An e-paper interface to HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An e-paper interface to HS

I've been working on an minimal interface using an inkplate 6 plus. All functions run events or change devices in HS. I wanted to show what is possible with this cool device. You can see it in action here. The more interesting parts:

- Vacuum screen controls two Wyze vacuums.
    - Music screen talks to a Chromecast audio.
    - Quiet allows user to pause automations which might be noisy (blinds, water pump, fans)
    - Alarm waits for a code before disarming a house alarm. A battery will keep it alive even if power is cut.
    - HS can command changes to different screens, send an image or text, and turn the screen light on/off.

All of the remaining buttons are lighting scenes. The little dot at the top right shows if a car is in the driveway.
    I'm willing to give away the code, but I can't offer support beyond friendly emails. This is done in Arduino ide.

Very cool. Are you going to share/open source the code? I see it's ESP32 based.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Please explain significant advantage of e-paper over using connected tablets(windows, android, etc.) AS HS INPUT/OUTPUT devices.

Comment

Bob, the advantage is aesthetic and behavioral. I do not like backlit screens because they feel cheap and artificial. I do not like the temptation to display attention grabbing graphics (aka dynamic data). When I was using HS1 and building screens for the Audrey, I became nearly obsessed by the idea of a hub showing everything possible, and as a consequence I was always looking at it. The constraints of e-paper keep me from going down that road again. I like the subtlety of it.

Comment

I just find what Mike is doing cool. With my time investment in HSTile, I'll stick with that for a while.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
          X