Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Single Coolest Thing You Do with HomeSeer?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to choose..

Highest WAF
    Infrared integration with IRTrans allowing us to use our Humax remote to control just about everything (TV, Mac mini, Lights, scenes, etc).
    http://www.domoticaworld.com/project...olling-lights/

Coolest
    - iPhone push notification integration
    - Integration with GPS tracking system & Geo-fencing
    - Car presence using temperature sensor
    - Monitoring everything (temp,power,humidity,counters,doors,toilet flushes, etc)

Cheers
    DJ

Comment

Yeah Moskus. iphone video is not great. I hate that aspect ratio... I don't own a video camera otherwise. Was just a quick vid to show a friend.

Comment

Automatic lighting,pool, speech motion/door/window announcements, lawn sprinklers, Automatic HVAC control by presence/time/motion, controlling the Lights, HVAC and B&K Audio throughout the house from touchscreens and phones. All has been setup for a long time and We completely forget that this stuff is cool.

But, the things we get a lot of comments about.

Speech Announcments, windows, doors, driveway, time announcement, weather announcements and etc all have an attention sound that is played first. During halloween though ( october ), the attention sound is automatically replaced by creepy, scary sounds. Since it is automatic it sometimes catches us off guard when it starts the 1st of october. But the guests never quite are prepared for it and the responses are priceless.

My newest project is running the Homeseer pc and associated items off of solar. Homeseer monitors a bank of batterie and will switch everything to run off the solar panels and battery bank when there is enough solar power. Which sometimes will last for days.

StevenE
        Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

On the washing machine idea i came up with a quick and easy way to do this. the Aeon plug in switch also monitors power usage,

i made 2 events

1: trips when the power usage goes over 50 watts and turns a virtual device on

2: when power dips under 20 watts for more than 1 min and the virtual device is on , then speak and send the text, then turn the virtual device off.

this only requires the switch and 2 events ( assuming your already using zwave )
          detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

I have three i am happiest about.

1. Integration with Google Latitude on my, and my wife's phone, so during the day when the house becomes 'unoccupied' the Samsung Navibot gets turned on, and sent an Auto command (IR) to vacuum the house, all while we are away.

2. Integration with my local fire brigade with which i volunteer, through a pager scanner (PDW Pocsag decoding software), so that when i receive a fire call; software running on the homeseer PC sends an email to itself, Homeseer picks up this email (through Jon00's POP script) extracts the street directory reference and downloads a street map of the location of the call (Jon00's Capture Script), it then extracts the type of call, does a TTS, emails me via prowl, as well as through email (with the call details and map) and turns the lights on. The whole process takes less than 30 seconds from receipt of message, lights on, TTS, map being downloaded, and being received on my mobile, by which stage i normally need to be dressed and out the door (even if i just woke up)

3. Having the morning news, weather, and current conditions read to me whilst having a shower in the morning via Bluetooth speakerphone (Handsfree car speaker)
            HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
              On the washing machine idea i came up with a quick and easy way to do this. the Aeon plug in switch also monitors power usage,

i made 2 events

1: trips when the power usage goes over 50 watts and turns a virtual device on

2: when power dips under 20 watts for more than 1 min and the virtual device is on , then speak and send the text, then turn the virtual device off.

this only requires the switch and 2 events ( assuming your already using zwave )
              That's the easiest way I've seen thus far.

I assume this method would this also work for the dryer?

Comment

I assume this method would this also work for the dryer?
                most dryers are 240 volt. i dont think aeon has a 240 volt switch, if they do it should work just fine.

I am adding one to the dishwasher. WITH a magnetic door / window sensor on the dishwasher door.

when HS sees the dishwaser has been run, the 1st time the door is opened she will yell over the speakers to the person to take ALL the dishes out ( anyone with kids will appreciate this one )
                detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
                  most dryers are 240 volt. i dont think aeon has a 240 volt switch, if they do it should work just fine.

I am adding one to the dishwasher. WITH a magnetic door / window sensor on the dishwasher door.

when HS sees the dishwaser has been run, the 1st time the door is opened she will yell over the speakers to the person to take ALL the dishes out ( anyone with kids will appreciate this one )
                  I used to use the Aeon switches with power monitoring. Occasionally, I'd get false readings of zero; and occasionally it would conk out altogether until I unplugged them. It was far easier than my ultimate solution of using optocouplers with a Flyport; but far less reliable.

I found a guy who did something similar to me-- using an Ardunio. He essentially makes his one optocoupler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPZte...are_video_user
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                  Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                  weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                    I used to use the Aeon switches with power monitoring. Occasionally, I'd get false readings of zero; and occasionally it would conk out altogether until I unplugged them. It was far easier than my ultimate solution of using optocouplers with a Flyport; but far less reliable.
                    I think the key with the Aeon switches, at least for me, was to configure it so that you only get the sensor's wattage and turn off the meter wattage and cumulative values. Also, sending every 10 seconds on a Z-Wave network is excessive. I bumped mine up to every minute.
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by travisdh View Post
                      2. Integration with my local fire brigade with which i volunteer, through a pager scanner (PDW Pocsag decoding software), so that when i receive a fire call; software running on the homeseer PC sends an email to itself, Homeseer picks up this email (through Jon00's POP script) extracts the street directory reference and downloads a street map of the location of the call (Jon00's Capture Script), it then extracts the type of call, does a TTS, emails me via prowl, as well as through email (with the call details and map) and turns the lights on. The whole process takes less than 30 seconds from receipt of message, lights on, TTS, map being downloaded, and being received on my mobile, by which stage i normally need to be dressed and out the door (even if i just woke up)
                      THIS is cool. I volunteer too and would love to set this up. GREAT idea!

Comment

If i can get around to it, i will try and put together a writeup and video showing how it works, of course the messages will need to be censored (due to the presence of addresses etc) but it will show the point of the system and demonstrate the TTS, Email, and all other useful information.
                        HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Comment

I know this is just a homebrew setup, but i can't help but think that with input from government authorities that there would be real scope for Homeseer to expand into whole building automation.

Look at the ability to expand and customize, and then imagine having Fire stations around the country / state / country being 'woken' up by the presence of a fire call, with the messages feeding in by TCP/IP through the members each messaged using a commercial high uptime Prowl, the locks normally being locked at midnight but then override so with a swipecard access could be granted access only when there is a fire call.

Doors automatically closing and locking after 15 minutes so things don't get stolen from the station (you would be surprised how often this happens)

Comment

Added two flow charts to show (more or less) the process .
                            Can move it out to another thread if needed.
                            Attached Files

Comment

My personal favorite is the ability to remind my wife (or anyone else in the house) that the main door was left open for more than 5 minutes. Basically I have three events and scripts using my Schlage LiNK deadbolt.

1- The first one its triggered when the deadbolt is unlocked and creates a global variable holding the date and time when the event runs.

2- The second script is time triggered and checks every minute if the lock is open, if it is it compares the current date and time against the variable created. If more than 5 minutes passed from the moment the deadbolt unlocked, it will pick one of 5 random (and funny) phrases to alert using the kitchen speaker client.

3- Third script is triggered when the deadbolt is locked, if the door has been opened less than 5 minutes it will just delete the variable. But if the door was opened for more than five minutes it will speak "Thanks!"

After that, I love my iPhone UI on HSTouch and an event that turns off lights, adjusts the A/C turns fans and check doors when I go to sleep.

BTW, this thread is awesome, I've learned a lot ended up with a lot of new ideas for future projects!

Comment

Finally got around to putting up a youtube video of how my fire response system works for those that are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ZZkAnORoU

Comment

Working...
                                X