Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for z-wave appliance modules that will remain on after a failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for z-wave appliance modules that will remain on after a failure?

Is there such a thing?

Or better yet, last setting after the power returns?

Thanks

Ken

I've never heard of any but if you could put them in the power fail recovery option within HS3 and they should turn back on.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      I've never heard of any but if you could put them in the power fail recovery option within HS3 and they should turn back on.
      Thanks for the help Rupp,

The HS3 system almost never shuts down, 15 minuets on a ups, before my PC shuts down.

We also have a 25KW gen that I start manually, If I'm home and hit the transfer switch, wallah. no interruption.
      It's those pesky momentary outages drive me crazy.

I was in the middle of moving off X10 and started Z-wave in the last year.

my X0 transmitter took a nose dive.
      So now it z-wave all the way.

I did purchase 10 HS-pa100+ appliance modules from HS, so I'm committed to finding a solution.

My PC only runs HS3 with Touch server and weather display. I only have 23 nodes. Not much in the way of events. 15 time of day actions.

I also have an older version but new Aeon labs energy reader. Can HS monitor momentary outages?

Sorry about rambling on. Just trying to see what direction to go.

Thanks

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        What does HS3 use to know the power goes out? Most people have them on UPS, so if power goes out, but HS3 keeps running, and then power comes back on, how would HS3 know to trigger the power fail recovery?

Comment

Originally posted by W4ZOO View Post
          Is there such a thing?

Thanks

Ken
          What you are looking for is a module such as a Black Cat/Philio that has a Restore Switch state Config. parameter which comes in handy if you loose power.

Black Cat Config Parameter 2,
          Value 0 = Switch Off, 1 = Last Switch State, 2 = Switch On

Pretty sure Fibario devices have a similar config available.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Cat View Post
            What you are looking for is a module such as a Black Cat/Philio that has a Restore Switch state Config. parameter which comes in handy if you loose power.

Black Cat Config Parameter 2,
            Value 0 = Switch Off, 1 = Last Switch State, 2 = Switch On

Pretty sure Fibario devices have a similar config available.
            Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I've already purchased 10 HS-pa100+ appliance modules from HS.

Ken

Comment

Is there such a thing?

Thanks

Ken
              If you are within 30 days of buying those other switches, maybe inquiry about return policy?

Otherwise, you are in the USA... you'll have better luck sourcing Aeon's Smart Switch 6. I have a few of them and enable auto power on after power loss:

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/p...s/1425/configs

See parameter 20.

Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
                What does HS3 use to know the power goes out? Most people have them on UPS, so if power goes out, but HS3 keeps running, and then power comes back on, how would HS3 know to trigger the power fail recovery?
                It wouldn't it's not that elaborate. I'm not sure how you would capture the current states and restore them. It seems it would require a script that is constantly cycling with each device change and store the state. Then you could use a UPS plugin to restore the state of every device once the power was restored. Seems like a lot of work just to keep a few light on.
                For the original question it would easier to use a UPS plugin that could run an event to turn back on the known list of appliance modules after the power is restored.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the help Rupp,

The HS3 system almost never shuts down, 15 minuets on a ups, before my PC shuts down.

We also have a 25KW gen that I start manually, If I'm home and hit the transfer switch, wallah. no interruption.
                  It's those pesky momentary outages drive me crazy.

I was in the middle of moving off X10 and started Z-wave in the last year.

my X0 transmitter took a nose dive.
                  So now it z-wave all the way.

I did purchase 10 HS-pa100+ appliance modules from HS, so I'm committed to finding a solution.

My PC only runs HS3 with Touch server and weather display. I only have 23 nodes. Not much in the way of events. 15 time of day actions.

I also have an older version but new Aeon labs energy reader. Can HS monitor momentary outages?

Sorry about rambling on. Just trying to see what direction to go.

Thanks

Ken
                  Just out of curiousity, if you have a 25KW generator and a transfer switch already why aren't you letting it autostart on power fail? I would think a 25KW generator and a transfer panel large enough to support it would have that feature available already?

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
                    Just out of curiousity, if you have a 25KW generator and a transfer switch already why aren't you letting it autostart on power fail? I would think a 25KW generator and a transfer panel large enough to support it would have that feature available already?

Z
                    My GE 17KW does. It is fantastic. 30 seconds of no power and it starts the generator, 60 more seconds and it is online. When the line comes back up, it transfers back to line power, cools the generator and shuts it down. It has done it when we are at home in the middle of the night as well as when we are away from home. It is NG fueled so it can run as long as needed. So far the longest it has run is about 8 hours.

Everything to do with computers, HomeSeer and the network is on a UPS, so the only real delay is for DirecTV to restart after it gets power.

I'll have to check, but I think most, if not all of my Z-Wave devices come back up at the last state when the power is restored.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I may not be understanding the question correctly, but in my experience most (?) Z-Wave devices retain their state when power is lost and then turned back on. So, if you have a plug-in module that is on, unplug it from the wall and plug it back in, the plug-in module will be on again.

Or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
                        I know this is an older thread, but I stumbled across it after purchasing a few HS-PA100+ devices of my own.

I'm using the APCUPSD plug-in with HS3 and you can see if a UPS (local or remote over TCP) is on battery or line power. There are 5 states in the plug-in.

0 / Offline
                        1 / On Power
                        2 / On Battery
                        3 / Charing
                        4 / Low Battery

It also offers other values like UPS seconds on battery, UPS time left, number of transfers, and a whole buffet of other data. You obviously only know if the circuit the UPS is connected to has lost power, but assuming it's not a circuit that is overloaded and often tripped it could be a good indicator.

Comment

Something I noticed while perusing Amazon Z Wave devices. Might help HS to be aware when the power does go out,even it its still running via UPS or Generator.

https://www.amazon.com/seven7express...keywords=zwave

Comment

Working...
                          X