Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water tank level - fibaro smart implant

Hey all
    Am trying to set up a zwave water tank level in my rain tanks...
    I have a pressure sensor that sits in the tank with 4-20ma output connected to a 4-20ma to 0-10v circuit board.
    board.Wanting connect the 0-10v output to the fibaro smart implant but have noticed that the fibaro manual requires a pull up resistor..no mention of ohms required

Would anyone know the resistance required

Thanks

I did it will a shelly Uni and a submersible liquid level transmitter(QDY30A model)
    Cheap and easy way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roobrother View Post
      Hey all
      Am trying to set up a zwave water tank level in my rain tanks...
      I have a pressure sensor that sits in the tank with 4-20ma output connected to a 4-20ma to 0-10v circuit board.
      board. Wanting connect the 0-10v output to the fibaro smart implant but have noticed that the fibaro manual requires a pull up resistor..no mention of ohms required

Would anyone know the resistance required
      I briefly read the manual on the Fibaro Smart Implant. I would connect the sensor's output to input 1 (or 2) and ground, plus power the sensor with whatever DC voltage it requires (most likely with a wall wart). You can also power the sensor from the smart implants power output (P) providing it matches the power input requirements of the sensor as shown at the bottom of page 12.

You would then connect a 500 ohm resistor between the input (input 1 or input 2) and ground. This will yield an input range of 2 to 10 volts with your sensor.

If using input 1, change parameter 20 to 4; if using input 2 change parameter 21 to 4 (analog input without internal pull-up resistor). You would also want to look at parameter 63 and change it from the default reporting interval of 0.5 volts to something smaller (this is the minimum change needed to report the smart implants corresponding zwave output). Also, change parameter 64 for the reporting interval time (maybe use something like every minute).

Now you have a method of reading the pressure sensor. Since the overall objective is to relate pressure to level, I would then fill the tank to a few different levels and record the level vs. the zwave reading for the sensor. Put these x,y values into an Excel spreadsheet or just manually plot them. Hopefully the plot results in a straight line, meaning you have a linear relationship.

You would then need to determine the equation of a line that would convert the zwave reading to level (Y = mX + b) where Y would be the level and X would be the zwave reading (you need to determine the values for 'm' and 'b' but Excel can do this for you or you can calculate this manually).

Once m and b are determined you can then use a simple HomeSeer script to convert the zwave reading to level (I would create a virtual device for the level). I show how to do this with a garage door monitor here.

Caveats: The manual didn't mention 'bit' accuracy on the analog inputs. This would determine the resolution/accuracy you would get.

You could also quickly test the 500 ohm setup by using a voltmeter. Just place the voltmeter on DC volts and connect a 500 ohm resistor between the sensor's output terminals. Place some pressure on the sensor and see how the voltage changes.

Hope this helps. I did this while drinking my first cup of coffee this morning, so hopefully someone else can proof check this methodology.

OOPS: Reread you post and you already have a 0-10 volt output via a "circuit board" interface. If that's the case just connect the 0-10 volt output to the smart implant's input 1 or 2 as I described above (you don't need the 500 ohm resistor) and use the parameters also listed above. The equation also gets easier as you no longer have a Y offset ('b' value).
      --------------------------------------------------
      **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

BraveSirRobbin
        Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post

You would then connect a 500 ohm resistor between the input (input 1 or input 2) and ground. This will yield an input range of 2 to 10 volts with your sensor.
        Thank you for this ...I'm suspecting my circuit board" interface" is faulty so am going to give 500 ohm resistor a go

stevenheff

I should have gotten your liquid-level transmitter(QDY30A model)
        as the outputs
        4-20mA,0-5V1-5V0-10Vthree-wire

​As mine
        https://www.auscomtech.com.au/produc...0-5m-6m-cable/

Output Signal is only: 4-20mA;

Comment

This article may help. Scroll down to the "2-Wire Transmitters Current Loops" and note the connection schematic that shows how to connect the power supply, transmitter (pressure transducer), resistor (electrical load) and voltage sensing analog to digital converter (inputs 1 or 2 on your Fibaro unit).

https://instrumentationtools.com/2-w...current-loops/

Also, make sure the 500 ohm resistor is rated at least a 1/4 watt.

Comment

BraveSirRobbin
            Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post

I
            Once m and b are determined you can then use a simple HomeSeer script to convert the zwave reading to level (I would create a virtual device for the level). I show how to do this with a garage door monitor here.
            I have had a look at the URL i couldn't find the "simple HomeSeer script" and I now struggling with a working script
            If you could assist, I would be muchly appreciated
            where m= 32.72 and b= 13.648
            I'm trying to get an output in % of the tank level
            I have tried using events..
            ie if tank- 1.5v then = 15%

Comment

I'm out of town and need my cheat sheet at home as I rarely do scripting...but with all the gurus here I'm sure someone can help.

Create a virtual device (name it 'level')
              Create a text file that will be your HomeSeer script that will basically perform the following actions:
              • hs.getdevicevalue (your voltage device)
              • perform the calculation Y = 32.72 * (voltage device value) - 13.648
              • Set the Y value to your 'level' virtual device using hs.setdevicevalue

Make sure the file is in your scripts directory of HomeSeer

Then I would create an event that runs every so often (5 minutes?) that will run this script

Comment

BraveSirRobbin

Thank you for this...great starting point...
                I hope your "out of town" is for pleasure

Comment

I just spoke with Tyler in Support at HomeSeer about this Smart Implant device. He looked in the call log and said they had only a few requests for help on it. I mentioned that there a many comments and requests for help on this forum and he said if they don’t get Support calls for an item they don’t log the requests and don’t add the feature to the Z-Wave driver.

May I suggest that all of you call HS Support at 603-471-2816 and ask for this device to be supported in the code base. Only then will it ever work right.​

Comment

Working...
                  X