Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Single Coolest Thing You Do with HomeSeer?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernieb,

Of course you can contact me later. In fact I happened to have an ethernet cable for two temperature sensors (using 4 wires) measuring temperatures in the coolant pipes near the indoor unit. For the Modbus I need 3 wires (A, B and GND). The rs485/tcp-ip converter is quite near the HS server (which is in the basement and the indoor unit on the 1st floor). The A1M unit is near the indoor unit, but outside (there was not enough space inside the indoor unit). So, basically I have rs485 signal going from 1st floor to the basement (Modbus cables can be very long). In case you decide to have a heat pump I can give my script.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber-Wizard View Post
      Nope, I leave HS running at all times for a number of reasons. With HS running the UltraMon plugin does the heavy lifting of monitoring my network.

Sorry, meant HSTouch on the Android device.

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
      HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
      2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
      USB UIRT
      Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
      WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
      HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
      HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
      2GIG Thermostat
      BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
      BLUPS
      UltraLog (SQL2008)
      Jon00 Plugins
      Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
      Global Cache IP2IR
      Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
        Sorry, meant HSTouch on the Android device.
        Ah, gotcha!

Nope, that's where UltraMon comes in. The MAC address of the WiFi interfaces in our Androids are entered into UltraMon and it detects when they are online. I've then created an event that triggers whenever my wife's device reconnects via WiFi and it then powers on the Xmas tree. It also sends an email to my account letting me know she got home OK. She's a little creeped out by that but that was part of the fun.

It's actually a little slow for practical usage as the Android sometimes reconnects to the WiFi when the car pulls in the driveway and other times it doesn't reconnect until she's been in the house for several minutes. It will work much better once I pair the handhelds with some of the machines around the house via Bluetooth.

HSTouch doesn't need to be on the Android device at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber-Wizard View Post
          Ah, gotcha!

Nope, that's where UltraMon comes in. The MAC address of the WiFi interfaces in our Androids are entered into UltraMon and it detects when they are online. I've then created an event that triggers whenever my wife's device reconnects via WiFi and it then powers on the Xmas tree. It also sends an email to my account letting me know she got home OK. She's a little creeped out by that but that was part of the fun.

It's actually a little slow for practical usage as the Android sometimes reconnects to the WiFi when the car pulls in the driveway and other times it doesn't reconnect until she's been in the house for several minutes. It will work much better once I pair the handhelds with some of the machines around the house via Bluetooth.

HSTouch doesn't need to be on the Android device at all.
          Thanks

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
          USB UIRT
          HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
          2GIG Thermostat
          BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
          BLUPS
          UltraLog (SQL2008)
          Jon00 Plugins
          Global Cache IP2IR
          Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Coolest thing I've done to date is control the HomeSeer with Siri: uber-cool.

You can read about here and download working version of SiriProxy and all instructions

http://www.hometoys.com/emagazine/20...-linux-vm/2087

VMWare download is about 250MB, Raspberry PI is about 430MB

Enjoy!

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
            USB UIRT
            HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
            2GIG Thermostat
            BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
            BLUPS
            UltraLog (SQL2008)
            Jon00 Plugins
            Global Cache IP2IR
            Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Finally find myself in a position of having a credible idea to post on this thread..

My coolest thing (IMO) is:
              I have a large tv screen in my kitchen, that feeds from a windows HSTouch client. For full WAF, I needed a way to display selected webpages on the screen in the easiest way possible.

Browse the net on my iPad / iPhone, if I come across something I wish to show on the big screen (cooking recipe, match results etc), I hit the IOS tweet button (3 easy taps), and within 1 minute the webpage is displayed for everyone to see...

How?
              Private twitter account
              Twittseer Plugin checking for new tweets every 1 minute. So if you catch the timing right, sometimes the webpage shows instantly.
              Trigger event on new tweet to parse html address and show a HSTouch screen with a browser control.

All I need now is some control over the browser to get rid of the odd 'We use cookies' popups, and scroll a little if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by bibowoka View Post
                How?
                Private twitter account
                Twittseer Plugin checking for new tweets every 1 minute. So if you catch the timing right, sometimes the webpage shows instantly.
                Trigger event on new tweet to parse html address and show a HSTouch screen with a browser control.
                That is the coolest use of the TwittSeer plugin I have ever heard of!

