Controlling Denon Reciever with Harmony Remote and Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling Denon Reciever with Harmony Remote and Homeseer

I am trying to figure out how to get this working and am in need of help. I would like to be able to send commands using my Harmony Elite / Harmony Hub to Homeseer which would in turn pass them along to the Denon to control it. I am doing this because I am controlling the Denon remotely and need IP control. Harmony's IP control is extremely lacking.

I have purchased MeiHarmonyHub plugin and have installed the trial of BLDenon plugin.

BLDenon -

I have one of my receivers set up and I see that it has created devices for controlling volume, power and input for ZONE 1 of the Denon. Changing these actually controls the Denon. However, I would like to control Zone 2 as well and I am not sure how to add devices for this.

I also see that you can somehow create manual scripts to send IP commands to the Denon, but I have no idea how to do this. I see sample scripts in the help file, but I don't see instructions on where these actually go.

MeiHarmonyHub -

I have my hub set up and I can see which devices are set up on it. I see that it has also created some devices in my list and I see commands for each device. It seems like these would just allow me to control devices that are already set up in the harmony hub. Is it possible to edit these commands for each device, so that they would call commands that I build out in BLDenon? Is there some sort of virtual device that I can create that would show up in the Harmony software so that I can sent commands from my Elite remote to homeseer?

I am still new to Homeseer and am slowly learning how to get around. I guess I am just trying to figure out how I can bridge the gap between the two and control more devices over the network via my Harmony remote by funneling commands through Homeseer. Any assistance in getting this to work would be greatly appreciated.

Blade sirmeili

I am making progress...

I figured out that there is a check box in the AVR settings to make the zone 2 and 3 options show up under devices.

I also figured out that you can add scripts as an action under an event. I tried a few based on the BLDenon documentation, but I had no success. I tried both of these:

Dim theResponse As String = ""
    theResponse = hs.PluginFunction("BLDenon", "", "SendDenonCommand", {1,"Zone 2 Power","ON"})
    hs.writelog("Info", "The response for the command is: " & theResponse)
    theResponse = Nothing

Dim theResponse As String = ""
    theResponse = hs.PluginFunction("BLDenon", "", "SendRawCommand", {1,"Z2ON"})
    hs.writelog("Info", "The response for the command is: " & theResponse)
    theResponse = Nothing

I tried checking the immediate script command box and pasting it there, as well as saving them to a .vb file and loading them that way. Neither of which worked.

The saga continues...

Comment

I currently have this event set up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_76831.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1285522

If I run the event with the blue arrow, it turns on Zone 2. If I fire off the Master TV activity in the Harmony it does nothing. It seems that the MeiHarmonyHub plugin is not sensing the start of the activity. I have also changed it to IF "An Activity Has Started" but that didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by hellerbrewing View Post
        I currently have this event set up:

If I run the event with the blue arrow, it turns on Zone 2. If I fire off the Master TV activity in the Harmony it does nothing. It seems that the MeiHarmonyHub plugin is not sensing the start of the activity. I have also changed it to IF "An Activity Has Started" but that didn't help.
        I just purchased a Denon x4500h. I am doing something very similar, and it is working fine for me. The trigger is essentially the same as yours, but I am not using any Denon plugins... I just run an immediate script command (http to the IP address).

What you have above should work, though. I would first verify your Harmony Elite hub is updated to the XMPP developer firmware .210, which you can force via the Harmony Windows application; MeiHarmonyHub requires this. There is newer firmware that will allow you to permanently enable XMPP, but it looks like we are unable to force a sync to that version. Seems like we need to wait for the push to our devices.

From the Logitech Community post:

Here are the instructions to access the program by updating the firmware on your Hub.

Launch the MyHarmony software on your desktop computer.
        1. From the login page, press the following keys to access the tool:
          1. On Windows - Press Alt + F9
          2. On Macs - Press Fn + Option + F9 or Option + F9.
        2. Scroll down to the bottom where it says “FIRMWARE TO ENABLE XMPP. FOR DEVELOPERS ONLY.”
        3. Be sure to read through the short warning and disclaimer to understand the impact of installing this firmware.
        4. Click on Update Firmware.
        5. Plug in your Harmony Hub via USB and click on Install.
        - Kevin

Comment

May I sugest that you use the IP /Serial plugin for HS3 By drule:
          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...r-hs3-by-drule

It is a far simpler way to control Denon Marantz or anything chatting IP http calls.

