Amazon Echo - Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo - Alexa

Is there a way to have "Alexa" announce an alert? My example would be if at 8pm a door was open, Alex would say "It is 8pm and bedroom door is open".

Just point me in the right direction if "she" can do that.

Thanks,

AARPaul in Florida

Not at this time. Alexa can only respond to a voice command.
    Jon

Comment

Audio Alerts

OK....If Alexa can't do that, could you point me in the direction on how I would get audio alerts in my house without having to hardwire speakers.

Thanks,

AARPaul in Florida

Comment

That depends on your budget. Sonos is a good choice or there are numerous wireless speakers which you could link back to your Homeseer PC sound card running the speaker client.

You can also use HSTouch running on tablets etc.
        Jon

Comment

I have mine setup to do that.

Firstly you need the event in HS.

I have an old Android tablet that I use as a picture frame.
          I run the HS Touch client on it.
          I have it linked to the echo with Bluetooth.

So when the event runs, the tablet receives and speaks via Bluetooth to the echo!

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
            I have mine setup to do that.

Firstly you need the event in HS.

I have an old Android tablet that I use as a picture frame.
            I run the HS Touch client on it.
            I have it linked to the echo with Bluetooth.

So when the event runs, the tablet receives and speaks via Bluetooth to the echo!
            That's ingenious but you are really only using the Echo as a Bluetooth speaker!
            Jon

Comment

Getting closer...still a bit fuzzy

I have an HomeSeer SEL. I have an unused Bluetooth speaker. How do I get the SEL to communicate with the speaker to tell me if a door has been left open. I can create the event. I'm just a bit fuzzy on getting the speaker to interact with the SEL.

Don't assume that I know what I should know. Speak to me like a 3rd grader. I won't take offense......

Thanks,

AARPaul in Florida

Comment

I'm not a Linux expert so cannot comment how you would install a Bluetooth USB dongle and configure as an audio output device.

You could get around this by purchasing something like this which you could just plug in to the SEL's headphone socket. You would then pair the transmitter with your Bluetooth speaker.
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                  That's ingenious but you are really only using the Echo as a Bluetooth speaker!
                  No - it does lots of other things as well! I can control any device or event from HS using the echo. The feedback via the Bluetooth speaker is just an addon, but a useful addon.
                  As an example you could add some spoken text to an event, ask the echo to run the event and then hear that HS had done so.

Comment

Yep, I totally understand that. My comment was really about the response coming from Homeseer's speech engine and sent over Bluetooth to the Echo. You are not actually hearing Alexa's voice.
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                      Yep, I totally understand that. My comment was really about the response coming from Homeseer's speech engine and sent over Bluetooth to the Echo. You are not actually hearing Alexa's voice.
                      Indeed not - but variety is the spice of life!! I guess you could play around and put a different voice on - but it's fine for me the way it is.

If the speculated push notifications comes to echo - we'll see how that plays out.

Comment

Using the echo as a Bluetooth speaker adds some interesting possibilities. If you have multiple echos, you can direct the output to a specific echo location or all of the echos. I am planning to create an event to speak "someone is at the front door" to my echo in my workshop. I kinda like the idea of a different voice. I'm more likely to listen to it.[emoji3]

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Missing One Step......

How do I get my SEL to output sound to the headphone jack? I see where I can create an event to say something or play an audio file but I'm not getting anything out of the wired speaker that is connected directly to the SEL.

My head hurts...........

Comment

Follow these instructions - see if that helps: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=182940
                            Jon

Comment

Final Question........Maybe

Does the sound have to go through the HSTouch client on a tablet or phone? I was able to get it to work on my iPhone when I opened HS3 Touch. I use Imperihome as my control program.

Can sound play directly from the SEL to a speaker that is plugged into the headphone jack?

Comment

Working...
                              X