My Automations With HomeSeer - Window Blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Automations With HomeSeer - Window Blinds

I just got this working. I learned about how to use Zigbee and found a 4 button remote. Here are the high level steps:
    1. 4 Button Zigbee Remote sends a wireless Zigbee signal
    2. The SONOFF 3.0 USB receiver receives the signal
    3. This USB receiver is connected to a Raspberry Pi
    4. The Raspberry Pi is running Zigbee2MQTT and it then sends an update to the associated MQTT topic on my MQTT broker
    5. The MQTT broker is running on my HS4 HomeSeer computer and the topics are updated here
    6. This is subscribed to the HS4 plugin mcsMQTT and a HomeSeer HS4 device is created for selected MQTT topics
    7. This new HomeSeer HS4 device changes state based on the updates to the MQTT topic
    8. A HomeSeer event is created that when this devices changes state to then control over ZWave the iBlinds

I wanted to thank everyone that helped me get this working!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com

wow this is super cool... but overly complicated for me to use!!!!
    it is amazing that no one has come out with a simple solution..

side question: at my work, we have TONS of windows... i mean this building is HUGE... and in just the room I am in there are 24 windows and every one has blinds...
    when i come in, in the morning they are closed and throughout the day they go up... on rainy days like today they are all the way up but if the sun started coming out, they would start to lower to an appropriate level... what do large businesses use to control blinds????
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

That is a good question. I have no idea what a large business would use, but I am sure it is not these little battery operated ZWave controlled retrofit iBlinds. They are too cumbersome and costly for that number of windows.
      Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
      jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

still fine work you have there!!!! I have one window up high in the foyer that would love to put a wireless blind solution, some day...
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by jeanv View Post
          I just got this working. I learned about how to use Zigbee and found a 4 button remote. .....
          That's cool! It's so nice to be able to do it via Alexa, especially after you get all comfy in your chair! Man, I haven't used a remote since the PalmPad in the old X10 days. I miss them!

I think that right now, the iBlinds are about the coolest home automation addition out there. They are relatively inexpensive, they work, and if you have compatible blinds, they take maybe 10 minutes to install. LOL! When my son would sit in a dark room because he was too interested in his phone to open the blinds, we used to yell in to him (after 3-4 reminders), "Open the damn blinds!" Since iBlinds, we just tell Alexa to "Turn on the damn blinds!" Or, 3-tap on or off the wall switch in a room with blinds. Very rarely they will not work in the morning and we have to "recalibrate" one or two. Love them!

Comment

We have z-wave shades on the main floor. I have them open at 7 AM or Sunrise, whichever is last, and close part way 30 minutes before Sunset, then fully close at Sunset. I also have Google Assistant voice control of them via Node-RED, including being able to stop them when they are opening or closing. My wife still uses the remote that came with them to manually change them as her thoughts on when they should open/close change with the moment.

Wonder if I could modify the iBlind motor to work with Shutter Slats...
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            1070 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            104 Events
            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
            Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Hello, I'm consideirng the iblinds for the 3 blinds in the bedroom. We are a zwave house so I'm a bit confused about the level of complexity here. Wouldn't I simply have 3 new zwave devices (one for each blind) that I can setup a Sunrise/Sunset events to open/close?

Comment

Originally posted by lazarustx View Post
                Hello, I'm consideirng the iblinds for the 3 blinds in the bedroom. We are a zwave house so I'm a bit confused about the level of complexity here. Wouldn't I simply have 3 new zwave devices (one for each blind) that I can setup a Sunrise/Sunset events to open/close?
                If you want something that is very simple and just works I'd recommend the switchbot blnd controllers. I installed mine last year and they haven't missed a beat. They precisely open every morning and close every night. The solar charges keep the batteries fully charged even on the darker, north side of my house. Plus there are now two plugins to control these if you want HS4 to manage your blinds. If not they have built in timers. I've now got 11 of these inservice and would highly recommend them. Takes about 10 minutes to install and so far so good for my installation.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

That is correct. And if like the ones I have, you use a % value for the level of opening. Mine also came with remotes I could pair with then blinds for "manual" control. See my second image for how these devices appear in HomeSeer.

I actually have an Event which opens them at Sunrise OR 7 AM whichever is Later (first image below). Right now it isn't much different but when it is darker in the morning, we prefer to wait until there is more light outside. Some people even use a light sensor to control the open/close of theirs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	110
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1644916

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	117
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1644915
                  Karl S
                  HS4Pro on Windows 10
                  1070 Devices
                  56 Z-Wave Nodes
                  104 Events
                  HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                  Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

If you want something that is very simple and just works I'd recommend the switchbot blnd controllers. I installed mine last year and they haven't missed a beat. They precisely open every morning and close every night. The solar charges keep the batteries fully charged even on the darker, north side of my house. Plus there are now two plugins to control these if you want HS4 to manage your blinds. If not they have built in timers. I've now got 11 of these inservice and would highly recommend them. Takes about 10 minutes to install and so far so good for my installation.
                    I wish these were an option I could use. I was looking at Switchbot for my curtains. However, the blinds don't have the rod, instead they use the 2 string setup. Unless I missed them having another style of supported blinds.

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post

That is correct. And if like the ones I have, you use a % value for the level of opening. Mine also came with remotes I could pair with then blinds for "manual" control. See my second image for how these devices appear in HomeSeer.

I actually have an Event which opens them at Sunrise OR 7 AM whichever is Later (first image below). Right now it isn't much different but when it is darker in the morning, we prefer to wait until there is more light outside. Some people even use a light sensor to control the open/close of theirs.
                      Very cool... Yes, this is what I expected. I just wasn't sure this was the case.

Comment

I wish these were an option I could use. I was looking at Switchbot for my curtains. However, the blinds don't have the rod, instead they use the 2 string setup. Unless I missed them having another style of supported blinds.
                        I had this issue on 4 of my blinds so I replaced the cord tilt with a wand tilt. It was a simple process.
                        https://fixmyblinds.com/pages/how-to...rizontal-blind

The mechanisms were about $4 each on Amazon. The rods were about $5 each on Amazon.
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                        X