Homeseer and Kwikset locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer and Kwikset locks

Pre-purchase questions for Homeseer and Kwikset locks.

If you have experience with the Kwikset Z-wave locks:
    - can you program codes without being connected to a hub? Will the unit work as a standalone unit with no hub in the picture at all, before after or during set up?

With hub in place:
    - can you remotely see if the lock is engaged?

- Can you get notified when certain codes are used to open the door?

- will the Hub log when the door is unlocked/locked and via what codes? To go back and review the logs later?
    (kids says they came home at 10p, but their code was used at 11p)

- Will it notify the hub even if it's open from the inside, without a code?

Many thanks

You should send this question to sales@homeseer.com
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I've got a bunch of Kwikset locks.

Originally posted by CinBRandon View Post
      - can you program codes without being connected to a hub? Will the unit work as a standalone unit with no hub in the picture at all, before after or during set up?
      Only when it's in standalone mode. ie. if it's not currently configured to be connected to a z-wave controller, you can program manual codes via the keypad. Once connected to a z-wave controller, my *understanding* (though I've never actually tried to do it manually) is that you have to do the codes from homeseer.

You CAN however, use the locks just fine when the controller is down. ie. you can still lock and unlock the locks with any already programmed code with homeseer down. You just can't change the codes.

With hub in place:
      - can you remotely see if the lock is engaged?
      You bet - You can see if the lock is locked/unlocked no problem, and it's instant.

- Can you get notified when certain codes are used to open the door?
      Yes you can - there's a child device that tells you what code slot (not the actual code) was used to open the door, and you should be able to create an event to notify you based on that child device (I haven't actually tried this).

- will the Hub log when the door is unlocked/locked and via what codes? To go back and review the logs later?
      (kids says they came home at 10p, but their code was used at 11p)
      It for sure shows when it was locked/unlocked, looking at my current log the log doesn't appear to show which code did the changes. However you could create an event that logs who locked/unlocked it somewhere, or email it to you or something to essentially create your own log of who changed it at what time.

- Will it notify the hub even if it's open from the inside, without a code?
      Yes it will - if you unlock the lock manually from the inside, you'll see an immediate change in the lock status in Homeseer and in the log.

regards,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
        I've got a bunch of Kwikset locks.

Only when it's in standalone mode. ie. if it's not currently configured to be connected to a z-wave controller, you can program manual codes via the keypad. Once connected to a z-wave controller, my *understanding* (though I've never actually tried to do it manually) is that you have to do the codes from homeseer.

You CAN however, use the locks just fine when the controller is down. ie. you can still lock and unlock the locks with any already programmed code with homeseer down. You just can't change the codes.

Paul
        Thanks Paul! great info on all answers.

The reason for my first answer is my neighbor has an extra Z-wave kwikset he may sale me (he decided he didn't need one for every door). But he's not very technical, he's using Vivent (uggh)

I haven't ordered a hub yet... but sounds like I could go ahead and use it... and then reconfigure when I get a hub.

Comment

The reason for my first answer is my neighbor has an extra Z-wave kwikset he may sale me
          You may want to factory reset it when he gives it to you (instructions in the lock's documentation, available online if he doesn't have it). That will ensure he hasn't left behind any codes that he can use to enter. Then factory reset it again before adding it to Homeseer when you're ready.

I haven't ordered a hub yet... but sounds like I could go ahead and use it... and then reconfigure when I get a hub.
          I highly recommend Homeseer's Z-NET adapter. It's expensive, but far superior to any other I've used, both in range, and ease of use. And designed for Homeseer....

regards,

Paul

Comment

Kwikset locks

+1 on Z-NET. I wasted alot of time trying to get my locks to work with a USB stick..... Z-Net worked like a champ. I have 4 locks no issues....

Comment

You may want to factory reset it when he gives it to you (instructions in the lock's documentation, available online if he doesn't have it). That will ensure he hasn't left behind any codes that he can use to enter. Then factory reset it again before adding it to Homeseer when you're ready.

I highly recommend Homeseer's Z-NET adapter. It's expensive, but far superior to any other I've used, both in range, and ease of use. And designed for Homeseer....

regards,

Paul
              Thanks for info. Planned on factory resets.

Looking at Homeseer Zee S2. My understanding is it has ZNet built in.
              Correct ???

Comment

Looking at Homeseer Zee S2. My understanding is it has ZNet built in. Correct ???
                No the Z-Net is a stand alone Z-Wave transceiver. The Zee S2 comes with a Z-Wave chip included.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

When not connected or connected to Z-wave you can input codes at the lock. You can also, as has been written, change codes are in HS.

Have many Kwikset locks and find they are very reliable.

Michael
                  Michael

Comment

Correct ???
                    Before you choose which Homeseer Controller you want (which will impact if you need a separate Z-NET adapter or not), you may want to look at the available plugins and see what you need, and if they are supported on linux.

While Homeseer runs on both Linux and Windows, and they are moving hard towards everything on Linux, there are still some plugins that will only run on Windows. It's worth checking to see what you want to run and make sure it'll run on linux, before committing to one of the Linux based Homeseer Controllers....

Paul

Comment

{Subscribed}

on my list to do in 6 months
                      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Please note that the Zee S2 is software limited to only 5 plugins total. I would say in a short time many people run more then 5 plugins. Maybe you won't but only you know that.

While HS3 software licenses can be transferred to other hardware the S2 comes with a pi version or lite version of hs3 and it's not the ideal software to own or transfer if you plan on expanding. It is the cheapest and many people start out that way though.

If your looking at a pre packaged units from homeseer (which is not your only option) then pay attention to which software they come with. Ask if you have more questions. Homeseer doesn't only come prepackaged.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                          If your looking at a pre packaged units from homeseer (which is not your only option) then pay attention to which software they come with. Ask if you have more questions. Homeseer doesn't only come prepackaged.
                          Indeed - I chose to buy HS3PRO software and roll my own mini dedicated box, specifically so I'd have the flexibility - I can change hardware without needing a new license, etc. Found it far more flexible than a pre-packaged controller...

Comment

Indeed - I chose to buy HS3PRO software and roll my own mini dedicated box, specifically so I'd have the flexibility - I can change hardware without needing a new license, etc. Found it far more flexible than a pre-packaged controller...
                            I did the same and recommend it to anyone that is capable of it. I did choose not to buy PRO since it doesn't offer any useful plugins I need. Which I think they only have 7 to begin with. Also if your getting HS touch Designer it still cheaper to buy HS3 and the Designer separately. Even if you needed plugins you could still get one or two without reaching the cost of PRO. I think Pro is overpriced unless HS starts producing more and more useful of their own plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                              I think Pro is overpriced unless HS starts producing more and more useful of their own plugins.
                              or you wait for holidays if they still do this.. .
                              if so 50% off...
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                              X