Comment

Originally posted by kevins669 View Post

I just purchased a Denon x4500h. I am doing something very similar, and it is working fine for me. The trigger is essentially the same as yours, but I am not using any Denon plugins... I just run an immediate script command (http to the IP address).

What you have above should work, though. I would first verify your Harmony Elite hub is updated to the XMPP developer firmware .210, which you can force via the Harmony Windows application; MeiHarmonyHub requires this. There is newer firmware that will allow you to permanently enable XMPP, but it looks like we are unable to force a sync to that version. Seems like we need to wait for the push to our devices.

From the Logitech Community post:

Here are the instructions to access the program by updating the firmware on your Hub.

Launch the MyHarmony software on your desktop computer.
            1. From the login page, press the following keys to access the tool:
              1. On Windows - Press Alt + F9
              2. On Macs - Press Fn + Option + F9 or Option + F9.
            2. Scroll down to the bottom where it says “FIRMWARE TO ENABLE XMPP. FOR DEVELOPERS ONLY.”
            3. Be sure to read through the short warning and disclaimer to understand the impact of installing this firmware.
            4. Click on Update Firmware.
            5. Plug in your Harmony Hub via USB and click on Install.
            - Kevin
            Thank you, I did this today and have gotten the plugin working. Now I can sense when "Watch TV" is selected and send commands to turn on zone 1 and change the input. The problem I am now having is that there is apparently no way to sense when something like the volume up button is pressed. I can send these commands to the Denon, but I am not sure how to trigger it from a button press on the remote.

I would be interested in an example script to send commands to the Denon, if you wouldn't mind providing that. I haven't purchased the plugin yet, still working on the 30 day trial. I have found the list of IP commands that can be sent.

Comment

Originally posted by larhedse View Post

It is a far simpler way to control Denon Marantz or anything chatting IP http calls.
              I will dig into this, thank you for the recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by larhedse View Post

Yes, I definitely agree with this. I use it for my serial commands to a couple of Pioneer AVRs which never seem to like IP connections, and a couple of Sony TVs. I only had two specific use cases for the Denon control, so it was just as easy to send the command in an event.

Either way, drule's method is best for repetitive use.

- Kevin

Comment

Maybe yo could try The Big5 plugin ? https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...347-about-big5
                  ?
                  + you get all the other protocols if you want to use them later

Comment

Big5 seems a bit complex, and I can not find any example of how to implement for example a Denon or Marantz receiver to work with Big5. It very simple in drule's plugin - but I can not work it out in Big5.

Comment

risquare Maybe ask the author?

Comment

Originally posted by hellerbrewing View Post

Thank you, I did this today and have gotten the plugin working. Now I can sense when "Watch TV" is selected and send commands to turn on zone 1 and change the input. The problem I am now having is that there is apparently no way to sense when something like the volume up button is pressed. I can send these commands to the Denon, but I am not sure how to trigger it from a button press on the remote.

I would be interested in an example script to send commands to the Denon, if you wouldn't mind providing that. I haven't purchased the plugin yet, still working on the 30 day trial. I have found the list of IP commands that can be sent.
                        It has been a while since i used the BLDenon plugin (I have a Denon reciever as well), but I don't think it sends out when a button is pressed. It might let you know when the volume changes though.

I know for a fact that the Harmony won't let you know on button presses (I wrote MeiHamronyHub). The hub never sends out any updates on button presses. It only sends messages on changes in activity. There is never a reason for it to as their phone apps have no need to know this information.

I'm surprised that BLDenon doesn't update some kind of volume device. However based on their phone app, their implementation in the receivers is slow as all get out.
                        Thanks,
                        Frank

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                          risquare Maybe ask the author?
                          To what use - I already have a simple working solution, I just though I test Big5, which failed, so I'll pass on Big5 - it looks good, but then well does not work.

Comment

Give that there is no way to do this with Harmony, and the limitations of the harmony hub won't allow it to reliable control my equipment in the basement, I am going to start looking into an ipad-based solution with HS3Touch/Homeseer and bypassing the Harmony alltogether. It's a shame that Logitech has chosen to not implement more IP control with the Harmony Hub. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X