Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Single Coolest Thing You Do with HomeSeer?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyber-Wizard
    replied
    Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
    Hi Cyber-Wizard

Are you able to detect here re-attaching to Wifi even without HS running? If so, would you mind sharing how you do it?

Thanks

mark
    Nope, I leave HS running at all times for a number of reasons. With HS running the UltraMon plugin does the heavy lifting of monitoring my network.

Leave a comment:

• mark_anderson_us
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyber-Wizard View Post

I've also been using UltraMon to detect when my wife's Android reconnects to the WiFi network. If the reconnection occurs outside of daylight hours then the Christmas lights turn on shortly after she arrives home. A simple little bit of WAF work that.
    Hi Cyber-Wizard

Are you able to detect here re-attaching to Wifi even without HS running? If so, would you mind sharing how you do it?

Thanks

mark

Leave a comment:

• Olbrit
    replied
    Getting fed up with batteries, so starting with my ST814 Temp/Humid devices I'm in the process of repositioning them a few feet above power outlets, fishing 4.5VDC adapter cables to them, and replacing the power outlets with Z-Wave devices. The coolness of this is that now the Temp/Humids never need batteries replacing and in order to rescan / optimize / configure / etc., all I have to do is recycle their power outlets remotely that gives me a 5 minute window while they stay awake.

Leave a comment:

• Moskus
    replied
    Originally posted by Jakob.Sand View Post
    I use this for Ultrasonic: http://www.pepperl-fuchs.us/usa/en/c...s&prodid=24957

$110 here in Denmark. has to I/Os with easy teach. One channel even has window function that enables me to both have a long detection that gets an incomming car - and a "safe zone" near my end wall for that is the Window function.
    Great! Thanks!

Which IO interface do you use for HomeSeer?

Leave a comment:

• rustynail
    replied
    Bulb saver for Home Theater Projector - The bulb in the projector costs $400 and has an average life of only 2000 hours. It is very easy for me to fall asleep in a recliner while watching a show. To prevent the projector from being on for an extended time while I sleep, I used the motion sensor which determines occupancy of the theater for HVAC control to trigger a one hour timer to start when the projector is turned on. Each time the sensor detects movement in the theater, the timer resets for another hour. If the timer expires the theater overhead lights flash three times to alert me that the projector will turn off in 10 minutes. If I am awake, a wave of my hand will reset the timer for another hour of viewing, otherwise the lights will flash again and the projector will turn off. The sound stays on, so as not to wake me up, my wife takes care of that.

Leave a comment:

• Cyber-Wizard
    replied
    Mine's not nearly as cool as most but I love it.

A strip of LEDs mounted underneath the bathroom counter powers on with the bedtime event whether manually or automatically triggered. This lights up the bathroom floor with a soft green glow allowing me to...locate...the facilities at night without having to turn on a brighter light.

I've also been using UltraMon to detect when my wife's Android reconnects to the WiFi network. If the reconnection occurs outside of daylight hours then the Christmas lights turn on shortly after she arrives home. A simple little bit of WAF work that.

Leave a comment:

• skybolt
    replied
    I thought I would have read this one, but maybe to basic to post.

I use my Elk alarm interface to HS to send text msg's on who's coming and going. Specificaly when the kids come home and don't call mom. She knows there home safe by the txt msg. Alot of other associated things like that, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by skybolt; January 1, 2013, 01:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jakob.Sand
    replied
    Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    Wow! I'd like to have more technical details about the devices you use to achieve this, especially the IR beams solution. I'd like to do like this myself.
    I use this for Ultrasonic: http://www.pepperl-fuchs.us/usa/en/c...s&prodid=24957

$110 here in Denmark. has to I/Os with easy teach. One channel even has window function that enables me to both have a long detection that gets an incomming car - and a "safe zone" near my end wall for that is the Window function.

Leave a comment:

• Moskus
    replied
    My 3 doors car port is now fully automated.
    PIR's outside automatically open doors if person walks up to car port.
    Only the doors with cars in open.
    When we drive into the courtyard throught the gates - the correct car port door (with empty space) opens up.

