Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Change the status / value of a device without side effects?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Change the status / value of a device without side effects?

So I notice that devices and scenes get out of sync pretty often with what's actually the case and I'd like to change their status in homeseer via scripting or events without firing off new events or sending any commands to devices.

Here is an example:

I have a scene called "morning wake-up lights" I trigger that a scene on, and it sends an insteon command that tells several lights to turn on over a few minutes time. Later when leaving for work I tell homeseer to turn off the bedroom lights (different scene)

At this time I'd like to have homeseer know to set the status and value for the wake-up scene to off, but I don't any events or devices to respond to that...

Another example:

I have a device called "All Livingroom Lights" there is an event attached to that which will turn on or off all of the livingroom lights. If I turn off one light after that, I'd prefer homeseer not show that "All Livingroom Lights" is on when that's not in fact the case.

Is this possible or am I being too fussy?

Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

What happens when you change the value of a virtual device depends on the existence (of lack of) triggers and conditions that depend on that device value. I suspect most of what you are concerned about will not happen, but the easiest way to discover unexpected dependencies is to do some experimenting.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

PS. On the event page there is a drop down for 'Referencing Devices'. If you select the device you are concerned about, you can get a list of all the event s that reference it. That should give you a good idea of what will happen when the value of the device changes.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

I do specifically have triggers around some of these things.

It's not always virtual devices too...

The Insteon plugin creates devices for the groups. Lets say I have one call "bedroom lights for off" that also turns off the fan, and have on called "bedroom lights for on" that doesn't turn on the fan. Both of these in my opinion should be off if anything is out of sync with what is actually true. Turning them off will turn off all of that stuff, which is not the desired effect. Throw in weekday morning lights group, the bathroom group, the master suite group that includes the bathroom and it becomes a mess to look at the devices and see what the actual status is...

Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
          I do specifically have triggers around some of these things. It's not always virtual devices too...

The Insteon plugin creates devices for the groups. Lets say I have one call "bedroom lights for off" that also turns off the fan, and have on called "bedroom lights for on" that doesn't turn on the fan. Both of these in my opinion should be off if anything is out of sync with what is actually true. Turning them off will turn off all of that stuff, which is not the desired effect. Throw in weekday morning lights group, the bathroom group, the master suite group that includes the bathroom and it becomes a mess to look at the devices and see what the actual status is...
          If the devices are created by a plug-in, then you cannot control how they behave, but there is a solution. That is, ignore the devices that you do not control and that provide unuseful, misleading or ambiguous information. Hide them from the device view you use. Create your own virtual devices that respond the way you want them to, and use those instead.

Comment

Working...
          X