This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Control Indoor Lighting with the HS-FLS100+ Floodlight Sensor

What you'll need for this project:Click image for larger version  Name:	HS-FLS100-Front-300.png Views:	1 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	1249748

Replacing "Sunset"

It's easy to turn lights on when it's dark using the "SUNSET" trigger and "Lights on at sunset" is probably the single most common event in all of home automation. However, SUNSET is a time trigger and darkness doesn't already happen at exactly the same time relative to sunset. Also, it doesn't take into account cloudy, rainy or overcast conditions. I recently retired my "sunset" event after I installed one of our new Z-Wave floodlight sensors. If you'd like to do that, here's what to do:
    1. The default Luminance Report Interval for the sensor is 10 minutes. Change this to 3 minutes to get more frequent Luminance updates. From HS3, click on the root device of the sensor, then click the Z-Wave tab and then click Settings to reveal these options. Enter 3 in the value field and click the Set button at the left.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Luminance-Report.jpg Views:	2 Size:	30.7 KB ID:	1249695
      ​​
    2. At this point, you could simply create an event that triggers when the Luminance value dips below 200 (or something similar) and turns on your lights. However, that trigger could occur on a cloudy afternoon (or morning for that matter!) so it makes sense to add some conditions to the event to help reduce false triggering. The method below works well for me.
    3. Create a virtual device Outside Light Level with these values. If you're not familiar with virtual devices, check out this video.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Outside-Light-Level-Device.jpg Views:	1 Size:	13.2 KB ID:	1249696
      ​​
    4. Then create events to change the value of the virtual device based on Luminance and time of day. I created these events
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Outside-Light-Level-Events.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.7 KB ID:	1249697
      ​​
      The Dawn event details look like this:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Dawn-Events.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.1 KB ID:	1249698
      ​​
      Day looks like this:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Day-Event.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.9 KB ID:	1249699
      ​​
      Dusk looks like this:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Dusk-Event.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	1249700
      ​​
      Night looks like this:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Night-Events.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	1249701
      ​​
    5. After you populate these events, you'll need to create one more event to actually turn lights on when this virtual device becomes (and stays) Dusk. In my case, I constructed the trigger to base this on TWO Luminance reporting cycles (virtual device is Dusk for more than 3 minutes.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Lights-on-events.jpg Views:	1 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	1249702
      ​​
    6. Obviously, you'll also need to create an event (if you don't already have one) to turn these lights off later in the night.
    That's about it. I've been using this method for several months now and it's been working extremely well for me. Give it a shot!
    Last edited by macromark; September 26th, 2018, 02:36 PM.
    website | products | support | youtube
Working...
X