upgrading to new PC and moving to Znet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading to new PC and moving to Znet

I'm currently running HS3 with an Aeotec stick on a small Asus Vivostick and want to move my installation (fairly large) to a windows server I have, using a Znet interface located via hard LAN connection centraly in my house.

Having a hard time figuring out the exact steps and cadence to do this effectively.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Smart move on the Z-Net. It's the best investment I've made to date in HA hardware.

What kind of feedback are you looking for exactly?
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
      Smart move on the Z-Net. It's the best investment I've made to date in HA hardware.

What kind of feedback are you looking for exactly?
      that's great to hear!

I just reread the instructions for the Znet... seems pretty straight forward. my thinking is moving the controller from the Aeotec to the Znet first (per instructions).

Then I need to move the HS3 installation from the Asus to my windows Server. (?). best way to do that?

Also, I read a thread this morning that seems to contradict the "optimize" instructions in the Znet manual... I don't have any (or VERY Few) Gen5 devices on my setup... so wondering if I should still do this?

Comment

On moving the HS3 installation: Shut down HS3 and make a complete copy of the HS3 folder. Then on your new system install the same version of HS3 and with it shut down just dump your old folder contents on the new one writing over any files. You should look into using BLLan to make a regular backup of your entire HS3 folder in case things go pear shaped, which can happen from time to time. It's a lot easier to just shut down and dump a backup over your borked installation. Then of course you'll need to reconfigure your USB devices and so forth as they'll be on different ports on your new PC.

About optimization and the Z-Net: It should be fine to do it once. You just don't need to do it all the time. Some people report problems arising when they do that. Once you have it optimized you can go in and manually change any stupid routes it found. For some reason an optimize always wants to connect to a switch of mine, which is rather close to the Z-Net, by way of a different switch on the other side of the house.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Are both systems 64 bit and are the install directories on both the same (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3)? If so, then copying everything over top will work great. If they are installed in different directories, then copy over top and then search the files in the HS3 directory and all sub-directories for anything that contains the old path and manually fix them to the new path. I had to do that recently when I moved from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system as the default directory was different.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            Hi Tom,

Are both systems 64 bit and are the install directories on both the same (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3)? If so, then copying everything over top will work great. If they are installed in different directories, then copy over top and then search the files in the HS3 directory and all sub-directories for anything that contains the old path and manually fix them to the new path. I had to do that recently when I moved from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system as the default directory was different.

Cheers
            Al
            They are both 64 bit.. but one is Home and one is Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
              They are both 64 bit.. but one is Home and one is Pro.

Won't matter.

Comment

i'm in the middle the znet install... and getting quite a few "node can't be reached" during the full optimization, even though they are normal zwave devices (like lamp modules) and not battery powered.

this normal/OK? Does this indicate those nodes are out of direct range?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                  i'm in the middle the znet install... and getting quite a few "node can't be reached" during the full optimization, even though they are normal zwave devices (like lamp modules) and not battery powered.

this normal/OK? Does this indicate those nodes are out of direct range?
                  Take a look at this thread for some new ideas on optimizing: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185782.
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                    Take a look at this thread for some new ideas on optimizing: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185782.

Oh., I've been following that thread closely!!!

OK... what does this mean? (i have my Znet in the wine closet)

Warning: Wine Closet Z-Net: is waiting to start an optimize until the interface commands to be transmitted empties. Will wait until 7:32:06 PM

Comment

Working...
                    X