Looking for better quality, small, security camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for better quality, small, security camera

I've been using foscam cameras for years, but am tiring of both the large size and questionable build quality, so I'm looking to find something better before I start buying a bunch for my new home.

I picked up an nestcam to play with. I love it in every respect except for two things: 1) it REQUIRES an internet connection, you cannot connect directly to the camera, only to the Nest service. 2) It does not appear to be possible to easily embed the stream into a web page (ie. into HSTouch).

I'm looking for something better. My perfect world it would be:

1. easy to embed
    2. high quality image
    3. a relatively wide angle lens
    4. relatively small
    5. wifi
    6. solid build quality
    7. cloud connectivity a nice-to-have but definitely should NOT be required.
    8. easy alternative mount options (the nest magnet is really cool, though not required)

I'm willing to pay for a good quality camera. Any suggestions?

Paul

I too once used all Foscam, but I have seen the light.
    I use Vivotek for everything now.

Specifically the FE8180 for indoor, and the FE8181V for outdoor.
    Go look at the specs they are fisheye view with on or offboard de-warping.

EXCELLENT, quality!

Comment

Look like excellent cameras, and would otherwise be perfect for my purposes. Except that I do need wifi capability as I can't get wire to some of my locations...

Comment

Look at Amcrest cameras. I haven't used them with HomeSeer yet, but they're supposed to the higher end version of Foscams, and I believer they're made by the same company. The image quality is absolutely fantastic. Better than anything else I've seen, and they're super feature rich. You can get wired, wiredless, POE, or any other version you want. I have about 15 of them installed at the office and 6 at my house.

Comment

Originally posted by jumper4000 View Post
          Look at Amcrest cameras. I haven't used them with HomeSeer yet, but they're supposed to the higher end version of Foscams, and I believer they're made by the same company. The image quality is absolutely fantastic. Better than anything else I've seen, and they're super feature rich. You can get wired, wiredless, POE, or any other version you want. I have about 15 of them installed at the office and 6 at my house.
          These look VERY impressive. I have just started putting cameras in so it's a perfect opportunity for me to try one of these. Thanks!

Comment

I am trying to get into cameras, but I am unclear how you guys integrate them into HS3 and events?
            Do you guys just use it as streaming source for hstouch? or do you trigger events somehow?
            thx.

Comment

My main issue with the Amcrest cameras is the same as one of my Foscam -issues - size. The indoor wireless cameras look (superficially) to be the same footprint as the Foscam cameras, which means big.

That's one of the things I really like about the Nest Cam, how small it is and easy to mount anywhere. If only I didn't need to use their service in order to view the stream.

Paul

Comment

I think Vivotek has a wifi model:
                http://www.vivotek.com/ip8336w/#view...list-grid-view

not sure if the specs meet what you are after.

good luck.

Comment

That might meet my needs. I'll look into it more. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                    My main issue with the Amcrest cameras is the same as one of my Foscam -issues - size. The indoor wireless cameras look (superficially) to be the same footprint as the Foscam cameras, which means big.

That's one of the things I really like about the Nest Cam, how small it is and easy to mount anywhere. If only I didn't need to use their service in order to view the stream.

Paul
                    I have some Foscam cameras too and I think the Amcrests are a good 20% to 30% smaller, and their antennas are built-in. However, for the bigger size over Nest, you get pan & tilt, which is important to me. And, they're cheaper AND they work with any cloud service, not just Amcrest's. Overall, these are the best cameras I've ever owned.

Comment

I have some Foscam cameras too and I think the Amcrests are a good 20% to 30% smaller, and their antennas are built-in. However, for the bigger size over Nest, you get pan & tilt, which is important to me. And, they're cheaper AND they work with any cloud service, not just Amcrest's. Overall, these are the best cameras I've ever owned.

Can you let me know the model Amcrests you like? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin dickie View Post
                        Can you let me know the model Amcrests you like? Thanks

This has been my favorite - Amcrest IP2M-841, but now they have a newer model that supports dual band wifi. It's called IP3M-941.

I have some of their POE and outdoor cameras too. I've been very happy with all of them.

Comment

This has been my favorite - Amcrest IP2M-841, but now they have a newer model that supports dual band wifi. It's called IP3M-941.

I have some of their POE and outdoor cameras too. I've been very happy with all of them.

Thank you very much for the info. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo View Post
                            I am trying to get into cameras, but I am unclear how you guys integrate them into HS3 and events?
                            Do you guys just use it as streaming source for hstouch? or do you trigger events somehow?
                            thx.
                            All my cameras are controlled by BlueIris. It is a really good security camera software. I use the Blue Iris Plugin for HS3. Either side can trigger events - BI based on camera motion and HS3 based on motion sensors and door sensors.

Comment

Been playing here with HD IP cameras over the last few years. First one was three layered boards, next came two layered boards (which i used) and now seeing all in one camera boards around 38mm in diameter. That makes for a small camera footprint these days. These are very module with plug in wireless modules, USB/SD, audio in, RTC, et al.

Check out the Axis M3045-V 1080P mini dome. Thinking Axis has a la carte wireless optional stuff.

Here utilize Grandstream/Grandstream OS and Zoneminder (Bunto 16.04 64 bit server) these days.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Pete; December 22, 2016, 05:18 PM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X