Homeseer and Kwikset locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
    or you wait for holidays if they still do this.. .
    if so 50% off...
    I did the 50% in March and there should be another in Nov.

The problem is still the same. Since everything is 50% off HS3 and HS Touch Designer is now 250.00 total and pro is 300.00. A plugin is 39.99 (don't think those were on sale but maybe). So still works out that unless you need two or more of their plugins (which maybe some people do, but I don't need even one of theirs) then it's still cheaper to buy separately. Also HS touch designer is not a first month kind of thing. I recommend anyone new to start with imperihome and work on designer after you get a bit used to Homeseer and everything. Designer is not the easiest to use and very time consuming.

Comment

Great info everyone.

Can you change/add codes on the locks when not at the house? preferably from your phone?

for example, you're out of town, and at last minute need to give someone access, but don't want to give them your code. You want to make them their own code.

Comment

Originally posted by CinBRandon View Post
        Great info everyone.

Can you change/add codes on the locks when not at the house? preferably from your phone?

for example, you're out of town, and at last minute need to give someone access, but don't want to give them your code. You want to make them their own code.
        Yes you can but not really in the app. You can do it from the web ui which can be done on the phone or from a computer.

So yes but not as easy as say unlocking or locking the lock.

Comment

It's not too difficult to add a code from designer using a HS event, which means you could add codes to your lock from anywhere
          Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
          | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
          Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
          BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by BlairG View Post
            It's not too difficult to add a code from designer using a HS event, which means you could add codes to your lock from anywhere
            That just doesnt sound safe!
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Designer is not a newbie task either. Rather then overwelm him out the gate. Just better to use the web ui.

Comment

It seems the 10 button locks have way more possibility of codes than the 5 button locks. 15625 button sequences versus 1,000,000 on a 6 digit button sequence.

I know they double up on the numbers, but it doesn't matter what's on the button, could be pictures or letters, but there are still only a certain mount of options of which button gets pressed next in the sequence. Less buttons, less options.

Or am I missing something?

Comment

It seems the 10 button locks have way more possibility of codes than the 5 button locks. 15625 button sequences versus 1,000,000 on a 6 digit button sequence.

I know they double up on the numbers, but it doesn't matter what's on the button, could be pictures or letters, but there are still only a certain mount of options of which button gets pressed next in the sequence. Less buttons, less options.

How many possibilities do you need? If you enter a code more then a few times it times out and makes you wait even longer. And if you figure out how long it would take you to try 15,625 tries its quiet a long time.

I also might not use a 6 digit code and you not knowing how many digits also throws a wrench in the code guessing.

There was a huge post on this years ago on the vera forum. And someone figured out the time it took including timing out every few tries. It was something ridiculous then the thread got moved off topic to there is way easier ways to break in then code guessing.

Comment

Indeed I prefer the Kwikset 10 button locks to the 5 button, only mainly because I don't have to do mental ninjitzu on hitting the double-numbered buttons correctly. But one of my locks is the 5 button variety and it works just fine, and I believe there's enough code combinations to keep out the average person. If someone really wants to break into your house they'll just use a crowbar or a heavy foot.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                      Indeed I prefer the Kwikset 10 button locks to the 5 button, only mainly because I don't have to do mental ninjitzu on hitting the double-numbered buttons correctly. But one of my locks is the 5 button variety and it works just fine, and I believe there's enough code combinations to keep out the average person. If someone really wants to break into your house they'll just use a crowbar or a heavy foot.
                      Good info. Thanks.
                      Agreed, the more I've thought about it, the door I'm putting it on, unfortunately, has a glass window, they could break and turn lock. Current deadbolt has a key on both sides...pros and cons there as well.

I also want one on a storage room in my garage, that I sometimes have friends/ clients, that need to get into for gear. Often leave it unlocked due to hassle. I'm thinking 5 button here and 10-button on the house.

Comment

Just ordered my home controller Zee S2 today, along with a lock and outlet.

Got to thinking, can the exterior lock button be used as a trigger to homeseer?
                        Could do something like: when leaving, and lock the door with exterior lock button, turn on exterior lights for 15 minutes.

Comment

Just ordered my home controller Zee S2 today, along with a lock and outlet.

Got to thinking, can the exterior lock button be used as a trigger to homeseer?
                          Could do something like: when leaving, and lock the door with exterior lock button, turn on exterior lights for 15 minutes.
                          Yes, this is possible as there is a "Locked by Button" status that gets set.

Cheers
                          Al
                          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
                          X