What makes a SMART home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Frank!

Yup; here thinking when AI is part of the home and only interaction will be conversation about status.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.17.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

What is needed is a Sensor that can measure volume, then you will know how many people, including babies are in the room.
      Then we have a smart sensor that can control light levels, environment etc without any intervention.

Have no idea how it can be made, but once it appears then the house will become more than smart, it can adjust to varying number (volumes) of people.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
        AI is still in the distant future, but one thing I think that could help and could be done right now is sensor additions to the system. If you add a sensor to the bedroom and there is already a controllable light switch (or vice versa), automatically tie the two together and setup basic events to control the light by motion. That is the beginning of "smart".
        Maybe not right now, but within a year or two if someone decided to develop it. HS3 can't do that now, because there is no automated way to create events other than one shot timed events. I'd love to see your idea developed in HS3 though!

There are some variables to the equation that might force a question/answer wizard be launched upon device add detection such as "what room is this added device in?" as it may be tough to know if it is in the same room or a nearby room, or "what level do you want the light on while the house is awake and while the house is in sleep mode?" It could take a full day's cycle and a light sensor in one of the added devices to know if the room has windows to know if the light should go on all the time or just when dark out, or another wizard question to ask about that if no light sensor is present in the room.

Comment

Two words: context and intent. If a home doesn't understand these then it's not a smart home - it's a convenient home.

Also, I think the "smart" home definition is expanding beyond switches and sensors. It now includes practical information and knowledge. The Echo started this and Google Home has taken it to the next level. The sci-fi fantasy of asking a question out loud, into thin air, and receiving a useful response is here. Facts, definitions, conversions, language translation, climate info, statistics, sounds, videos, music, and many more things are now available through natural language. No need to memorize commands, just talk to it. To me, that's starting to sound "smart" and its usefulness is leaps and bounds beyond simply turning on lights.

I think we are very close to a truly smart home. We just need a system that recognizes a situation based on context and then has enough initiative to ask a question, make a suggestion, or complete an action on its own. We shouldn't have to anticipate every situation and then make corresponding events for them.

Comment

Originally posted by bkazm View Post
            I think we are very close to a truly smart home. We just need a system that recognizes a situation based on context and then has enough initiative to ask a question, make a suggestion, or complete an action on its own. We shouldn't have to anticipate every situation and then make corresponding events for them.
            This right here makes me think of some examples. I have a scene setup to put the house into entertain mode which does the lights and disables the motions (most of us probably have something similar). Wouldn't it be nice for the house to know that you are entertaining based off a few things like a calendar event, people coming to the house. It's only 2 of us in my house, so if there is a 3rd, I am entertaining... maybe, they could just be coming over to borrow a cup of milk or something... but again, the house would know this.

Also if I am entertaining, and I forgot to turn the music on, it just does it, or at least asks if I want it on.

Comment

Originally posted by bkazm View Post
              I think this is true, but for this to happen we need better sensors (or one great multi sensor) to monitor many things. I like the volume idea above, but then if it's only volume, how will it know if it's me, my 170 pounds of dogs and cats or a horde of rats laying siege!

I'm wondering if a thermal sensor wouldn't be better . Measure the masses of heat. No, no, no... I'm sure blankets might throw those off...

I'm sure it will take a good mix of different sensors to do it bundled as one "presence" sensor. Volume, thermal mass, motion tracking, etc.

I also think that some kind of sensor like a kinect could potentially do it as well.

Sorry... I'm off on a tangent.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
              MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post

I'm sure it will take a good mix of different sensors to do it bundled as one "presence" sensor. Volume, thermal mass, motion tracking, etc.
                With all the baby talk earlier... I kinda chuckled thinking about a sensor like this in the bedroom and what possible outcomes the house would "think" of...

Ok, now I am off tangent.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                  With all the baby talk earlier... I kinda chuckled thinking about a sensor like this in the bedroom and what possible outcomes the house would "think" of...

Ok, now I am off tangent.
                  Lol.... I thought the same thing...
                  "Frank, would you like me to turn in the sexy time lights for you?" Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

While I don't consider our home smart, I do believe that it's automation makes our lives more comfortable and convenient.

With motion sensors in each room and events written by me, we hardly ever actually touch those expensive HS dimmers and switches.

With SONOS and additional events, we are alerted if someone is at the front door, if the front doorbell was rung, if the washer or dryer cycles have finished, etc.

With Alexa, we can aske her to turn on the fireplace or...

With PHlocation and events, our home is ready for us when we come home.

With Blue Iris and events, we're notified on our cellphones when someone has entered our "personal space".

With temperature sensors, we enjoy constant temperatures through events. No more sweating or freezing at night when sleeping.

Okay, you get the idea. The smartness of the home is through the writing and fine tuning of events. If the house was truly smart, then events with set parameters, such as temperature set points, would be fine tuned by HS4+.

For now, our system hasn't paid for itself in energy savings but it has in convenience.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Michael
                    Michael

Comment

My home is smart enough to know when we are not home. It sets back the thermostat and minimizes lighting. When we are on a trip I periodically check my security cameras and HS3. On the way back home, I reset the thermostat via HSTouch. My favorite smart feature is when the house comes to life as the car pulls into the driveway.

Over the holidays we made several road trips. It was great to see the Christmas lights come on as we drove into the driveway.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Here is an interesting report from McKinsey (a market research company) about connected (smart) homes.

http://www.mckinsey.com/spContent/co...p-mck-oth-1701

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                        X