Something happened! But what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After moving in with my girlfriend (now my wife) and discovering her house does not have a neutral line I started using the Leviton VRI06-1LZ with no issues.

The one in the bathroom has been working well for over a year with no issues at all.

A little over a week ago something happened. Homeseer could not connect to the switch and the switch would no longer control the light.

The light was about half dim and it was not possible to turn it off.

I assumed the switch had died so I ordered another one.

I installed it this weekend and it has the same results.

The light is about half dim all the time and it isn't possible to turn it off.

So I thought maybe the new switch was bad so I took another from another room that was working fine (also a Leviton VRI06-1LZ) and it had the same results.

The light is half dim all the time and it isn't possible to turn it off.

Moving this switch back to the room it came from and it works fine.

So I've eliminated the switch.

What else could it be?

What kind of bulb? Have you tried swapping it? Might be a bad neutral between the light and the panel as well. Check all the wire nuts in the light fixture and if you know the next place the wiring ties in, check there too. Everything else on the same circuit working ok?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did try changing the bulb even before changing switches.

And yes, everything else is working fine on the circuit.

Also, we are using the original switch right now (just a plain ol' switch, nothing z-wave enabled) and it works fine with that switch.

I'll check the wire nuts in the morning.

Comment

Did you resolve this? I have one or two lights that still have old 14-2 BX and I want to put a zwave dimmer in place. I was considering simply grounding the neutral and ground wires to the BX.

BTW, the dimmer in place now, controls four BR40 LED bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
          I was considering simply grounding the neutral and ground wires to the BX.
          You do realize that's a NEC violation?
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Did you resolve this? I have one or two lights that still have old 14-2 BX and I want to put a zwave dimmer in place. I was considering simply grounding the neutral and ground wires to the BX.

Unfortunately, no.

Currently I'm considering hiring an electrician to run neutral wires so I can get back to some of the switches I am more familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              You do realize that's a NEC violation?
              Please do not do this. You could potentially electrocute someone or cause a fire.
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Just checking my logic. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

I can eliminate the switch from the equation because:
                1.) I bought a brand new switch and it had the same issue.
                2.) I tried using an existing switch that I know is working fine and it had the same problem (and once I returned the switch the switch was fine).

So that leaves the wiring?

The old school non-zwave switch still works just fine. Just none of the zwave switches.

What else am I missing?

Comment

@sparkman
                  @rmasonjr

Thank you for making me come to my senses (I really do know better but it's amazing what a wandering mind will think of). I will figure out how to run a new line with a neutral.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Comment

@sparkman
                    @rmasonjr

Thank you for making me come to my senses (I really do know better but it's amazing what a wandering mind will think of). I will figure out how to run a new line with a neutral.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.
                    No worries - I am in the process of running neutrals myself and with the weather being a little milder, it's easier to get into the attic and fish the wires to the existing boxes.
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
                    X