here in the HS2 days did do a Homeseer watchdog event when away for over a day.

Not seeing debends of HS3 Pro running in Linux these days.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

For me, like many here I'm sure, I usually look at it when I have the opportunity and have generally gotten a feeling of comfort that it just keeps running. If I loose internet for whatever reason (very rare too), I trust that it is still running. Should I loose power, I'll get the notifications when it's on battery and again, when the battery is about to deplete and the event runs to bring it down. Should the power come back up, the server will just reboot. I haven't setup an event to notify me when it's back up - perhaps I should..
                        I find HS3 very stable for me - even better than HS2 which I also had comfort in leaving it alone.

Robert
                        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

i use this

https://uptimerobot.com/

you can send a notification trough email and use ifttt (use a email what is not important also for the registration)

or also pushover , pushbullet , tons of notification services,,

and you know if the server is offline or not
                          its free
                          Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
                          Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

I need this for the HS3 system keeping on eye on my 89yo father down in FL. HS3 has been stable - but the internet not so much and now it appears he has kicked the power cord out of the wall so I have to hire someone to go over there and put the plug back into the wall. Ugh. Would have been better if HS could have texted me when it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                              Originally posted by DrZWave View Post
                              I need this for the HS3 system keeping on eye on my 89yo father down in FL. HS3 has been stable - but the internet not so much and now it appears he has kicked the power cord out of the wall so I have to hire someone to go over there and put the plug back into the wall. Ugh. Would have been better if HS could have texted me when it happened.

Moskus & Malosa,

Thanks for the link to Uptime Robot. I was able to get it setup to monitor my HS3 Server as well as send pushover notifications in a matter of minutes. I believe I will now know when my HS3 startup fails (usually caused after a MS update push). Therefore, I'm very optimistic that this solution will solve one of my biggest impediments to meeting/exceeding WAF without any additional outlay of cash! Again, Thanks....to many this may seem like a minor issue, but in my household this is huge issue.

Forrest

Comment

Originally posted by Malosa View Post
                                i use this

https://uptimerobot.com/

you can send a notification trough email and use ifttt (use a email what is not important also for the registration)

or also pushover , pushbullet , tons of notification services,,

and you know if the server is offline or not
                                its free
                                Originally posted by Moskus View Post

Could either of you provide some details on how to set up uptimerobot to work with an HS3 server? Since my HS3 server doesn't have a typical web address, not sure how to access it through uptimerobot. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X