Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    Scott,
    Can you explain a bit more about what you have in mind? Are you talking about a system that keeps a record of the changes in a way that allows someone to look back at previous states and see what changed and when? Would it offer any way to capture the reason for a change? Could you look at a timeline and see all the things that changed on a particular day, and in what sequence?
    Hi Mike
    That's exactly what I meant. Whether you would need to click on a 'capture' button first or whether it would collect all changes and dates between restarts is debatable. It's not unknown for me to make changes, not save a backup, make more changes which don't work, then when I do roll back I have lost my original changes. If I had a record in a separate DB of what I have changed and when, it would help. It also means that I could do a screen dump / capture of events and have a record of changes from the dump date.

It could be an extension of the change log that Tom Kern has - even automatically update that log?

I wouldn't be able to do this myself, but if a plug-in / script existed I would certainly be interested in buying it.

Scott
    Last edited by ScottRennie; October 25, 2016, 09:06 AM.

Comment

There's this asp page that can help in tracking changes: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=113128. HS3 version is in the second post.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        There's this asp page that can help in tracking changes: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=113128. HS3 version is in the second post.

Cheers
        Al
        Sorry, that was the asp I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottRennie View Post
          Hi Mike
          That's exactly what I meant. Whether you would need to click on a 'capture' button first or whether it would collect all changes and dates between restarts is debatable. It's not unknown for me to make changes, not save a backup, make more changes which don't work, then when I do roll back I have lost my original changes. If I had a record in a separate DB of what I have changed and when, it would help. It also means that I could do a screen dump / capture of events and have a record of changes from the dump date.

It could be an extension of the change log that Jon00 has - even automatically update that log?

I wouldn't be able to do this myself, but if a plug-in / script existed I would certainly be interested in buying it.

Scott
          I don't think a plug in could automatically detect and track changes. I believe there would have to be functions already provided by HomeSeer in HS3 for a plug in to be able to do that. There are a few details that could potentially be detected per earlier discussion, but many of the details of content in Events is only accessible by looking at the events web page. I think HomeSeer would have to either develop this capability in the core application, or at least provide new functions allowing all event details to be accessible so a plug in could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by jhearty View Post
            I don't think a plug in could automatically detect and track changes. I believe there would have to be functions already provided by HomeSeer in HS3 for a plug in to be able to do that. There are a few details that could potentially be detected per earlier discussion, but many of the details of content in Events is only accessible by looking at the events web page. I think HomeSeer would have to either develop this capability in the core application, or at least provide new functions allowing all event details to be accessible so a plug in could do it.
            Ah well... one could dream....

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              That's exactly what the HomeSeer database does for your events and devices.

Older versions of the database are great and essential to have, but I am never sure which one to use! It is not clear to me exactly what type of change causes a new database to be created. If there were more information accessible other than date and time, that would be helpful.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
              X