Turn off phones and doorbell, oh and remotely turn on/off air conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn off phones and doorbell, oh and remotely turn on/off air conditioning

Not sure it is all that "cool" but one of my earliest automations was back in my X10 days. We lived around the corner from my sister-in-law, we both had very young kids, she always seemed to think if she was awake in the early mornings eveyone should be too. Our kids slept much later than hers, so she would tend to phone our house at like 7am just to tell us something, if that didn't work she would walk over and ring the doorbell. So, I set it up that a X10 module triggered a relay and cut off both the phones, and the doorbell at a preset time, and then turned them back on later in the morning. That carried over into my new house, and still does it today (although just doorbell now, no longer have a landline).

As for the air conditioning, I had the telephone controlled for X10, and I made a interface box to connect to my furnace/AC. I could call house when we were on our way home from vacation, turn on the Furnace & AC, and the house would be cool by the time we got home. Of course now all of this is done on a cell phone... ahh the good old days!

If you can control your AC with your phone, it can be controlled via automation.
    Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

How did I not see this... anyway, we are talking about 35years ago now, and yes it could be automated, but phones and thermostats were not what they are today that's for sure. lol

Comment

Working...
      X