Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete
    replied
    Here switched from /home/user/Homeseer to /HomeSeer to /opt/HomeSeer.

Leave a comment:

• drhtmal
    replied
    I put it in /usr/local but technically it can go in whatever subdirectory you want. Wherever you put it when you untar, it should create a HomeSeer directory.

Leave a comment:

• screamincamaro
    replied
    What directory does the
    hs3_linux_<version>.tar.gz file need to be placed in for the sudo tar xvf hs3_linux_<version>.tar.gz command?

Leave a comment:

• MrRayburn
    replied
    Hello,

I am new and slowly working thru the steps. Everything has been successful thus far but I have a question about this line:

Install HomeSeer: sudo tar xvf hs3_linux_<version>.tar.gz

Do I (1) type this information into SSH/Putty
    or (2) this is a cue to have the file downloaded to a flash drive and install it from that location?

I haven't tried either one. I am hoping to know the answer before sitting down to do it.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Thank you Randy.

Will edit/tweak post a bit. Noticed too there is no Linux text to speech installation mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• rprade
    replied
    Originally posted by pete
    Prepare the RPi for HomeSeer installation:
    1. Shut down the RPi: sudo shutdown -h now .
    2. Remove the monitor and keyboard from the RPi and make all further connections from a Linux computer terminal with SSH or a Windows computer SSH client like PuTTY.
    3. Remove the micro SD card.
    Pete;

Are you sure about step 3?

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    started a topic Correct Installation of HS3 Standard on Raspberry Pi 3

Correct Installation of HS3 Standard on Raspberry Pi 3

Copied original post to here.

pmoneill wrote this forum post on December 5, 2017

Thank you Peter for an excellent guide.

Correct Installation of HS3 Standard on Raspberry Pi 3

I have not found any official Linux installation instructions from Home Seer while none of the forum posts are complete and accurate. Here is the process I developed over the last week. I am not an expert so I'll take the community's inputs to improve this post.

OverviewLinux Installation
    Install Raspbian Lite:
    1. Download Raspbian Stretch Lite to a PC.
    2. Write the Raspbian image to a micro SD card with the Etcher SD card image writer for Linux and Windows ( https://etcher.io/ ).
    3. Insert this micro SD card into the powered-down Raspberry Pi 3.
    4. Connect the RPi to your network with an Ethernet cable if you are not using Wi-Fi because it is about to automatically download more software.
    5. Attach a monitor and keyboard to the RPi.
    6. Boot the RPi by powering it on and let it do its automatic installations and updates, which might take up to 15 minutes.

If you will only connect to your RPi 3 via Ethernet and USB then disabled the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios at the firmware level to improve security and to save power. Add these lines to /boot/config.txt:
    dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
    dtoverlay=pi3-disable-btsudo raspi-configsudo shutdown -r now .

Prepare the RPi for HomeSeer installation:
    1. Shut down the RPi: sudo shutdown -h now .
    2. Remove the monitor and keyboard from the RPi to make all further connections from a Linux computer terminal with SSH or a Windows computer SSH client like PuTTY.
    3. Power up RPi

HomeSeer HS3 Installation ssh <hostname>
    2. sudo apt update
    3. sudo apt install mono-complete
    4. sudo apt install mono-vbnc
    5. sudo apt install mono-xsp4

After installation, make sure you update the builds. Repeat this pair of commands several times to update all of the dependencies.
    1. sudo apt update
    2. sudo apt upgrade

Install HomeSeer: sudo tar xvf hs3_linux_<version>.tar.gz

The tar script creates the /home/pi/HomeSeer directory.

HomeSeer can be started by cd HomeSeer followed by sudo ./go , but this only runs HomeSeer while the SSH console session is active.

Better is to run the heart of the go script in the background without logging:
    sudo mono HomeSeer/HSConsole.exe &sudo mono /home/pi/HomeSeer/HSConsole.exe &

Addendums / adjustments done to above:

A - Prepare the RPi for Homeseer installation - adjustments to line #2 and line #3
    B - Installation of Linux text to speech
    C - Using current version of Mono as posted on the Mono site rather than default RPi repository stuff.

Last edited by Pete; August 15th, 2018, 03:33 PM.
Working...
X