Inside when entering the car port with the car - my Ultra Sound distance sensor pics up a car is incomming and a screen in the end wall with HSTouch displays distance to end wall until the car is in the right distance from the end wall. My wife likes the distance to wall indicators on the HST screen - "it's like entering the car wash hall". After 3 min. of inactivity in the car port with a new car in it - doors closes etc.

When leaving with the cars the HSTouch screens diplays road temperature, traffic cam, meteo-warnings, and the latest 3 news headlines. At the same time the gates start to open for quick exit.

Bluetooth (5 Jon00 clients) is used to gather how many cars and persons are at home - and gates are locked if nobody is home. Pictures are taken all the time cars go in and out - and if we are not home send with mail.

In the middle of the gates driving out to the main road overview to the left and right is difficult. I therefore have IR beams across the road on each corner of our property - to send warning signal to the driver of the car. Only problem is at mist - the beams can not reach across the road to the reflector

Wow! I'd like to have more technical details about the devices you use to achieve this, especially the IR beams solution. I'd like to do like this myself.

Leave a comment:

• Jakob.Sand
    replied
    Originally posted by reidfo View Post
    This is really cool. Have you considered using a laser for the road crossing? Seems that most would cut through the mist. And it'd look pretty cool too when it mists.
    Thanks - I had a lot of fun install this. Lasers are not good I think because the road is public.

Leave a comment:

• reidfo
    replied
    When we drive into the courtyard throught the gates - the correct car port door (with empty space) opens up.

Inside when entering the car port with the car - my Ultra Sound distance sensor pics up a car is incomming and a screen in the end wall with HSTouch displays distance to end wall until the car is in the right distance from the end wall. My wife likes the distance to wall indicators on the HST screen - "it's like entering the car wash hall". After 3 min. of inactivity in the car port with a new car in it - doors closes etc.

When leaving with the cars the HSTouch screens diplays road temperature, traffic cam, meteo-warnings, and the latest 3 news headlines. At the same time the gates start to open for quick exit.

Bluetooth (5 Jon00 clients) is used to gather how many cars and persons are at home - and gates are locked if nobody is home. Pictures are taken all the time cars go in and out - and if we are not home send with mail.

In the middle of the gates driving out to the main road overview to the left and right is difficult. I therefore have IR beams across the road on each corner of our property - to send warning signal to the driver of the car. Only problem is at mist - the beams can not reach across the road to the reflector

This is really cool. Have you considered using a laser for the road crossing? Seems that most would cut through the mist. And it'd look pretty cool too when it mists.

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jakob.Sand
    replied
    Car port, gates and car - automatics

Leave a comment:

• Steve Q
    replied
    Here is a different approach to monitor your Fridg or Freezer:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...399#post864399

Steve Q

Leave a comment:

• mstrickland
    replied
    Frige alarm

Sorry for the slow reply.

The sensor on the freezer is just a DSB04100-ZWUS Aeon Labs Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor but a bit customized.

I found that it would not repeat exactly on the same door position so I ended up with a different plain old magnetic door/window sensor that would close a contact. The one I bought seemed to be more accurate than the permanent magnet with the Aeon switch. I created an electro magnet that is powered by an old small plug in wall transformer that is triggered by the magnetic switch. The electro magnet is used in place of the permanent magnet and triggers the Z-Wave just as if the permanent magnet got closer or moved away. When the door is closed the electromagnet is off so it won't get hot. That makes the sense of the Z-Wave switch logically backward but it really did not matter.

At first I tried to make something mechanical with a lever that "amplified" the movement of the last 1/2 inch of door closure. I was going to mount the permanent magnet on the lever and have it trip the Z-Wave sensor. I think that would have worked but I just did not have the machine tools to create something rigid enough to be reliable.

I saves a "thaw" about once a month now. Like reidfo and the door bell (below) my coworkers think it is odd when my phone goes off and I tell them I have to call home to tell my wife to close the freezer door.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X