Bright switch? Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright switch? Anyone?

So a few years ago I signed up for the bright switch program and kind of forgot about it. So today I got an updated email and this thing looks awesome. Also very expensive if it doesn't work as advertised.

http://www.getbrightswitch.com/

So I am thinking HST support at a minimum. It is Z wave as well but I am not so that may be another issue. Anyway does anyone know anything regarding HS on this?
    -Skybolt

I saw this switch a couple years ago and their claims that it would be in production within 6 months. I didn't send any money, figured I would pay the full price on the switch if it ever came out.

I am still interested as it does look like a cool product, and I would think in some ways since its andriod that you could integrate it somehow. Zwave at the very least I think would be supported, depending on the type of hardware they are using.

Comment

In theory you could use HSTouch and an old phone on a wall mount to do the same thing, with probably more flexibility. Looks nice. When they start shipping would love to see it in action.

Comment

If you look closely the Android menu is there, so I am thinking HSTouch could be loaded somehow then it could control anything.

I am hoping for HST being able to load, as I would like to make these music controllers and I could ditch my x10 completely then.
        -Skybolt

Comment

Too expensive for what it does.
          I prefer a small tablet or android phone + zwave dimmer switch & HST.
          Half the price and can deploy new screen any time.
          When HST works, of course.

Comment

I ordered 6 of them. At this point I don't think I would even use them as they have drastically changed the design from the original in ways that I didn't like.

I will say this. It is better than an android tablet in the following ways:

1) Multiple of them together create an easy to setup intercome system (with video)
            2) They have a motion sensor built into the switch which I believe will be accessible from the controller
            3) They have an open API
            4) to some degree it does security (though I would not depend on it), and
            5) Music is supposed to follow you around the house (if you use it for music). It uses BT and your phone. I'm not sure I would ever use this though as I don't normally walk around my house with my phone.

For the price I think it's great. I wished they had a better way of doing the wall plates though. I have a couple of placed I want to use it in a 5 gang and they aren't offering a 5 gang version of their plate.

Still, like I said, I may not use mine (may sell them). I've switched over to Insteon for my lighting because I like the KPLs and FanLincs.

Edit: For those that said "too expensive". I paid $440 for my 6. That is less than $75 each. When I bought them this was less than a leviton dimmer (which this includes a dimmer). So it was actually quite a deal at the time. Not sure about now since prices have dropped, but at the time I really thought it was a great deal!
            Last edited by sirmeili; September 9, 2016, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
              ... I will say this. It is better than an android tablet in the following ways:

1) Multiple of them together create an easy to setup intercome system (with video)
              2) They have a motion sensor built into the switch which I believe will be accessible from the controller
              3) They have an open API
              4) to some degree it does security (though I would not depend on it), and
              5) Music is supposed to follow you around the house (if you use it for music). It uses BT and your phone. I'm not sure I would ever use this though as I don't normally walk around my house with my phone.
              For sure I totally agree with you and for the same reasons. I don't even use my tablet for HS at all.

... For the price I think it's great. I wished they had a better way of doing the wall plates though. I have a couple of placed I want to use it in a 5 gang and they aren't offering a 5 gang version of their plate.

Still, like I said, I may not use mine (may sell them). I've switched over to Insteon for my lighting because I like the KPLs and FanLincs.
              I am also running Insteon, but I don't think I care about the ability to turn a dedicated light on or off. That can always be done by a simple HST button. Music control for me is key (through HST). But it would be great if the camera/intercom/motion etc. could be utilized by HS in some way.

If you look at this install it looks like wall plates don't really matter. I could be wrong but it sure looks that way.

http://www.getbrightswitch.com/products
              -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                I am also running Insteon, but I don't think I care about the ability to turn a dedicated light on or off. That can always be done by a simple HST button. Music control for me is key (through HST). But it would be great if the camera/intercom/motion etc. could be utilized by HS in some way.

If you look at this install it looks like wall plates don't really matter. I could be wrong but it sure looks that way.

http://www.getbrightswitch.com/products
                True. It depends on if you overlay what they use and if you can access their camera/intercom stuff from another app (hopefully you can). If I can access that stuff from another app, then I could see this being huge, even with out using the switch/dimmer.

The plates do matter. Look at how big the plates are next to it. They've said from the beginning that you'd have to buy their plates and they will do 1 to 4 gang versions.

At the very bottom of their instructions:

We will supply a custom faceplate if you are mounting beside an existing switch.
                Prior to shipping we will contact you regarding the type you need.

Comment

True. It depends on if you overlay what they use and if you can access their camera/intercom stuff from another app (hopefully you can). If I can access that stuff from another app, then I could see this being huge, even with out using the switch/dimmer.
                  Exactly! - Real huge, but it all hinges if we can side load this thing.

The plates do matter. Look at how big the plates are next to it. They've said from the beginning that you'd have to buy their plates and they will do 1 to 4 gang versions.

At the very bottom of their instructions:
                  Yep: "Faceplate Plugs into Base (Screen shown active for clarity).
                  We will supply a custom faceplate if you are mounting beside an existing switch.
                  Prior to shipping we will contact you regarding the type you need."

I still think it doesn't matter. look at the picture captioned by my quote off of there site. It looks like the device only takes up a full single gang width. I am pretty sure an off the shelf cheap plate could be modified to fit. At least I think so, may not be as pretty as theirs though. Need to get one to play with.
                  -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                    Yep: "Faceplate Plugs into Base (Screen shown active for clarity).
                    Prior to shipping we will contact you regarding the type you need."

I still think it doesn't matter. look at the picture captioned by my quote off of there site. It looks like the device only takes up a full single gang width. I am pretty sure an off the shelf cheap plate could be modified to fit. At least I think so, may not be as pretty as theirs though. Need to get one to play with.
                    The older face plates made it a lot more clear that they were custom made.

The one you posted looks like it sits on top, but either way, the unit itself is bigger as a normal face plate. My guess is you could probably get a single gange one from them and make it work, but it wouldn't look as nice. They are doing up to 4 gangs which covers most people. I can't even buy 5 gang boxes in town. I have to order them (at least plastic ones).

etiher way, I still cant' wait for them to come in, but Hopefully they aren't as bad as my "ThingChargers" and "Trackrs". Both were a huge waste of money. I no longer crowd fund stuff anymore because of those 2 (both delivered, but they just took so long to get to me, they are no longer needed).

BTW, I have 10 thingChargers if people want to buy them off me...LOL

Comment

Edit: For those that said "too expensive". I paid $440 for my 6. That is less than $75 each. When I bought them this was less than a leviton dimmer (which this includes a dimmer). So it was actually quite a deal at the time. Not sure about now since prices have dropped, but at the time I really thought it was a great deal!
                      For $75 I agree it is a deal. For$199, not so much.
                      I look forward to see someone testing it.

Comment

Originally posted by jetkit View Post
                        For $75 I agree it is a deal. For$199, not so much.
                        I look forward to see someone testing it.
                        I'm not sure $75 would be worth it for me today, but I bought them waaaaaay back on indiegogo, so that money is already gone. I will try one and if I don't like it maybe I'll sell them. I always say that though and I've got a bunch of crap sitting around here to put on ebay!

Comment

I am totally going to experiment with one. The price is a little steep, but the outcome will be worth it if It integrates well.
                          -Skybolt

Comment

Just got an update on these.

They are definitely going to support the play store and should be available by the end of the year.
                            -Skybolt

Comment

Working...
                            X