Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    [I][B]
    There is really no maintainance once configured to your liking.
    Yea sure.. just like events. Get it working and then never touch it again. Not in my world!

These days I spend as much time tuning the network (pfSense) as I do with HS3 management. Hey, I'm not complaining. I like the control that pfSense gives. I use the 3 router strategy and the rules between the three have become robust. I currently have open ports and the rules to protect those has been a recent focus and I'm to a place I feel comfortable. I need to implement openVPN to take it to the next level.

Pete, you were my mentor in getting pfSense installed. I'm very appreciative of your direction and help. It has been a great addition to my toolbox however it is likely overkill for my basic needs. But the product is a joy to use. Once you get over the learning curve (it is steep at first), it makes sense.

Thanks Pete!

Comment

My main issue was how to change the default IP address of PFSense.

Very easy. Note that the devices of your network get access to the internet using the default gateway or IP address of the router (PFSense).

With a VGA monitor and keyboard the default console looks like this:

Code:
       0) Logout (SSH only)                  9) pfTop
       1) Assign Interfaces                 10) Filter Logs
       2) Set interface(s) IP address       11) Restart webConfigurator
       3) Reset webConfigurator password    12) PHP shell + pfSense tools
       4) Reset to factory defaults         13) Update from console
       5) Reboot system                     14) Disable Secure Shell (sshd)
       6) Halt system                       15) Restore recent configuration
       7) Ping host                         16) Restart PHP-FPM
       8) Shell
      For the LAN side you would utilize
      Option #2 set interface(s) IP address.

Not this is the same IP utilize for the WebGUI except that if you change it on the WebGUI you may lose access via the web gui.

Really easier to reconfigure your home network on a piece of paper.

Here is an example.

Decide on the maximum number of devices you think will exist on your home network.

Note this is the same for any sort of SOHO router or router combo.

Say your max will be 50 devices.

Utilize this IP subnet calculator located here: hxxp://www.subnet-calculator.com/

It is just bean counting. Note that this relates only to IP4.

So here I pick 62 devices max (to round off the number) with a subnet of 255.255.255.192 or a mask bit of 26.

The IPs in this subnet could be (an example) ==> 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.62

Here you could set the IP address of your PFSense box to be 192.168.0.1. This is also known as the gateway address.

Relating to DHCP you set up a DHCP scope. The scope if the range of IPs you want to utilize for DHCP

So for above you could set IPs 192.168.0.50 to 192.168.0.62 for the scope providing DHCP IPs in that range.

For DHCP reservation in PFSense you configure a device you see in the status of DHCP to a static IP below the DHCP scope. By default PFSense will utilize the MAC address of the device.

I am old school here and arrange my subnet according to type of device. IE: managed switches use IPs xx to xx, servers use IPs xx to xx, desktops xx to xx, et al. I also utilize a spreadsheet here with device description, DNS name, IP, et al.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 6.00
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Robert Brown

In the 1990's a router configuration was mostly a manual effort with router tables in text files manually edited. The firewall rules were also just text files.

Today with the Linux UFW (Uncomplicated Fire Wall) configuration it is still mostly just text files edited via the command line interface.

PFSense takes it an easy on the eyes web gui and installation of plugins is just running scripts in BSD (via GUI).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel CPU - Mono 6.00
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.00

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          My main issue was how to change the default IP address of PFSense.

Very easy. ...

I am old school here and arrange my subnet according to type of device. IE: managed switches use IPs xx to xx, servers use IPs xx to xx, desktops xx to xx, et al. I also utilize a spreadsheet here with device description, DNS name, IP, et al.
          Pete:
          Thank you!
          Elliott

Comment

Working...
          X