Would you mind sharing your script?
                HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Would you mind sharing your script?
                  Disclaimer here… I know snippets of code, and just patch things together in the easiest way I can see. This works for me, but I’m sure some guru’s could clean this up and point out improvements.

Save this code as "twitparse.vb"

Code:
                  Sub Main(ByVal Parms As Object)

Dim x As String, devicetwittseer As String, deviceURL As String, status As String, strBody As String

devicetwittseer = "`2"  'Enter Twittseer Timeline Device here
                      deviceurl = "t51"       'Create and enter device to store the URL here

strBody = hs.devicestring(devicetwittseer)
                      strBody = Replace(strBody, Chr(9), "")
                      strBody = Replace(strBody, Chr(10), "")
                      strBody = Replace(strBody, Chr(13), "")
                      status = strbody

x = InStr(1, status, "http", 1)
                      status = Mid(status, x)
                      x = InStr(1, status, ":", 1) - 4
                      status = Mid(status, x)
                      x = InStr(1, status, "<br>", 1) - 1
                      status = Mid(status, 1, x)
                      hs.setdevicestring(deviceurl, status)
                  End Sub

Make yourself a new account on twitter (unless you want your usual followers to see your website postings?!?), sign in using your iPad/iPhone app and make sure IOS is set to use the twitter app.

Don't enter anything in here, just hit 'Send'

Done!

Hope that's everything you need? Let me know if I can be of any assistance!
                  Last edited by bibowoka; February 4, 2013, 05:02 AM. Reason: Changed image hosting as per Moskus comment..

Comment

It's a good guide, I'm sure. But I'm not able to see the images.
                    EDIT: NO, there they are!

I'll leave it to you to post it in the TwittSeer forum thread, if you want to.
                    It's very interessting to see a simple plugin used in such a creative way.
                    Last edited by Moskus; February 4, 2013, 05:02 AM.
                    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                      It's a good guide, I'm sure. But I'm not able to see the images.
                      EDIT: NO, there they are!

I'll leave it to you to post it in the TwittSeer forum thread, if you want to.
                      It's very interessting to see a simple plugin used in such a creative way.
                      I've just noticed you're the creator of Twittseer.. good work Moskus, and THANK YOU!!!

It's the ease of use from my iOS devices that makes it so great. The other option was to email the link to HS, and parse it that way, but that involved more than 3 taps, and a recipient address entry.

I will post it to the thread shortly. Thank you.

Comment

Comment

Very cool

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                          USB UIRT
                          HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                          2GIG Thermostat
                          BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                          BLUPS
                          UltraLog (SQL2008)
                          Jon00 Plugins
                          Global Cache IP2IR
                          Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Very simple presence detector.

One contact defined zone of my DSC alarm are connected to a key holder in the front hall and the keys of my car, contact both metals of the keys holder. So when I came home, I just put my car keys in the key holder and the "house" knows I am at home (Zone Closed). Currently, this is a condition to permit to turn On the master bedroom LG TV, and the LG Living TV, as well for the squeezebox multiroom audio change the music from my nanny's taste to my preferred music. Speech announcements are redirected to the master bedroom and not to the entirely house.

Comment

Originally posted by pepodoc View Post
                              One contact defined zone of my DSC alarm are connected to a key holder in the front hall ... (snip)
                              Wow, that is a very clever idea! Naturally being a geek, I try the more complicated things such as RFID tags, Blutooth readers, or even the Wayne-Dalton Z-Wave garage door remote bridge thingy... This trumps all of those in simplicity and functionality!

Of course one complication for me is that my keychain consists of a plastic coated keyfob (RFID) for my main vehicle and a nylon bag with an emergency CPR mask in it, so there is not a whole lot of metal for me to reproduce this one - I would actually have to add keys - but I still like it very much.
                              Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I did something like this years ago, except the keys hung on a sprung hook, sort of like an old telephone receiver did. It worked really well. I gave it up and went to RFID because the wife never hung up her keys and was complaining when the right things didn't happen when she came home. Now the house knows she's coming way before she gets here. Works out well for me too, I can get off the couch and look like i was doing something constructive instead of having a nap.
                                Marty
                                ------
                                XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                                Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X